National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you wear ear plugs while hunting??? It would not be necessary for big game but how about bird hunting??? Big game you are firing one shot but hunting birds you might go through a few boxes of shells.

I personally have never worn ear plugs while hunting but I imagine it would be a good idea to start. I think I might invest in some of the electronic ear plugs. It will not only save my ears but actually amplify the sounds you need to hear. Does anyone have experience with the Walmart electronic ear plugs???

-Derek
 

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
Joined
·
1,247 Posts
This is actually a good idea, when dove or quail hunting or even p-dawgs. After that many shots, your ears aren't working too well anyway. ;)
 

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
Joined
·
2,444 Posts
I will take a set of ear plugs when I hunt pheasant, dove or quail. Anymore around where I live, it is mostly "hunt clubs" and we go as a group. When the shotguns start, I want to protect my hearing (what little left) as much as possible.
 
G

·
I personally have never worn ear plugs while hunting but I imagine it would be a good idea to start.
-Derek[/quote]

Ive never worn plugs ether X, but ur right on,Ive thought about it 2.Once ur Deaf ur deaf, Does anyone know of anybrands that stand apart :?:
 
G

·
The best cheap ones I have used are Western Safety from Harbor Freight Tools, available on their web site for $19.95. Use AA batteries that last a long time.
 
G

·
whompuss said:
The best cheap ones I have used are Western Safety from Harbor Freight Tools, available on their web site for $19.95. Use AA batteries that last a long time.
The only reason I never us them Is I always thought they might be cumbersom,Is this true?
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Electronic are the way to go. The more expensive ones cut the loud sounds off quicker and at a lower level. I think I paid about $100 for mine and they work great. They allow me to hear all the conversations at the range but they cut off the shooting.

So if you are trying to train someone they are worth their weight in gold! In the woods I imagine you can crank up the volume you will pick up a lot of sounds that you would not hear otherwise. Worth the money in my opinion.
 
G

·
sig232 said:
Electronic are the way to go. The more expensive ones cut the loud sounds off quicker and at a lower level. I think I paid about $100 for mine and they work great. They allow me to hear all the conversations at the range but they cut off the shooting.

So if you are trying to train someone they are worth their weight in gold! In the woods I imagine you can crank up the volume you will pick up a lot of sounds that you would not hear otherwise. Worth the money in my opinion.
so your sayin that Elec should help U hear more like an Amp :?:
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
eXXit said:
sig232 said:
Electronic are the way to go. The more expensive ones cut the loud sounds off quicker and at a lower level. I think I paid about $100 for mine and they work great. They allow me to hear all the conversations at the range but they cut off the shooting.

So if you are trying to train someone they are worth their weight in gold! In the woods I imagine you can crank up the volume you will pick up a lot of sounds that you would not hear otherwise. Worth the money in my opinion.
so your sayin that Elec should help U hear more like an Amp :?:
Yes, some are designed to do just that. Like the Walker game ears, very expensive but the purpose is to amplify sound so you are more alert in the woods, and can hear ole grizz sneaking up on you from behind! :eek: :eek: :eek:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top