National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 1999, my black Labrador retriever gobbled down at least five baby mallards whole and alive in a northern California park. The mother duck was angrily swooping at him on the wing and quacking loudly.

Is this a good sign that the dog is birdy and will make a good hunter for a wing-shooter with a shotgun?

·
Live Free
2,879 Posts
Maybe it was a sign the dog was hungry...

I had an Akita in the same time frame who sought to kill any cat that came within her domain...and she was no slouch at it either. Is this a good sign the dog would be good at Puma hunting?

·
Super Moderator
14,227 Posts
It's s sign he likes to eat ducks.

I always trained my bird dogs and retrievers to have a soft mouth, never crunch, and certainly not eat a game bird (or any bird for that matter).

Ideally, a good retriever should deliver wounded birds to you alive.

If your dog is already eating birds, is not likely going to stop because you say so.

Alan

Reactions: Wag

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,278 Posts
It sounds like your dog isn't getting enough protein in his diet.

Reactions: Russ D

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
If he likes ducklings, I'll bet he'll also clean out an entire chicken coop

Reactions: Popeye

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Maybe it was a sign the dog was hungry...

I had an Akita in the same time frame who sought to kill any cat that came within her domain...and she was no slouch at it either. Is this a good sign the dog would be good at Puma hunting?
This male Lab of mine ate his dog food like a horse everyday. One time in my backyard he picked up a possum in his mouth but would not eat the animal. It could be that some dogs think baby ducks are especially tasty treats. This "park" was more correctly called county open space with a trail for public use and near the pond in the hills there, there was no leashless-dog prohibition.

He was only a pet, age 2, and not a gun dog anyway.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It sounds like your dog isn't getting enough protein in his diet.

He got a Pedigree Lamb and Rice dry measured according bag instructions and a half a large can of Pedigree canned food a day.

Several pooch bacon treats in between.

In 2004, he and my ***** Lab got re-homed due to tight money circumstances. I've not owned dogs since.

Doesn't Pedigree dry with some degree of canned food meet a dog's protein requirements?

Often my labs would also get a fresh egg in their meals for eyes and coat health.

·
Registered
734 Posts
"Back in 1999"??? Man, if that dog's still above ground, I doubt it's in any condition to hunt. My lab sticks it's mouth on EVERYTHING.
Chews porch rails, lawn ornaments, weather stations, clothing, plastic bottles, it's food dish, sticks, rifle cartridges, rope, hoses, carpet.

Eats hornets, wasps, piles of terds we come across, in the woods, stray amphibians, birds, parts of animal carcasses, as yet undetermined lumps of vile gwee,
grass, errant chunks of bone, Slim Jims in the package, ants, and larva from rotting logs.

I'm sure my dog would love to come across a nest of ducklings, and I'm also firmly convinced that no matter how overfed she is, she would still engage in the same behavior.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,278 Posts
He got a Pedigree Lamb and Rice dry measured according bag instructions and a half a large can of Pedigree canned food a day.

Several pooch bacon treats in between.

In 2004, he and my ***** Lab got re-homed due to tight money circumstances. I've not owned dogs since.

Doesn't Pedigree dry with some degree of caned meet a dog's protein requirements?

Often my labs would also get a fresh egg in their meals for eyes and coat health.
From the internet Dog Food Reviews - Pedigree with Lamb & Rice - Powered by ReviewPost, Pedigree Lamb and Rice's product analysis shows it has a min. 22.0% crude protein.

For my dogs, I look for dog food that has at least 30% crude protein. Anything less than 28% and they get "grumpy" and want to be fed more often, which will make them overweight. Ideally you want your dogs to have a high protein, semi-low fat diet and the ability to run and exercise on a daily basis. My Australian Shepherd and Black Lab are solid muscle and can out run and out play, most other dogs.

For what it's worth, there are hunters (aka, idiots) around here that think 'keeping a dog hungry will make them hunt better'. When the opposite is true, a high protein/low fat diet, combined with regular daily exercise will give the strength and stamina to track game for hours on end.

Wag (one of the mods here) has mentioned a raw food diet for dogs, that I'm seriously considering.

Reactions: Wag and Popeye

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
Ideally you want your dogs to have a high protein, semi-low fat diet and the ability to run and exercise on a daily basis
That also works for humans to lose weight and stay lean.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
"Back in 1999"??? Man, if that dog's still above ground, I doubt it's in any condition to hunt. My lab sticks it's mouth on EVERYTHING.
Chews porch rails, lawn ornaments, weather stations, clothing, plastic bottles, it's food dish, sticks, rifle cartridges, rope, hoses, carpet.

Eats hornets, wasps, piles of terds we come across, in the woods, stray amphibians, birds, parts of animal carcasses, as yet undetermined lumps of vile gwee,
grass, errant chunks of bone, Slim Jims in the package, ants, and larva from rotting logs.

I'm sure my dog would love to come across a nest of ducklings, and I'm also firmly convinced that no matter how overfed she is, she would still engage in the same behavior.
Well, I never meant to suggest my Lab is still alive. He was never intended to hunt back then anyway. Just a pet. Sadly re-homed 15 years ago along with his lady friend, my former Lab *****, and never heard about since. I was just wondering how such behavior affect a dog's hunting ability. I may someday own Labs again with intentions of using them next time for pheasant, duck and dove. If a dog is eating baby ducklings by the nest-ful it might show a strong interest in fowl. Birdy-ness.

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
My three little chihuahuas would eat baby ducks, no sweat. And love every bite. It's just what dogs do and you have to train them if you want them to do otherwise.

My little girl has a great sniffer and I'm convinced that with training, she'd be a great drug sniffer dog. Or anything sniffer dog.

One day I came home to find a pile of pigeon feathers in the back yard. I'm pretty sure they aren't fast enough to catch a pigeon so they either got dang lucky or a hawk nailed it and it fell into the yard where these little monsters stole it from the hawk and ate it. Not a single bite left. No feet, no beak. Nothing. just the feathers.

Kinda funny, actually. Really made me wish I'd had a video camera back there.

Occasionally, they'll catch and eat the odd lizard or sparrow.

And yeah, they still eat raw chickens every day. Research it and you'll likely never feed commercial dog food again.

My vet keeps trying to convince me that dogs are omnivores. I'm completely convinced otherwise.

--Wag--

1 - 13 of 13 Posts