National Gun Forum banner

Documentary about Gun Owners

3K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  jkucera28 
G
#1 ·
Hello my name is Joseph Kucera and I am a Documentary filmmaker currently attending SUNY Purchase. I am currently seeking gun owners in the New York and Connecticut areas who are willing to show off their gun collection and be interviewed for my upcoming documentary about gun owners and their culture. If you are interested you can email me at joseph.kucera@purchase.edu

Thank You

#2 ·
I'm in CT, but no thanks. I think you are going to have a hard time finding any gun owners who would be willing to help you out.

Good luck on your project.

#7 ·
GUYS he is being nice about it, we do not have to be rude. I agree he will have a hard time getting people to go along with him on this project. OPSEC is key in todays time.

#9 ·
G
#11 ·
I'm sorry if my original post was misleading. The concept behind my film and the main focus is to show that gun owners are not crazy people who just want to kill people. I personally think this stigma towards gun owners is ridiculous and is detrimental to our society. I was looking to get your views on this subject for my film.

#13 ·
I'm sorry if my original post was misleading. The concept behind my film and the main focus is to show that gun owners are not crazy people who just want to kill people. I personally think this stigma towards gun owners is ridiculous and is detrimental to our society. I was looking to get your views on this subject for my film.
He has stated his views.

#14 ·
jkucera28,

Please understand that some of us are just a bit wary. There have been so many "documentaries" that end up portraying the American gun owner as some sort of backwoods freak or knuckle-dragging bigot, ultra right-wing cretin or let’s not forget the hillbilly who has a gun in one hand and a jug of ‘shine in the other, that most of us are just sick to death of the stereotypes.

In the 2½ yrs that NGF has existed, there have been several folks who come on board, identify themselves as either students, teachers, research assistants, or other member of academia and expected NGF members to jump up and learn ya what guns is all about.

That’s just not going to happen.

Because of the constant threats to our sport and to our fundamental Second Amendment rights, most gun owners have developed a strong suspicion of journalists and others who profess to want to either present our case or explain us to the non-gun-owning world.

Ever see ABC News’ supposed refutation of a student’s ability to defend him/herself against an attacker in a classroom, which was aired after the shootings at Virginia Tech? I swear I could hear the producer, “Damn the facts, we have a conclusion that private ownership of guns is bad and it’s even worse if they’re in a college classroom, and that’s what we’re going to present”.

If you really want to present an unbiased, informative and accurate depiction of gun owners, go to a local shooting club. Meet the guys and gals who spend their time there honing their skills, sharing their hobby and learning from each other. Those folks are much more likely to open up to you a bit if they can meet you, look in your eyes, and feel your handshake.

That’s just too far a stretch on an internet forum.

Good luck,

Gunrnr

#15 ·
Some suggestions:

Join a forum like this one and solicit advice on what kind of firearm you should get. Legally purchase the firearm and document the process (especially if you are in NY).

Take your firearm to the range and use it.

Research crime statistics from the FBI/DOJ, and firearm-related death statistics from the CDC. Compare and contrast your findings with the assertions of the Brady Campaign and Handgun Control Inc. Document the differences.

Go back to the range and shoot some more.

Research the purpose and historical context of the Second Amendment, along with historical results of gun control in other countries and the subsequent body count. Document this, too.

Go to the range again.

Participate in a rally to legalize carry (open or concealed) in a place where it is currently illegal. Document it.

More range time.

And I have a question for you:

What makes you so sure that gun owners aren't sociopathic killers-to-be?

#17 ·
Perhaps the OP could have stated his position better about his project in the first place? As we NOW know, he is a gun owner. Let's cut him a little slack. Maybe JKucera28 can do a better job of explaining his background AND his project before everyone rushes to judgement.

I'll admit that his first post gave me the heebie-jeebies due to the wording.

#18 ·
I dont see how this could hurt anything, after all the new show lock & load is doing the same thing with cameras in a gun shop. And to be honest most of the losers who walk into his shop make us all look like idiots !!

I say any one who wants to show the positive side of leagal gun ownership has my vote. I am a New Yorker living in FL or I would have helped you out.

#20 ·
Kinda reminds me of the news reporter walked up to one of our female officers and asked for a short film. They wanted a shot of her giving directions to a civilian.
Told her it was for women doing jobs usually done by men. She complied to the request.
When she watched the news that night and it was a story of suicide in high stress jobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.