National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the story with dry-firing? Is it bad for a centerfire handgun, or not? My husband says one should never dry-fire as it could damage the firing pin, but I've read on one or two forums, that's a myth that only applies to older type pistols? Who is right?!?!?! I would like to think my hubby is ;) ..................

BTW. I only ever dry-fire with snap caps so I do take heed of his warning!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
It will damage some guns! Read the instruction manual first before dry firing without snap caps.[/b
]I use them in all my revolvers and some of my pistols. Revolvers are very sensitive to dry fire, use the snap caps.

The Taurus PT-22 will break the firing pin if you dry fire. I did and they required me to send in the slide to replace the firing pin. They refused to let me replace it myself, an easy job. Liability issues I suppose plus its a quality control issue also. They can then check to see why a part failed and improve the pistol to prevent it from happening in the future.

Dry fire does not hurt glocks and other hammerless pistols to my knowledge. I am sure others will chime in here and provide more data.

G

·
never dry fire rim fire guns. glocks czs and any current center fire gun isnt a problem with dry fire. in fact with 1911s if you thumb the hammer down you can damage the hammer and sear match up.

G

·
i've seen older style doubles, where a dry fire put the firing pin so far out of the reciever, the barrel caught on it and wouln't break open. it's something if you do evey now and then no problem. if you sit and do it continually there will be a problem. keep using caps and be on the safe side. pblsyd

G

·
Page 12 of my Ruger manual says the the GP100 can be dry fired without damage to the firing pin. Don't know about other models.

·
Banned
818 Posts
I only heard it was not safe to dry fire rimfires because the firing pin will hit the rim of the breech and make a dent. Other than that, I heard that dry firing in centerfire guns is ok. However, I'm with SheNine on this. I only dry fire with snap caps. I love doing dry fire exercises with my Security Six.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
While dry firing a center fire pistol won't hurt it in most cases, I would rather not take the chance. I do dry fire to check something out or after clearing the chamber (& making sure it is clear) to decock the gun. But if I'm doing a on purpose dry fire session for practice or some other reason I always use snap-caps. Works the same way on long guns.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Maser said:
I only heard it was not safe to dry fire rimfires because the firing pin will hit the rim of the breech and make a dent. Other than that, I heard that dry firing in centerfire guns is ok. However, I'm with SheNine on this. I only dry fire with snap caps. I love doing dry fire exercises with my Security Six.
Again! Read the manual, dry firing in all revolvers and pistols is not ok! The old S&W's that had the firing pin connected to the hammer will be damaged. The Taurus PT-22 firing pins will break!
I don't believe you are supposed to dry fire Seecamps! Read the manual!

Most newer revolvers and pistols are relatively bulletproof. But not all, especially the cheaper firearms.
Why take a chance and damage a firearm unless you know for sure!

·
Crazy Cat Lady
1,496 Posts
Reviving this thread as it was first in search results...

Best to use a barrel bocker or training barrel when dry firing or as long as you're being safe...you're safe? I'm going to hit up the library for some of the recommended books, but was just curious on opinions.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
I used to use those A-Zoom snap caps with the rubber plug instead of the primer but they're made out of aluminium so the extractor shreads them fast. i got me some Tipton ones, the end is brass like a real casing. The primer is spring loaded, so when the pin hits it, it bounces back. To me it's as close to striking a real primer as it gets.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Reviving this thread as it was first in search results...

Best to use a barrel bocker or training barrel when dry firing or as long as you're being safe...you're safe? I'm going to hit up the library for some of the recommended books, but was just curious on opinions.
I have dry fired my CZ and 1911's literally 10's of thousands of times. No snap caps or anything.

Just ALWAY'S make sure there is no ammo around or in the room.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
If you are unsure if dry firing will harm your firearm... or if like me you're anal about it, use snapcaps. Problem solved.

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Crazy Cat Lady
1,496 Posts
I'm gonna be anal about it.

Any brand recommendations on the snap caps?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Pachmayer/Tipton style are plastic bodies with a metal rim (soft brass?) with the primer area absorbing the impact with a metal disk backed by a spring.

AZOOM - All metal (aluminum) with a silicon rubber primer to absorb the impact.

Carlson - A cross between the two above, All metal construction like the AZOOM with the primer area being a disk backed by a spring ala the Tipton.

Personally, I prefer the Pachmayer/Tipton style. Any of the above will work just fine and for a considerable amount of time.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
1,496 Posts
Thanks! Just Amazon'd a couple sets of the Tipton. Should be here in 4-10 days.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
I tried A-zoom aluminium ones, they tend to leave residue right where the chamber ends. then i bought tipton they're good but if you dry fire a hundred times with them the spring loaded brass piece ends up with a hole in it and the way i see it you might as well dry fire empty.
I ended up emptying a round to keep the bullet, re seated the bullet on a fired shell after i took out the primer, replaced the primer with a piece of hard rubber the kind they make rubber feet for computers and stuff,kinda like rubber mallet rubber something hard enough so the firing pin will not end up destroying and it still works. If by any chance it gets punched i'll just replace the rubber. the hard part is cutting the piece of rubber so it gets in the primer hole tight.
You end up with a real round with a rubber primer and so far it outlasted even the tipton

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,308 Posts
I consulted the owners manual and it says dry firing is fine so I do it with wanton disregard.

Reactions: larry

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
Edited ;)

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Spammer banned. Thanks K.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Dry firing .22s does damage to rim of chamber as well as the firing pin.......How ever snap caps are supposed to prevent it......It will always be debated some say yes and others will say no.........I dry Fire with caps....... I have even hand made some for the purpose of dry firing.......I do urge caution........

1 - 20 of 26 Posts