National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster. Here is my question.

I just bought a tuarus ply pt22 pistol. It is DAO and I want a way to dry fire it without damaging it. I have researched this on the web and with tuarus technical support and would like to get the real experts opinions. Here are the two way I propose to dry fire my pistol.
1) disassemble the slider. Pulling the trigger is just like firing the gun and it only takes a little backward pressure on the hammer to be able to pull the trigger again. By taking out the slider which contains the firing pin, prevents any damage to the firing pin and gun barrel. When the trigger is pulled, the hammer striges a small pin that it normally rest on. Does anyone think that this will damage the pin?
2) has anyone used the #4 and 7/8 wall anchors? If so, does this work? If so, how many trigger pulls to you get per anchor?

Thanks and I appreciate your responses.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I always recommend against dry-firing a Taurus, but if you have the blessing of Taurus tech support you might try it. That said, they should cover any damage under their warranty, BUT you will be paying the shipping to the repair depot.

Let us know how it works out, please. I really like to hear about customer service of the various manufacturers. Taurus (to my experience, anyway) has run hot-and-cold over the years.

(BTW, please don't double post)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gunrnr,
I did not mean to imply that I have Taurus' blessing. Just the opposite. They did not seem to understand what I was saying and gave me the company line. Do not dry fire. But since the firing pin is removed by taking the slide off, I cannot see what could go wrong. I am trying to get a more experienced user's advice.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,141 Posts
Popeye,
Have you tried the anchors? If not, how many trigger pulls do you get from A-Zoom Snap Caps?
Not a lot. You must rotate the dummy round in the chamber every several dry fires.

DO NOT dry fire a rimfire without something in its chamber to cushion the firing pin strike.

·
55,141 Posts
You can also use a spent .22LR shell case the same way you'd use an A-ZOOM dummy round.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I won't dry fire it without a dummy round in it or a snap cap if they even make them for .22

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not a lot. You must rotate the dummy round in the chamber every several dry fires.

DO NOT dry fire a rimfire without something in its chamber to cushion the firing pin strike.
So I guess this may explain why the firing pin broke on my brand new un-fired Henry 22 Mag. lever while my buddy was dry firing it. That plus the fact that the pin looked like it was made from cast and not forged. They sent me two new ones FOC and they look completely different (maybe forged) that the one that broke as though they knew they had a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
C6vert,

I want to make sure you understand by taking the slide off the pistol which contains the firing pin, both the firing pin and the barrel cannot be damaged. The only thing I am concerned about is the pin stoping the hammer after pulling the triger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BOB/MO,

Even if I used a snap or dummy load, with the slide off the gun, the snap, dummy load, or barrel cannot be touched by the firing pin.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Wouldn't try it bud. You're talking about removing the entire upper receiver yes? So that leaves...only the frame for the hammer to contact?
Gonna beat the hell out of your frame and possibly send your hammer and some other tiny parts flying across the room. Just use a spent .22 casing, make sure you spin it around after each shot.

So I guess this may explain why the firing pin broke on my brand new un-fired Henry 22 Mag. lever while my buddy was dry firing it. That plus the fact that the pin looked like it was made from cast and not forged. They sent me two new ones FOC and they look completely different (maybe forged) that the one that broke as though they knew they had a problem.

And it's likely a good thing that firing pin did break bud. I have seen so many chambers completely screwed up by dry firing rimfires. They develop a rather noticeable burr, sometimes if you catch it early on a little bit of file work will fix it, sometimes it goes unnoticed. In times like these where .22 is hard to find, people tend to get itchy more and try things they shouldn't, such as dropping the hammer on an empty rimfire chamber. If you do it enough, you can get a bullet in, but it won't come back out, the burr grabs onto the casing and sometimes just locks the action entirely if it's a real rough one. In other words, instead of a $5 firing pin, it could've been a whole barrel you'd need to buy. I wouldn't let that buddy mess with your guns anymore bro. The unknowledgeable can become a rather expensive liability in a hurry.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yea....sounds like good advice. But still not sure why any gun manf. would make a firing pin out of cast material. So much for "Made In America".

·
55,141 Posts
But still not sure why any gun manf. would make a firing pin out of cast material.
In anticipation of the unknowing dry firing a .22 LR weapon. A firing pin is far less expensive than a gunsmith's time repairing a damaged chamber.

Reactions: DPM
1 - 14 of 14 Posts