1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Aim true !
10,355 Posts
10 miles :cornut:

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
Effective terminal range of the premium self defense cartridges is generally around 300 yards. Your ability to hit out to 300 yards and beyond will depend on your skill and choice of sights.

I run an 8.5" barrel, Hornady 110 VMAX and a Leupold 1.5-4x20 scope.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Between 100 & 150 yards … ok

A 300blk pistol for CQC and a 556 upper for the other

Both will fit in a standard tactical backpack and interchange in seconds
I don't know about seconds, they can be changed easily, sure, but the average person would probably take a minute or 2.

That said, having a 5.56 upper and a .300 blk upper wouldn't be a bad idea for logistic reasons. 5.56 is cheaper for training, gives you more ammo options if things get scarce, and both calibers can use the same magazines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know about seconds, they can be changed easily, sure, but the average person would probably take a minute or 2.

That said, having a 5.56 upper and a .300 blk upper wouldn't be a bad idea for logistic reasons. 5.56 is cheaper for training, gives you more ammo options if things get scarce, and both calibers can use the same magazines.
The 300 would be for home defense/CQC, the 556 for longer range/ open area

I have CQC training

·
Registered
91 Posts
What is the effective range of a 300blk pistol with a 10 in. barrel
That's a very subjective question. Depends on what you consider effective, the optics, the target, and the skill of the shooter.

For hunting with a scope, I would say about 150 yards for me. For combat, I'm not too sure. I would assume about that of an AK.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The 300 would be for home defense/CQC, the 556 for longer range/ open area

I have CQC training
I would actually take 300 blk over 5.56 for range. 300 blk has suitable energy retention out to 460 meters where as 5.56 falls off at 250. Granted, that's assuming a full-length (16") barrel for both, but you'll see similar differences out of a shorter barrel. How effective each caliber is at those distance will, as others have said, depend on the shooter.

If you want separate calibers for long and short range, then a .308 would make a decent long-range counterpart to the 300 blk. Bearing in mind that you .308 will work better with a longer barrel, and you also won't have the advantage of shared mags between the 2 calibers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts