National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are no shortage of opinions on whether people like the built in locks, I was just wondering if anyone used them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
had a springfield 1911 that had it built into the mainspring. trashed that before i ever shot it. dumbest idea ever. the gun comes with a case.

the day i get jumped and have to go find my keys is the day ill die

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've absolutely refused to own any of the S&W revolvers with the built in lock. The only exception is my 386PD and they've only ever been available with the internal lock in the side of the frame(I've read on another forum that a few sans locks WERE manufactured but I've yet to see even a photo of one like that).

Simple answer to the original question: I've NEVER even inserted the key into the lock on mine to see if it works.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A locked gun, an unloaded gun: both are expensive paperweights.
If there are kids in the car, lock it in the glove box or put it in a small portable gun safe with the 4 finger slot combination. Or keep it in the holster. I raised 4 kids, we have a pool, game room, etc so my house was meeting central for kids. Usually 8-10 around at any given time. Never had a gun related problem, guns were always nearby but not accessable by anyone, except for the one in my pocket.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I've got a bag full of those cheap Chinese made trigger locks sitting in a box in the garage - any body want to buy them, must be close to 50 out there by now. The only other guns I own with built in locks are an H&R Model 939 .22 LR Ultra Side Kick - early 1960's vintage - the first hand gun that I know of that was equipped with an action key lock; two Taurus revolvers with the hammer mounted action lock and a Steyr M-40 with a right side of frame mounted action lock. I have the keys for all these locks, all are original and unused.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I guess the locks are like a big disclaimer for the arms company. They pass on the responsibility to locking up the gun to the buyer. If someone gets shot they can say, hey, I sold that gun with a lock and advised the buyer to keep it locked up. That passes on the responsiblity to the buyer and the buyer gets sued.

I imagine thats the thinking. I suppose if a gun was to be locked up in a locker at a security guard service facility maybe the lock could prove valuable. Kept up in a closet around troubled children.
I agree a locked gun is a worthless gun in an emergency situation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sig232 said:
I agree a locked gun is a worthless gun in an emergency situation.
Thats why guns that are out of the safe for defence should be kept in a place only known by you.
"out of sight, out of mind"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am 73 and worder what is a gun lock. My kids are 40 and 43 so they should know what not to do.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
My Taurus has a goofy little hammer lock. I tried it when I first received the gun and haven't used it since. Sig is right about being a legal CYA. That, and they were a way for the gun companies and the govt to kiss the Antis' A$$ and pass yet another "FeelGood Law".

The most important safety for any firearm sets between the owner's ears.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
I will lock them away. But now, I never use the bult in lock. Only my USPc has a built in lock out of all my guns.

Now, I have a couple of dozen handgun locks. I use them as padlocks occasionally. I use them to lock up my christmas decorations when I chain them to trees, so no one steals them :lol: .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts