National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this RIA so I could learn some things about the 1911's. So far I have changed all of the trigger & hammer related parts, added a magwell & a beavertail. I think I'll up-grade to a better barrel & bushing when the weather turns cold this winter & I have more time to work on stuff indoors. This is a great hobby! There wasn't anything wrong with the RIA to begin with, I bought it new & it was a good gun. I just wanted to expand my gun skills.
:-B-:

G

·
the only thing i have done is barrel fitting. i dont have the knowlege for that one yet and im a little hesitant to ruin my matchgrade barrels

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have removed the magazine safety on my Browning yesterday. But that's as far as I would go. I don't want to ruin a pistol just to save a few €. I rather take it to a gun smith if I need to.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gunny the Gun said:
Nice RI kansas, From a fellow RI owner :-B-:
Thanks Gunny! I was really suprised at the way the RIA shot the first time I tried it out. I'm not exactly fond of the lower priced guns, but I kinda' liked the looks of the RIA. I passed it by the first time I saw it at the gun shop, but when it was still there a few weeks later, I just had to buy it. Now I'll get another one & leave it factory stock. I also bought a barley used High Standard 1911 from a guy awhile back. It's made by the same company that mkes the RIA, & is of the same quality. I'm thinking that the RIA s a well kept secret that is becoming more well known. Kinda' like the Taurus PT1911! Dang It! :--- :-B-:

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
kansas45 said:
I bought this RIA so I could learn some things about the 1911's. So far I have changed all of the trigger & hammer related parts, added a magwell & a beavertail. I think I'll up-grade to a better barrel & bushing when the weather turns cold this winter & I have more time to work on stuff indoors. This is a great hobby! There wasn't anything wrong with the RIA to begin with, I bought it new & it was a good gun. I just wanted to expand my gun skills.
:-B-:
You have done a fine job with that one Mr.Kansas. I do some minor things to mine once in awhile but I take most of my stuff to a good gunsmith. Good luck with yours. :D

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
You did some nice work there! I would like to learn some of that when I get more time. Right now I have a gunsmith do my work and I repair his electrical needs to pay for it. Works out nice. I have the same agreement with a meat processor by me. I have, however, fabricated my own stainless steel full length guide rod for my CZ 97b. I works great and really smoothed out the gun.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
I've done all the changes I've ever made to my guns myself but to be honest I've never done more really other than change triggers and such.

·
Premium Member
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been over a year since I got the first RIA. 2 more have followed me home since then. A RIA 38 Super & a RIA Tactical. I traded the Tactical because it wasn't even in the same game as my homemade one. I worked the Super over & absolutely love this gun. The original GI has many rounds through by now, & it is still one of my favorite pistols.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
I took my Taurus to the smith the first two times I needed to do something to it. It didn't entirely solve the problems, but I fixed them on my own. Filed down the slide stop where it was rubbing, so now I get a full engagement, and I changed out an ambi-safety for a strong side safety. Just needed a little fitting, but everything went well, and I learned a lot!

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Do you work on your pistols?

I do. I am a gunsmith. I am certified by the factories to work on SIG-Sauer, Heckler & Koch and Glock firearms. SIG has the best school.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
My first gunsmithing was done on a Norinco 1911A1. I also replaced most of the factory internals with stainless, or Wilson Combat parts. I had a very nice self-made custom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts