National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at throwing some cash @ My 870 would be good to see the mods that you Guys have done,Not gonna post pictures of a std 870,but good to see Mods,All Shotguns!!! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I assume you mean for defense. The best money you could throw at your 870 is a training class with a good instructor and a bunch of ammo. I know it's not "tacti-cool," but a stock 18" 870 with maybe a shortened plain stock and a decent recoil pad is perfectly adequate for defense. The typical number of shots fired from a shotgun in a non-military fight is one.

Sidesaddles, ghost ring sights, extended magazines, Vang Comp barrels...all the gun-rag-ninja stuff...just makes a slick, fast gun into a clunky beast and is totally unnecessary for a defense gun.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Mike Barham said:
I assume you mean for defense. The best money you could throw at your 870 is a training class with a good instructor and a bunch of ammo. I know it's not "tacti-cool," but a stock 18" 870 with maybe a shortened plain stock and a decent recoil pad is perfectly adequate for defense. The typical number of shots fired from a shotgun in a non-military fight is one.

Sidesaddles, ghost ring sights, extended magazines, Vang Comp barrels...all the gun-rag-ninja stuff...just makes a slick, fast gun into a clunky beast and is totally unnecessary for a defense gun.
Thank you - a man after my own heart when it comes to shotguns. Train, learn your weapon and practice. Keep the weapon simple and it will keep you safe, be easy to maintain and continue to work for many, many years.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My idea of tricked out is what I have. AimProTactical 590-A1 181/2" heavy wall barrel, pro ported, tuned action and trigger job, Hogue overmolded stock w/ 14" pull, Specter Gear CST sling, Mossberg ghost ring sights. 5+1 capacity.
Little recoil (22 ports) action slick as a baby's butt. Looks like your daddy's pump until you shoot it and work
that slick action.

http://www.aimprotactical.com/gpage11.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just recieved a ithaca 12ga. double barrel. it's a lewis model built around 1903. it has a beautiful damascus pattern around the barrels,much like chain link. the reciever has the usual old stye ithaca engraving of scrolling ,dogs on loint , snipe and pheasant. this is a christmas present for my son if i ever finish it. the stock and forend have to be replaced with english walnut. done. the frame and barrels will be left silver with gold inlay put in the etching and then covered with spray on dura coat clear.not done. now how do you shoot a damascus barrel shot gun with smokeless powder, you might ask? easy,but expensive.briley manufacturing from houston texas, are the makers of the best screw in and drop in insert tubes. i measured the lenghthof the barrels plus the inside demensions of the bore and muzzle. then iordered full length insert tubes. the trick is, you have to move down from 12 ga. to 16ga. or to 20. ga. 28 ga. or .410. you have to go smaller than 12 ga., the original. this is an old time 12 ga. ithaca lewis model 2 1/2, that is going to be a 28 ga. the point being, you can make an old family heirloom shotgun into a functioning piece. however the gun MUST be safe to shoot. i.e. it must be tight all around, everything must fit well and the head space MUST,I REPEAT MUST BE WITHIN ACCEPTABLE LIMITS. pblsyd. is this a tricked out shotgun? pblsyd

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My old Man years ago now...had an experience with a Damascus Barreled SBS, He was shooting with my Uncle,they were In the Hide side buy side,he needed to take a wizz so steppd out and round the corner,A Mob of greys droppd in outa the blue(as they do) My uncle let rip BOOM rippd the thing open like a Banana sprayd the side of the hide with a handful of 4# right were He should have been...The moral is,dont mess around with old hardware if dont Know what ur doin,Take it to A Gunsmith like plbsyd...someone who U know knows there stuff! cause the life U take may not BE Ur own ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This used to be mine, and she was about perfect. I wouldn't anything more than this though.

Sold her to pay for the P22, one of the biggest mistakes I've made.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SuFiPirate said:
This used to be mine, and she was about perfect. I wouldn't anything more than this though.

Sold her to pay for the P22, one of the biggest mistakes I've made.
SuFi Thats some serious Bak Up ;) :!: :!: N.E 1 else?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.