National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...either own, or personally know someone who owns one of these?

https://www.amazon.com/Colt-Peacema...ords=Colt+Peacemaker+SAA+CO2+Revolver,+Nickel

All the ones I've seen in ads show the hammer in a quarter, or half-cock position...Why is that?
Even the video that one kind person supplied me, showed the man drawing from a holster, and that hammer before the draw was not fully down.

I note that are said to have some kind of manual safety...how does that work?

Thanks for any info that may be provided.

FLc

·
Registered
14,710 Posts
I always thought that was the safety position so you don't bump the hammer and set off a round. But I have another question. I had a co2 air gun many years ago. It would lose all the co2 if it even sat for a day. Was that just a bad gun or old technology? Are they any better today?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always thought that was the safety position so you don't bump the hammer and set off a round. But I have another question. I had a co2 air gun many years ago. It would lose all the co2 if it even sat for a day. Was that just a bad gun or old technology? Are they any better today?
That's kinda what I thought...But why not the real safe way of hammer down on an empty chamber...'load one, skip one, load four' method?

Can't really be much help on the CO2 question...never have owned anything that used them. All mine have been single pump actions, or like the .177 'AR15' look-alike, that is my main 'critter-gitter', you can pump that guy about 4 or 5 times, and it becomes quite deadly...Especially with the sabot type pellets.

I guess I need to look around the city, and find someone that possibly stocks a model like that SAA, and get a hands on feel and some further knowledge, before I buy it and then wish I hadn't. I have a 'real' fine SAA by Cimarron, and a pretty fine gunbelt and holster. My thoughts were in using the pellet pistol for practice and spins. Not gonna cry nearly as much if I drop it when doing so. The weights are close to the same on each.

Best to ya Sam, FLc

·
AZHerper
4,117 Posts
I know nothing about these guns. Do you load a BB into each of the brass cartridges? I assume that you can buy more cartridges if you lose one.

·
AZHerper
4,117 Posts
Probably because I'm an engineer, I got to thinking about the technical aspects of gas seals with respect to the rotating cylinder and kind of thought that it would result in pressure losses which would substantially reduce the performance of this type of gun. However, look at this: Gun Review: Umarex Colt Peacemaker BB CO2 Pistol Around 410 fps is great performance for this type of gun. They look like they'd be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who replied....I reckon I'll pass on this one...I really don't care for the fact that the hammer rebounds to a point where it's not fully down after every 'shot'....That and the grip frame is more the old Army type, instead of the Navy type that the original '73 Colt was issued with. That Navy grip fits my hand like it was made just for me.

I still might end up with a non-firing 'movie prop' type...they're all fully functional, sans the ability to fire anything...even blanks. They are also less expensive than this BB firing one....But still could be fine for practicing quick-draws and spins. And they are true to the original '73 in configuration.

Not at all that high on my wish list however.

Thanks again guys, FLc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts