National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if this company is to good to be true. They seem to make very inexpensive guns. I have always gone by the saying you get what you pay for, but after reading a review in American Handgunner im not so sure. The review gives high marks to there EZ 9mm that sells for about $450.00 Also they produce a compact .40 S&W for only $275.00. Does anyone have experience with this brand? Are they any good? Do they last? Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We have sold 2 EAA firearms through the gun shop I work at; both were the 'Witness'
model chambered in 10mm. Although I never fired one, I did get many opportunities to
handle them. They were very comfortable for my hands (they were compacts) and
appeared to be well constructed. Trigger pull was average. Also, they built the Witness
model with a low-profile slide which made it a little difficult to grasp and pull back.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,669 Posts
Tanfangilo, of Italy, manufactures the Witness line of CZ clone pistols. EAA is one of the importers of these pistols. EAA manufactures nothing. They are an importer.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
I want to know if this company is to good to be true. They seem to make very inexpensive guns. I have always gone by the saying you get what you pay for, but after reading a review in American Handgunner im not so sure. The review gives high marks to there EZ 9mm that sells for about $450.00 Also they produce a compact .40 S&W for only $275.00. Does anyone have experience with this brand? Are they any good? Do they last? Thanks.

I carried an EAA Astra .40 S&W for quite a while. I liked it quite a bit because it was easy for me to handle, it always fired, and it was light weight. We also sold a couple of the Witnesses 9mm, never had any complaints or returns. I finally sold mine and started carrying a Sig P230, sold that and got a Taurus Millenium, put that in cold storage for several reasons and now carry an H&K .40 S&W. The Astra was an excellent weapon for me to "learn" on and practice with regullarly. The last I heard, a couple of years ago, the Astra still fired and still looked good. As with any firearm purchase, take it down, look at the innards, if they look good, then the weapon has most likely been taken care of. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
EAA Guns

I have owned four EAA/Tanfoglio pistols. A compact Witness in .40 S&W w/ ported barrel and Wonder finish; a polymer framed compact .45ACP Witness; a full size .45ACP Witness with Wonder Finish and a FAB92 full size 9mm in Stainless. All four took about 300 rounds and hand polishing of the feed ramp to provide 100% reliable feeding with anything other than FMJ ammo. I also changed out the recoil spring for a heavier one on the 9mm. The extractor claw broke off the .40 after about 500 rounds - but it may have been because I was using Wolf steel cased ammo. I sold the compact polymer .45 to my brother-in-law for home defense - I fully trusted that piece. The .40 compact was purchased to replace an Astra A-75, which was falling apart after only about 300 rounds, and I rountinely carried it as my CCW weapon - until it was stolen during a home burglary. I sold the FAB92 (FAB stands for Foreign American Brands and was a Tanfoglio/EAA marketing attempt to enter the US Law enforcement market with a full size, high cap. 9mm with a slide mounted decocking safety, other than that it was identical in operation to the other EAA pistols) for about 75 bucks more than I paid for it, and put another 75 bucks with that to buy a CZ-75B, just because I wanted a CZ. I still have the full size Wonder .45ACP - it is my first choice for home defense because it is emminently reliable with any and all JHPs I've tried and it is without a doubt the most consistently accurate pistol I own - even better than my SIG GSR 1911 with factory trigger job. Except for the start-up/break-in problems - I found all these "EAA/Tanfoglio" pistols to be of excellent fit and finish, good to excellent accuracy out of the box and reliable, once broken in, AND the ergonomics are/were, at least for my hand, EXCELLENT. My CZ-75B is no better and no worse in any of the above categories, than any of the 3 all steel guns. The one feature that the EAA pistols have that I find more desireable than the original CZ design is the fact that in addition to being able to carry them in Condition 1 (loaded, cocked and locked) you can apply the safety with the hammer down on a loaded chamber - this won't work with the 75B. BTW, the Wonder finish is a heat set, hard chrome finish - which is more durable than stainless with regard to abrasion as well as corrosion. EAA markets a full line of Witness pistols - from my experience - they are an excellent choice for the money - therefore a real bargain.
http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/9c407f0fnhDr6iHXIX*AWfggu*6n*byv5SAKv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Those look a bit Browning Clone-ish, 32 Mag. Nice looking firearms.

A co-worked had the 10mm model. It seemed to work for him. He spoke highly of it. FWIW it wasn't his only pistol. He is knowledgeable about this stuff, so I'll take it on face value these are pretty good pieces.

Hey in reality, if a pistol feels right in your hand, eats the ammo you give it, goes bang when the trigger is pulled and can hit what you want where you want, it is a good gun.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I had a Tanfoglio Witness with the Wonder finish in 9mm for a while.

Never had a problem with it, I lost interest in the 9mm caliber so I sold it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
EAA Tanfoglio pistols.

Yeah, Dogsoldier - that's what I've read about the development of the CZ-75. The Czechs took a great idea (the Browning High Power/FN M35) and made it a bit better. That is they kept many of the features, including the tilting barrel, barrel hood lock-up, recoil spring and guide rod and cocked-and locked features then modified the systems to DA/SA, double trigger draw bars, beaver tail extension, recessed the top of the back strap for the web of your hand and slightly undercut the trigger guard. The result was a superior pistol design - which Tanfoglio produced under license. The IMI Baby Eagle is another CZ clone manufactured by Tanfoglio. All very nicely made and well respected firearms.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I aggree that the EAA Witness line made by Tangfolio are good guns. I own a full size 10mm and a full size 45acp, however I don't think the EZ9 originally asked about is made by Tangfolio. I think I read somewhere it was made in Croatia or Serbia, I can't remember which. I just handled my first one yesyerday and was not impressed with it. The ergonomics were not to my tastes, and the action was rough. You may claim that a few hundred rounds could break in the action and smooth it out ,but the grip angle and tiny slide lock and safety levers will not change. My advice is spend a little more and get something a little nicer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I must appologize for my earlier post. It was the model 88 I was checking out, so the EZ9 might be OK. I'd still stay away from the 88.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts