National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had one a LONG time ago and I was so inaccurate that I just decided to sell it back to the guy for half price. Never again.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nope...no bow here....I have a few friends that are HUGE bow hunters, though...

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wifes dad teaches the local bow hunting class. i need to have him teach me how to use one.

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
Matthews Solo Cam
Tru Glo sights
Whisker Biscuit rest
S-Coil stabilizer
Tru-Fire release ;)

My only bow kill to date (soon to change this year)

My last 30 yd group

·
Big Honkin' Daddy
1,247 Posts
leeindy said:
ummm fresh meat
We call that a truckload of jerky. :twisted:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have a syrian bow, also called an hungarian horse bow.
the mongels also had this style bow but it was somewhat smaller.

i bought this bow for an impression as a sagittarii, archers who fought with the roman legions.
this bow shoots very flat and has good power at 55lbs @30' draw.

i have shot arrows thru fence slats approx 3/8" thick at 50'! and i didn't want too!
:-B-:

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shoot and hunt traditional only (longbows and recurves). When I miss, it is simply because I missed--it was MY fault. I think too many compund shooters have outfits so tricked-out that it is too easy to blame their EQUIPMENT when they miss. For them, more money will fix it. For me, more practice will fix it. When I DON'T miss, though, I get all the credit. My ideal yardage is 15-20yards with 25 yards being a REALLY long shot. "Shooting" is about how far you can get from the target and still hit it, while "hunting" is about how close you can get to your target. Both are valid--I'm not knocking the wheelie-bow guys, but I get my satisfaction from the latter.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sewerman said:
i have a syrian bow, also called an hungarian horse bow.
the mongels also had this style bow but it was somewhat smaller.

i bought this bow for an impression as a sagittarii, archers who fought with the roman legions.
this bow shoots very flat and has good power at 55lbs @30' draw.

i have shot arrows thru fence slats approx 3/8" thick at 50'! and i didn't want too!
:-B-:

those are soo coll imo, id love to get one some day!!

i have a crappy recurve, got it for free, shot it once, then i remembered why i didnt have one!!

have a hoyt cybertec, first year they came out.

also have a "pro eagle" thats about 2 yrs old.

both pretty cool looking and fun to shoot.

much more accuracy with the hoyt though.

just went through a course at the gun club with it todaw amof, 3 shots ea at 20 targets when you havent pulled it back (70 lb) in a long while is a feat in itself!!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hunt with a Mathews legacy or my longbows (I make my own). There a lot quieter shooting the back yard urban squirrles than my .22 :?

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
I had a 'Bear' recurve bow up to about 12 yoa. Once I started shooting guns, never picked the bow back up...don't even know what happened to it. I used to read 'The Archer's Bible' by Fred Bear back in the day.

I have always wanted a crossbow for some reason though....

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Scotticus said:
I shoot and hunt traditional only (longbows and recurves). When I miss, it is simply because I missed--it was MY fault. I think too many compund shooters have outfits so tricked-out that it is too easy to blame their EQUIPMENT when they miss. For them, more money will fix it. For me, more practice will fix it. When I DON'T miss, though, I get all the credit. My ideal yardage is 15-20yards with 25 yards being a REALLY long shot. "Shooting" is about how far you can get from the target and still hit it, while "hunting" is about how close you can get to your target. Both are valid--I'm not knocking the wheelie-bow guys, but I get my satisfaction from the latter.
Amen to that! :-B-: I use a martin rebel recurve. A while back my friend tried to use it while he usually uses a compound, funniest thing i've seen in a long time! He couldn't even pull it back. I don't have anything against compounds i've shot a few and theyre nice but i love my martin :D Great all around bow i would recommend it to anyone.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nope, but I always wanted a bow just for target practice.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
'09 Bowtech Captain, Trophy Taker drop away rest, Cobra 5 pin sight, Easton ST 340 arrows.
'50's Harry Drake and a Dick Green recurves.
I hunted in the 60's and 70's. Deer, pig, and pheasant. Coming back after a 25 year layoff. I'm sure learning a lot. Boy, the new bows are sure fast and flat shooting! One big difference compared to shooting handguns and rifles...no ear plugs!!!:biggrin5:

Rog

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I shoot an older PSE G-Force at 74 lbs with Easton XX75 2419 arrows 32" long. I wasn't going for speed with the arrows just penetration. When they hit they keep on going through a deer and are downright tough to get out of a 3D target. I'd like to get a new Mathews or Bowtech maybe next year. We'll see...

·
Hunter of Ducks
677 Posts
I use my old buckmasters G2 at 70lb and IBO of 309 it is considered slow. after PSE put 350fps they went wild now Mathews has the MonsterXLR8 (accelerate) or something like that, now that puppy goes 360+ FPS.

I have always been a speed guy, I love the KE you can get with them. Lately with all of the technology in compounds I have been considering going traditional but don't have a clue as to where to start. the only thing that is hindering my switch is the power in them. I practice with my G2 at 100yd, that is the max my sight will allow, my first pin is touching the top and the 7th (last) pin is touching the bottom of the sight. I dont have the KE at 100yd but I will be able to make an ethical shot on wounded game at 50-80yd and 100yd if needed.

I don't like the idea of 20yd then when he is wounded at 50yd and you know he will be consumed alive by a mountain lion or coyotes you cant do any thing about it. that is what drives me to practice and be a accurate as possible.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mathews feathermax. my buddy is a speed freak and asked me the other day when i was going to sell that antique? i guess hes right. the way bows are going now 7 yrs old might be an antique.i'm with you duckhunt, i'm thinking recurve. i havent shot at anything over 35 yds in years anyway so i'm not losing much in that respect. if they're too far i need to do more homework to get'em closer.

·
Hunter of Ducks
677 Posts
i'm with you duckhunt, i'm thinking recurve. i havent shot at anything over 35 yds in years anyway so i'm not losing much in that respect. if they're too far i need to do more homework to get'em closer.
yea it is a whole different experience, I watch "the best and worst of Tred barta" on verses ( once known as OLN ) and he scares the crap out of me they way he flings arrows like that. he uses his long bow and spot & stalks his game, I cant say how many times he has blown a 20yd shot.

I truly have a deep respect for how these animals live/survive every day and would never take a shot I did not feel like it would be a 100% kill. I hate it when hunters say "any one who has hunted will wound an animal" this is an excuse for them to take risks. I have never wounded game and don't ever plan on it. with my compound I can live by these rules do to the bows capability, this is what gets me with long bow/recurve bows . I have such a strong fear of wounding an animal and having it die by natures hand, which are the worsts deaths one can have, starvation, consumed while alive, trapped on some thing unable to move, they are just so harsh and pain full I would never want to do this. I feel that with the traditional missing seems to come with the territory and I DO NOT like it one bit. I'm no pro shooter but at 100 yd I can shoot a 4 inch group with ease, the bow dose ll the work you just hold the pin there squeeze the release and watch the arrow shoot up like a rocket then drop like a rock and smack where the pin is.

it is a tough decision and I don't know what I will do.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts