National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a young shooter myself, I have to wonder why is it that older shooters feel the need to put us young guns down for the way we look. There's plenty of other gun forums I'm a member of and I'm constantly seeing things like "yeah, some wannabe gang banger was shooting at my range" or "yeah, some wannabe mall ninja was at my range." Also too, in my real life experiences, I have been verbally harassed because of my appearance. What is the big deal with how someone dresses? As long as they're not breaking any range rules or being unsafe, what's the big deal?

So what are your guys' opinions about this? Oh yeah, and sorry if this belongs in the shooting report section. I couldn't decide where to put it.

G

·
This has been debated for years, long before the internet forums came along.

My position is that, yes, appearance matters. We shooters are under constant assault from people who want to associate us with criminals and psychos. Dressing like those things - whether as a "thug" or a "gangsta" or soldier (when you're not) - only helps the other side. Public relations matters.

I don't think you have to wear a suit and tie to the range, but at minimum wear a clean shirt and jeans that don't hang around your ass. Leave the sideways hats at home and reserve the cammies for hunting.

G

·
1. avoid wearing wife beaters, baggy pants or shorts that look like capri's (I.E. gangster look) :roll:
2. never use the phrase clip when talking about a mag.
3. use all safety procedures (at all times)

Maser said:
but at minimum wear a clean shirt and jeans that don't hang around your ass. Leave the sideways hats at home and reserve the cammies for hunting.
+1
look semi business, behavioral wise.

G

·
i started out fairly young and i can say people treat you different when you look young. had that poblem a few times when i was assisting with a class. just had to show them i knew what i was talking about and it was all better. cant really do that in a gun store.

G

·
leeindy said:
i started out fairly young and i can say people treat you different when you look young. had that poblem a few times when i was assisting with a class. just had to show them i knew what i was talking about and it was all better. cant really do that in a gun store.
My boy is better than some of the goons that hang around the range :D

G

·
I think appearance and manners are important in any situation, it doesn't matter if your at the gun store or the grocery store. You don't have to put on the Ritz, but a clean appearance and respect for others still goes a long way with me.......

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Mike Barham said:
My position is that, yes, appearance matters. We shooters are under constant assault from people who want to associate us with criminals and psychos. Dressing like those things - whether as a "thug" or a "gangsta" or soldier (when you're not) - only helps the other side. Public relations matters.....

Absolutely!!! You're representing all gun owners and you always want to put your best foot forward......

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
It may not affect your target results but how you look does reflect on the gun community as a whole and, "people judge you based on how you look!" It affects your ability to get a job and be successful in the work force at some point in your life.

I enjoy your opinions and your posts. Good Thread!

G

·
I think we all had the same problem on the bumpy road from a teenager to a "man." I quit having problems when I started outshooting the men.
The dress part means splitting the middle between a preppy geek and a gangsta. A pair of jeans, SANS the holes in the knees and back pockets, or cargo pants in appropriate colors along with a shirt appropriate for the sport. I have several T shirts that advertise Glock, Sig, NATIONAL GUN FORUM, that look great along with sneakers.
Above all, ACT professional. Never fire a hand gun in the horizontal gangsta fashion, obey all of the rules of the range. In time you'll be accepted and welcomed at the range.
Rome wasn't built in a day either.
Happy shooting. :D

G

·
dress for sucess

life is unfair

we judge other people in three seconds
don't say "unfair"
because you know you do it, too

tat's and pierces, foul mouth, no eye contact
you will get judged in two seconds, at most

you are:
who you present yourself to be

i was in the taco bell last week
sat down to write up invoices
next table is mascara gothic chains
i had a kid like that once, for about a week...
so i said
'Gentlemen, if you really want to scare them, wear silk suits,
the dangerous people in this world wear neckties,
dress for sucess'

they laughed and thought about that...

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Re: dress for sucess

Cheechako said:
life is unfair

we judge other people in three seconds
don't say "unfair"
because you know you do it, too

tat's and pierces, foul mouth, no eye contact
you will get judged in two seconds, at most

you are:
who you present yourself to be

i was in the taco bell last week
sat down to write up invoices
next table is mascara gothic chains
i had a kid like that once, for about a week...
so i said
'Gentlemen, if you really want to scare them, wear silk suits,
the dangerous people in this world wear neckties,
dress for sucess'

they laughed and thought about that...

A lot of truth to that statement. But with "Goths" its a cry for attention. They don't get love and positive attention at home so they elect the negiative attention they get by dressing they way they do.

G

·
oh, my goodness, my little goth got plenty of attention!

mine was a junior in high school when columbine happened
all the black clothes went to the dump
blazer and tie, if you ever want to sit in my car again
i am such a mean man, unfair.
wouldn't want to stifle any creativity, oh no.
you want fair?
go to the fair.
none here.

was in new hampshire then, firearms in the house
all us gothic parents took a really hard look at our kids
so did the police.

G

·
YES!! first impressions are everything. If you look like "G-Boy" at the range you are instantly gonna be labeled a gangster or a wannabe. If you are wearing a rebel flag shirt or a X shirt you are instantly labeled a ******* or a extremist. Best bet is always a neutral shirt or one with a gun Co. logo. RO's take the way you are dressed into consideration when to give you a little slack on the range rules.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Baldy said:
If you don't want to be labeled a punk, don't dress like one. It's just that simple. :roll:
That's about as good of an explantion as your gonna' get!
Well said Baldy. :-B-:

·
Banned
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

sig232 said:
A lot of truth to that statement. But with "Goths" its a cry for attention. They don't get love and positive attention at home so they elect the negiative attention they get by dressing they way they do.

Actually, it's not the goths that are like that. It's the emos that cry out for attention. Goths just pretty much keep to themselves and only hang around other goths. Emos on the other hand are the ones that cry out for attention by making ignorant political statements or other things they know nothing about.

Now back to the topic at hand. I pretty much don't have a set appearance when it comes to the way I dress. Some days I dress "gangsta", some days I dress goth, some days I dress metro, etc. I'm going to be 18 in October and I admit that I still dress like a kid at times. Especially during the warm season. I wear baggy tees and shorts and wear puffy shoes. I wear what I'm comfortable wearing and I should NOT have to feel like I'm entering a fashion show anytime I go to a range. IMHO, I couldn't care less what others are wearing. Heck, they can be completely naked for all I care as long as their being safe and not bothering me while I'm shooting.

I don't feel that it's going to be "gangstas" or inbred ******** that are putting a dark cloud on the shooting community. It's going to be intolerant people such as the ones I described that feel the need to label everyone just for their appearance. THEY are going to be the ones that ruin it for the youth shooters.

G

·

Maser said:
sig232 said:

Actually, it's not the goths that are like that. It's the emos that cry out for attention. Goths just pretty much keep to themselves and only hang around other goths. Emos on the other hand are the ones that cry out for attention by making ignorant political statements or other things they know nothing about.

Now back to the topic at hand. I pretty much don't have a set appearance when it comes to the way I dress. Some days I dress "gangsta", some days I dress goth, some days I dress metro, etc. I'm going to be 18 in October and I admit that I still dress like a kid at times. Especially during the warm season. I wear baggy tees and shorts and wear puffy shoes. I wear what I'm comfortable wearing and I should NOT have to feel like I'm entering a fashion show anytime I go to a range. IMHO, I couldn't care less what others are wearing. Heck, they can be completely naked for all I care as long as their being safe and not bothering me while I'm shooting.

I don't feel that it's going to be "gangstas" or inbred ******** that are putting a dark cloud on the shooting community. It's going to be intolerant people such as the ones I described that feel the need to label everyone just for their appearance. THEY are going to be the ones that ruin it for the youth shooters.
"Maz" its not in what U wear Dude its how U where it,Dont Walk around the range with ur Hoody Up and Hunched over like the Hunch Bak of Notra D!...U would,nt be here if U were a DickHead! I wear Sak,d Jeans most times (dont wear white kiks though Get dirty to ezy) I hate Sterios to Bro!! ;)

G

·
Like it or not, you are part of a community/subculture that is under siege. If you do things to undermine it - like dressing like a thug - you are not doing the rest of us any favors. It really doesn't matter how you feel about people stereotyping or judging you based on your clothes. The reality is that it happens, and some of those people looking at you are going to vote. Dressing like a stereotypical felon will only drive them away from our cause and into the arms of our opponents.

It's America and you can do what you want, but understand you are making it harder on those of us who try to project a good image for the shooting sports. We will have to work extra hard to counteract the criminal image others portray. I realize that you are very young and mainly concerned with yourself, but please consider the bigger picture when you dress for the range. We're all in this together.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

eXXit said:
Maser said:
sig232 said:

"Maz" its not in what U wear Dude its how U where it,Dont Walk around the range with ur Hoody Up and Hunched over like the Hunch Bak of Notra D!...U would,nt be here if U were a DickHead! I wear Sak,d Jeans most times (dont wear white kiks though Get dirty to ezy) I hate Sterios to Bro!! ;)

No worries about me wearing a hoody when I shoot because I don't shoot in rain or cold weather.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts