National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, not sure if this is the place for this question but... I've check many auctions, forums and discussions as well as the gun bible and have yet to see mention of a stainless steel HI - Standard Dura-matic M101. My father left this to me and I believe it's from the 60's (#1151110). All stainless with plastic molded dark brown grip. Any information would be appreciated as well as value. Gun is 95% plus. Thanks
Will post pictures later

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone seen one? Hi Standard

Okay, not sure if this is the place for this question but... I've check many auctions, forums and discussions as well as the gun bible and have yet to see mention of a stainless steel HI - Standard Dura-matic M101. My father left this to me and I believe it's from the 60's (#1151110). All stainless with plastic molded dark brown grip. Any information would be appreciated as well as value. Gun is 95% plus. Thanks
Will post pictures later

·
Registered
870 Posts
Are you SURE it's not nickel plated? Even then it's probably not factory----the Dura-Matic was the low end of the
High Standard line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This gun has been in my family for 50 years. At your question I re-examined the gun and I have to say if it's plated then it looks as good as any stainless pistol I own. It's been used out of a leather holster as long as I can remember and yet shows absolutely no wear. Now you know why I posted the thread. What you suggests makes sense, as the M101 was a basic handgun, but this appears to be an anomaly. I'd swear it's stainless and yet that doesn't really make sense. Would love to be able to contact the original manufacturer. Will try and upload a picture soon. Thanks for the input.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
According to the 31st edition of Blue Book of gun values those pistols were mfg from 1954-1970. Value is listed at $200 at 95% and $325 at 100%. You can add some bucks if you have the box the gun came in.

I see no mention of the Stainless Steel frame or blue steel for that matter either.

Hope that helps some.

Maybe Popeye, 220combat or gunner can add more detail about this pistol. They are the experts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I've found similar information and also no mention of Stainless steel or Nickel. You've have to see the gun but there's no way it's been plated. Even the handle release screw is stainless. I've since emailed Hi-Standard but my guess is their records will be incomplete. Too bad it's not a Winchester. Thanks for your input.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Interesting I thought I had posted this before. I looked up the value and find it to be about $200 on a 95% pistol and $325 on one in 100% condition. That came out of my blue book of gun values.

I also did not find any reference to a pistol made out of stainless steel.

I seem to remember a stainless version made by Mitchel Arms after high standard ceased to operate. This was in the 1980's I believe.

You can call High Standard at 800-272-7816 or email them at www.highstandard.com, since they are back in business, in Texas, I belive.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I do know that Mitchel Arms made stainless steel copies of the High Standard pistols in the 1980's I believe. You might do a google search to see if someone stuck a Mitchel frame on your Duromatic.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
The 101 was a blued gun, with brown plastic grips. There was a 22 short conversion that was available as a conversion kit, that had an aluminum slide so you could tell the difference. IF you have a 22 short gun, they collect a premium. $225 - $350 for the gun, + $400 MORE if you have the 22 short conversion kit. If you have a converted gun, in 22 short, you can expect around $300-$450 for the gun, in 95% condition from a collector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the input but this is not a .22 short or any form of conversion. Picture a 6 1/2 reg. M101 with brown grips but in nickel or stainless steel. I can't find anywhere that indicates it's been plated or altered. As old as the gun is a nickel plating job would have shown some wear or discoloration by now but this gun is pristine like a well cared for stainless. As i mentioned earlier from memory, it's been this way for at least 45 years. It is possible my father had it plated at HP while he worked there. He did that with a few Winchester rifle parts on guns I competed with but this doesn't appear to have had this kind of work done. I've got a message received from Hi-Standard re: this but have yet to hear a response. My digital camera is out of town with my other half but I will upload a few shots when I can. This forum was some what of a last chance as I've been unable to uncover any other reports of this form of pistol. It's just impossible, there has to have been more although there is no indication on the gun that this is a limited or special edition piece.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts