National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was speaking to a man today about the elections and how "GUNS" are involved. He disagrees COMPLETELY with me. Saying having clinton in office would almost be like a fred thompson or Ron Paul.

This is what he explained:

The brady campaign was started from the REPUBLICANS. Bush Senior was the one who made the ban and left it in Clintons lap when he took over. Clinton signed it and now look. Also, in one of Mr. Clintons interviews he was discussing if he could change ONE thing in his WHOLE presidency it would be the guns. He wouldn't change the monkoliwinsku(Wierd name - I never figure it out), NOTHING, just the Ban.

Well with that said, I have no opinions on this as I HATE debating as im not the best at it.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Maybe in a twisted sense the Republican started The Brady Campaign, since Jim Brady was Reagan’s Press Secretary, and he was a Republican.

Here is Hillary’s gun control positions:

Backed off a national licensing registration plan on guns. (Jan 2008)
Get assault weapons & guns off the street. (Jul 2007)
Background check system could prevent Virginia Tech massacre. (Apr 2007)
Congress' failure at Littleton response inspired Senate run. (Nov 2003)
Keep guns away from people who shouldn’t have them. (Sep 2000)
Limit access to weapons; look for early warning signs. (Sep 2000)
License and register all handgun sales. (Jun 2000)
Tough gun control keeps guns out of wrong hands. (Jul 1999)
Gun control protects our children. (Jul 1999)
Don’t water down sensible gun control legislation. (Jul 1999)
Get weapons off the streets; zero tolerance for weapons. (Sep 1996)
Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)
Voted NO on banning lawsuits against gun manufacturers for gun violence. (Mar 2004)

Hardly Fred Thompson or Ron Paul positions.

Regarding Bush Sr.'s writing the assault weapons ban, I thnk the person who made this statement should back it up, it smells awfully funny.

And I’m the same as you, I can’t remember all the facts well enough to get stopped in the street to debate. I’d need to prepare for it.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Travis said:
Also, in one of Mr. Clinton's interviews he was discussing if he could change ONE thing in his WHOLE presidency it would be the guns.
That is simply because both he and Gore were burned by gun control. Clinton lost both Houses because of conservative backlash resulting from him spear heading the Assault Weapons Ban. Remember his infamous comment, "This one's a no brainer!" It cost him dearly. The same with Gore. Al Gore admits it was his election platform of strict federal gun licensing that cost him the election, not "chards" in Florida. The problem with liberal Democrats is they never seem to learn. In that regard I would trust a used car salesman in a plaid suit before I trusted either the Hildabeast or Obama on the gun issue. It is true you got more gun control passed under Regan and old man Bush than we did under Clinton. Under Regan you got the 1986 Full Auto Ban which in a nutshell said no more full auto weapons could be made for the folks. Under old man Bush you got the import ban which effectively banned a lot of good imported weapons. And let us not forget it was old man Bush who denounced his NRA life membership on national television. Under Clinton you got the Brady Bill, which didn't "ban" anything, and the Assault Weapons Ban which has sunsetted and no longer exists. Bill T.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I think it may be very difficult today for a sitting President to control all the lawyers that sit in the Congress and all the branches of Government. Its so massive only a extremely powerfull manager could keep the majority of those egos in check.

Government employees have a different view of who controls what from their position in the heirarchy of running the country. The attitudes flow through the federal government, the states and local goverments offices.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts