National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Maintenance man
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I looked and couldn't find anything on here so I thought I'd kick this one off. I was about 14 years old and had just come in from some range time with my father's 8mm mauser, being young I was a Little cocky and thought I knew everything there was to know. I carried the rifle into my father's house fully loaded, I sat in a chair and worked the bolt to clear the weapon. I was catching the rounds as they ejected and thought I got them all, I pointed it at the ceiling and pulled the trigger. I will never forget that moment, I was ready for a click, not the thunder boom I received. The kitchen was full of smoke and my ears were ringing. My father came in with a very concerned look on his face that very quickly turned to anger or disappointment, to this day in not sure which. My young dumb ass had shot a hole into his ceiling, through his floor upstairs into his 2nd story wall and clean through his exterior wall. The shame and humiliation I felt was nothing compared to the look on my father's face. We both knew I knew better. But the lessons learned that day are still with me today. I made many mistakes that day. But it did make me aware of why the "ground rules" truly there for a reason. I have pretty much worn that story out with the kids taking them out shooting. It's hard to express the fear, humiliation and even wounded pride of thinking "what have I done". The only thing I did right was point the barrel in a semi -safe direction as nobody ever used the upstairs to his house, except his over aggressive cats. Nobody got hurt, except me for that one. I caught a well deserved ass beating and lost a bit of pride. But in hindsight, it made me more aware of the consequences of not following basic safety and the top 5 firearms rules.
That's my " i did a stupid " story. I'm not perfect just get a Little better everyday. I hope to read yours soon.
Y'all stay safe and happy shooting.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a Mauser Model 1914 chambered in 7.65Browning fire as it went into the battery when I released the slide.

I was at the range and had it safely pointed downrange. It was an unexpected discharge, yes.

'Twas repeatable (worn parts) and I had it fixed.

·
Premium Member
7,523 Posts
I had my fathers 12 ga Parker SXS discharge both barrels once while trap shooting. To a 11 year old kid, that was some recoil.

I’ve never had any other types of mishap, thank God.

On our recent hunting trip, I was walking by the rifles as they were hung on a wall rack and the only action that wasn’t open was our newest hunter. He was using my 740 semi auto. I casually racked the bolt and sure enough there was a live round in the chamber. I ejected it and quietly turned to him and told him about it. He was very upset and apologized. I just said to always check when ever you pick it up, set it down or hand it to someone.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Only once. I forgot I had topped off my 1911.
Had one in the pipe. Do not remember why but I dropped the mag to check something and pulled the trigger.
It went off.
I was at the range and had it pointed down range so no issue other than my pride of never having one.
Both my sons were there, so I was able to use it as a great learning lesson how something like this can happen
even to someone who had been shooting for decades.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes it took 50 years but I had one .It was my fault for not double checking the chamber on a micro 9mm twice after racking the slide. Round did nor eject because slide is very hard to rack on small micro handguns. I point at wall pull triggers gun goes off. Hole in wall kitchen bathroom and bathroom door into shower stall wall. That was 6 years ago I will never forget it and will never do that again.

·
Aim true !
11,954 Posts
Yes last year in my house. One of my 1911's. The story about it is on the forum here.

·
Live Free
3,500 Posts
I have been in the vicinity, but not been the cause, thankfully. Years ago when I was serving in the Air Force I taught a guy to shoot with revolvers. I was a little hesitant at first because he sometimes failed to heed instructions on the flightline, and I was concerned about his tendency to drift from prescribed methods. But I finally gave in and little by little he got more efficient, until one day he finally bought his own single action .357 mag revolver. I cannot recall the make (not a Ruger), but he was attracted to the brass work on the gun. As it turned out, he got the gun so cheap because some idiot had worked on the trigger and turned it into a hair trigger, probably a pound or even less. I told him to get rid of it and get a quality revolver that was safe to operate, but he really loved that thing. Out on the desert outside Tucson one Saturday afternoon shooting, and as I am sending the last round from my old S&W model 28 down range, I hear a boom right behind me. I about filled my drawers. I turned to see him standing about 5 feet behind me holding that revolver in his right hand pointed straight down to the ground with his face literally ashen looking with fear. Turns out, he had loaded up the gun and as he was waiting for me to finish he was standing behind me cocking and lowering the hammer with one hand using his thumb over and over as he waited. He said he somehow got ahead of himself and put his finger on the trigger before he had positioned his thumb on the hammer, and the hair trigger fired, punching a 158 grain bullet into the ground next to his right foot...so close it grazed the edge of his shoe sole. For a moment I went through the mixed emotions of needing to calm him down while desiring to punch him for scaring me so bad. After a minute or two, I asked him why? Why were you handling a loaded gun behind me? Why were you cocking and decocking with your thumb like that? I had specifically warned him to never do that as it was asking for an accident to happen. All he could do was stare at me through his tears and say “I don’t know.” Thankfully he had kept it pointed at the ground (he said, “at least I never pointed it at something I did not want to shoot”), he had at least adhered to and remembered that. I was ready to be done with him that day, but I continued working with him after several months. His attention to detail and specifically to safety was remarkable after that incident...scary lesson though! So often we humans do our learning through our errors, and sometimes those errors are costly, and not just in terms of money, but more importantly injury and even death. He was lucky enough to learn without an injury or fatality, not everyone is.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
never happened to me either, all the shots fired in my house were intentional :lol:

Reactions: KILTED COWBOY

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I shot a primer powered plastic bullet and cracked a sliding glass patio door does that count.

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
I think the only one i had was when i was about 13-14 when shooting in a DCM league. I had a Anschutz and my uncle who was a gun smith was lightening the trigger up and he got it so low that closing the bolt would fire it so he had to go back the other way a tad.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,304 Posts
I have not.
hopefully never will but unfortunately us humans aren’t infallible.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
I'm in my 60 + years on this planet .....I've been tinkering/shooting/training/teaching with firearms since I was 16yrs old .... as a self taught 2 amendment supporter I've learned through reading and doing, hence I've experienced both accidental and negligent discharges. The "ONE" rule I've never lost faith/ nor violated is "Never point your firearm in a direction in which it should discharge that it would cause human injury!"

This rule is what I hold as the holy grail of firearms safety.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, accidental.

I have had holes shot through my house from family members. One was shot 5 feet from me when I was sleeping. :/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts