National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have to have a college degree to be employed by your agency?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Travis said:
Actually all you have to do here is take a course for about 9-15 weeks.
Is that for city, county or state police?

·
Registered
179 Posts
In Missouri it's something like 100+ classroom hours in a set number of subjects, I haven't really looked at this in years. I'm thinking of using my GI Bill again to go back to college and do a 2 year in criminal jsutice or police science which covers Missouri law.

My idea is to work for the sheriff's deptartment after I retire from the school and the National Guard.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is interesting to note that at one time the requirements for a police job was a four year degree in several areas of the country. Things are changing. They are having a bit more difficulty requiting officers I am told, at least in this area and the requirement is a high school diploma and the police academy. A two year associate degree or more will get you promoted quicker for sure, but it is not a strict requirement at this time.

·
Registered
761 Posts
A degree isn't required, but it certainly puts you above those who don't when you're applying for positions. All you really need to be an officer is to attend and graduate from a police academy.

G

·
Same in GA. Police academy and hit the street, but you'll have to start low with a smaller city. To get the good jobs and stand a chance to advance you need a degree in CJ. Our community colleges offer a two year associate in CJ, some I know went that route then worked and finished at night school/day school depending on shifts. Takes an understanding boss since a lot of schedules are now going to 3-12 hr shifts on day, three days off, then 3-12 hr shifts at night. Being a cop ain't easy.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
That's one thing that has changed immensely since I was coming up. I earned a Bachelor of Criminology degree (they called it "Police Science" back then) and had trouble finding work. One of the reasons was that back then few officers had college degrees and there was a natural animosity toward folks with "book learning". Now, as the others have indicated, it's not required except in a few places, but a degree will sure help along the career ladder. However, I still think it's better for a person to spend a few yrs in the field as a working officer before getting the degree. The material is far more relevant once it's been "lived".

G

·
As far as I know, each department has their own criteria.
Having a degree will certainly help your chances but may not be mandatory.
A degree will also help you rise in the ranks quicker.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts