National Gun Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay! does anyone shot MultiGun it used to be called 3 Gun, If you,ve got web sites or personal experince with this type of Comp shooting I,d like to here from ya...Yes Indy that includes you!
:-B-:

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
I plan on it in the near future. I have several friends that do, & they have been working with me. A couple of them are entered in the USPSA Nationals in Tulsa the first weekend of October. I'm going down to watch.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shoot 3 gun in the Heavy Metal division.
My pistol: Les Baer Concept II (or sometimes my XD45)
My rifle: Springfield M1A Bush (but I just got a DPMS .308)
My shotgun: Winchester model 12 w/20" barrel and 8 rd mag tube

It's great fun with tons of gear to drag along. I usually drag the JD Gator along to haul the gear.

It requires more thought than a straight pistol match. You got more than one mag change place to remember and each gun is different to shoot.

Have fun,
Dave

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I have shot 3 gun. There is a difference between 3 gun and multi gun.

In 3 gun there are 3 separate matches,rifle, pistol and shotgun. The 3 are added together for an overall score.

In multi-gun you use 2 or all 3 guns in the same course of fire.

My firearms are:for Open Class
pistol - Para 9x23 red dot comp gun
rifle - AR15 5.56 with a 3.5-10x50 mildot reticle scope
shotgun - Remington 1100 with 10 shot magazine

Limited Class
pistol - Para P14/45
rifle - AR15 5.56 A2 sights
shotgun - Remington 1100 with 8 shot magazine

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greetings. A few questions follows. :) But first, my gun club is sponsoring a _5_ gun match next weekend. Rim- and center-fire, pistol, rifle, and shotgun. My questions are about the shotgun. (I have a Remington 22 bolt-action, a Browning Camper, a Glock 23, and an AR-15 clone for the other parts, and I've done some IDPA shooting with the Glock.)
I have 2 separate Mossberg 500's, and I was going to go production. My older shotgun has both the 18" and 26" barrels, The newer one has only the 18" and folding stock, and a rail and optics on top.
1) Any optics allowed in production? Or is it only the ramp and bead sight? Could I leave the rail only in place?
2) With the shotgun, what's the suggested ammo? Rifled slugs, or 00 or 7 shells? (I presume the targets will be steel poppers, but I wanted to know if 7/8 oz or 1 oz rifled slugs will just clang the poppers, or damage them?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
in most competitions, shooting the poppers with slugs will get you disqualified. They damage the steel. You want 1 1/8oz of #8 shot. Use slugs only when told to. Forget the shotgun with the folding stock. You can't get a good cheek weld. Use the older gun with whichever barrel you shoot better with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I kinda suspected that, but I wanted to ask the folks here first. I've done some matches with only my Glock but this is a once-a-year match, and it starts early next Sunday and I'll not be at the range on Saturday.

So, thank you. :thumbsup: You saved me some of this :mad2: and hopefully I'll be able to do some of :30:and some of :4:and enjoy myself.

This match (and picnic to follow) is in Joplin, MO, if anyone's interested.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
although the #8 birdshot is very small, the shell carries hundreds of them. This gives you the greatest pattern density- more pellets hitting the target. With buckshot you have few pellets and you may only hit the target with 1 of 2; that might not be enough. I have seen #4 buck hit a popper over and over and the popper did not fall. You could see and hear the buckshot hitting but not enough pellets were hitting to get the job done.

Michael Voight has won the USPSA 3gun/multigun championship 8 or 9 times and he uses #8 birdshot. He knows way more about it than I do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts