National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had one of those Toyota Prius electric cars sneak up on me in the Lowe's parking lot and scare the living crap outta me. I jumped a foot when I realized this car was about two feet from me and making almost no noise.

Do you own an electric hybrid auto?? Have you driven one yet?

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
761 Posts
That's not a car, that's a lunchbox. You know if you stick your hand out the window when the vehicle is moving, the vehicle will turn?

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
The problems with any Hybrid are many. First off they only save in a lot of stop and go city driving. If you have a 30 mile freeway commute they will actually deliver less mileage. Second are the batteries. Extreme temperatures kill batteries. Here in Phoenix I rarely get more than 2 Summers out of any car battery. It's simply far too hot for them to maintain any kind of service life. On the other hand extreme cold makes them horribly inefficient. To replace the batteries in a Hybrid costs well into 4 digits. You can bet, just like the many 4 cylinder turbo models in the late 80's, the warranty will be set to expire just before the batteries do. I knew many guys that had their turbos go just after warranty costing them over 4 digits to replace. These cars are also horribly complex, and dealers will be the only ones who will be able to work on them. Even more $$$$. The other thing is as was mentioned, they're uglier than a mud fence. If I were to buy new today and wanted economy, I would go for a Volkswagen Jetta Diesel. I had a 1979 Rabbit Diesel that gave me an honest 50 MPG all the while I had it, (10 years). It was also dependable as hell. Bill T.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
billt said:
The problems with any Hybrid are many. First off they only save in a lot of stop and go city driving. If you have a 30 mile freeway commute they will actually deliver less mileage. Second are the batteries. Extreme temperatures kill batteries. Here in Phoenix I rarely get more than 2 Summers out of any car battery. It's simply far too hot for them to maintain any kind of service life. On the other hand extreme cold makes them horribly inefficient. To replace the batteries in a Hybrid costs well into 4 digits. You can bet, just like the many 4 cylinder turbo models in the late 80's, the warranty will be set to expire just before the batteries do. I knew many guys that had their turbos go just after warranty costing them over 4 digits to replace. These cars are also horribly complex, and dealers will be the only ones who will be able to work on them. Even more $$$$. The other thing is as was mentioned, they're uglier than a mud fence. If I were to buy new today and wanted economy, I would go for a Volkswagen Jetta Diesel. I had a 1979 Rabbit Diesel that gave me an honest 50 MPG all the while I had it, (10 years). It was also dependable as hell. Bill T.

I read where about half of the cars sold in Germany today are diesels. The VW Diesel is alive and well in the US and would be a good choice for the person that had to put in a lot of highway miles.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
The Jetta TDI is turbocharged, (Turbos live forever in Diesels), and can be had with a 5 speed automatic transmission. Bill T.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts