National Gun Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Aim true !
10,711 Posts
My father and i were discussing what is going on in the world. He said watch your back more than ever. And stay locked and loaded,

·
Registered
935 Posts
My daughter and of BF rent part of an old ranch house 10 miles from the nearest town or development in Central Tx. from an older lady. They moved out there because they thought they would be safer than in town around all the drug users.
They were wrong.
Other than her BF getting a black eye, no one was hurt.

Folks, I don't care where you live, to everyone else in the world, you are the "other guy". If it can happen, it can happen to you. You are not " me, right here where things like that don't happen".
Sometimes the place you are the least safe is the place you feel the safest.
The best place to attack is where the victim feels safe and does not expect to be attacked.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,377 Posts
There's a huge difference between feeling safe and being safe. Some people feel safest with a firearm in their possession but feeling safer doesn't make them safer. Other people feel safest if there are no guns anywhere near them. Again, feeling safer doesn't make them safer.

It's actually a quandary. Certainly if you feel safer carrying in your home, by all means, do so.

--Wag--

·
Registered
74 Posts
My daughter and of BF rent part of an old ranch house 10 miles from the nearest town or development in Central Tx. from an older lady. They moved out there because they thought they would be safer than in town around all the drug users. They were wrong. Other than her BF getting a black eye, no one was hurt.
I don't think people move away from urban crime zones to avoid a black-eye. I would say that statistically speaking as well has historical models regarding crime and violence, their decision to move 10 miles from the nearest town was probably a very sound one. The fact that someone got punched in the eye does not negate their decision.

Folks, I don't care where you live, to everyone else in the world, you are the "other guy". If it can happen, it can happen to you. You are not " me, right here where things like that don't happen". Sometimes the place you are the least safe is the place you feel the safest. The best place to attack is where the victim feels safe and does not expect to be attacked.
I don't think anyone in this thread has any illusions about being a potential crime victim. Sure, sometimes the place you are the least safe is the place you feel the safety.. the exact opposite can also be true. I am not sure what this revelation is supposed to mean.

As far as where someone is more or less likely to be attacked is not likely to have much to do with where the victim feels safe or how the victim feels (at all). That is just not how most crimes unfold ( IMO) and its even more unlikely that the badguy will have the occasion to know anything about the mental processes or sensibilities of the potential victim to begin with. How the badguy feels and where the badguy feels more or less confident, safe or in control is likely much more of a factor than anything the victim feels or thinks. To suggest otherwise seems to support some idea that crime is a carefully constructed endeavor like oceans 11 or something... its simply not that in my opinion. Most crime is unreasonable on its face when compared to risk vs gain vs consequence and most criminals are not likely to be carefully weighing the in's and out's of the potential victims personal psyche.

Being safe in your home begins at the curb with a quick general impression, not in your pocket or on your hip. Being safe in your home should probably be an endeavor made up of many parts and not simply centered on the gun. I don't carry a gun in my house, I simply do not want to live that way. I have firearms readily available for lawful self defense but I have put much more effort toward detecting danger early, having an obvious outward appearance, layout and landscape that works against the desires of the criminal and also hindering a badguys ability to easily enter my home by implementing strong security features. Its not something I did all at once but something I have been working on for years. If I feel like I need to carry a gun in my house, I will also feel a sense of failure regarding basic security needs.

I accept that each persons situation is different and I fault no person for carrying a gun in their home if they feel the need.

·
Registered
935 Posts
He got hit in the eye during a home invasion shortly after they moved in. Sorry, should have made that clearer.
Feeling secure is where you will put your guard down. Such as leave your firearm in a desk drawer instead of on you. If you don't have it before they come through the door, it's too late to go get it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Brother.. the number of people who actively carry a handgun on or about their person while inside their home is easily the extreme minority of gun owners. That said, there are a whole lot of people who have managed to arm themselves at the onset of a home invasion and successfully thwart the attack. I think your assertion currently lacks adequate qualification as common knowledge seems to stand against it. I wont say that you are wrong, I simply don't buy it.

I think it is fair to say that if you don't have a weapon(on you), you may not be able to retrieve it in time. A person can certainly bring a weapon to bear much faster if they have it on their person. I simply disagree with the suggestion that if you do not have the weapon on your person, its too late. I am not a proponent of despair, doom or hopelessness in the face of danger, I don't consider it productive. There certainly isn't much of a chance if a person does not try. As I said previously, people do it all the time. They get a gun from a nightstand, desk, closet, pantry, sock drawer, gun vault or wherever, and manage to defend themselves. Its not uncommon.

·
Mr.
208 Posts
100% of all home invasions happen inside the home.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Brother.. the number of people who actively carry a handgun on or about their person while inside their home is easily the extreme minority of gun owners. That said, there are a whole lot of people who have managed to arm themselves at the onset of a home invasion and successfully thwart the attack. I think your assertion currently lacks adequate qualification as common knowledge seems to stand against it. I wont say that you are wrong, I simply don't buy it.

I think it is fair to say that if you don't have a weapon(on you), you may not be able to retrieve it in time. A person can certainly bring a weapon to bear much faster if they have it on their person. I simply disagree with the suggestion that if you do not have the weapon on your person, its too late. I am not a proponent of despair, doom or hopelessness in the face of danger, I don't consider it productive. There certainly isn't much of a chance if a person does not try. As I said previously, people do it all the time. They get a gun from a nightstand, desk, closet, pantry, sock drawer, gun vault or wherever, and manage to defend themselves. Its not uncommon.
My point is not that the first point there is danger or might be that it is too late to get it. It may not be.
But if the first you are aware of it is when they are through the door and pointing guns at you,,,,well, it is too late.
It's all about risk assessment.
How likely is it to happen to you? How long will it take them to get in? How hardened is your home? Will you have time to get it?
Make your own assessment and decide. I just gave an example that no matter how safe you think you are, you may not be.
You may not think my example is valid. Ok. Don't consider it then. I promise you won't hurt my feelings. Just something to consider in other's decision if they decide to us it.
But for some, it is perfectly valid. For some of us, turning our home into a fortress with 24/7 surveillance to 500 yds is simply not an option. Or where we live.
What, when and how anyone carries is up to them, not me or you. It is their's to make. They are the ones that will have to live with the results of that decision.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Almost forgot. A lot of the elderly folks I know that have guns have them on them or within arms reach at all times while at home. 24/7 if they have a license. A lot of them are in no physical shape to go get it especially in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The major conceal carry proponents and training academies all teach or support a pants on, gun on type of mindset. When you get dressed put on your gun and keep it on until you get ready for bed at the end of the day, that way no matter where you are your gun is in the exact same place you've trained to draw it from.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My point is not that the first point there is danger or might be that it is too late to get it. It may not be.
But if the first you are aware of it is when they are through the door and pointing guns at you,,,,well, it is too late.
It's all about risk assessment.
Based on this logic and framework, its probably too late even if you have it. Somehow a band of intruders have suddenly appeared inside the home and have the "drop" on the homeowner.

My point is this:

If you feel like you need to carry a gun in your house, you may have some security related access control issues to address. (ie.. the use of cheap hollow core doors, soft wood jambs and contractor grade lock sets).

There are plenty of relatively cheap methods to really beef up door security. It may not keep a determined attacker out but it can certainly slow them down significantly. Thus offering you critical time to ready yourself and to also get a 911 help response initiated.

I am not against a person carrying a gun inside their home. I am not suggesting that a person refrain from carrying a gun. I am simply maintaining that if you [don't] you are not necessarily doomed. The overwhelming majority of people who have successfully defended themselves with a firearm ( inside the home) were not likely carry one on their person. I consider the idea of wearing a gun inside the home to be an exceedingly uncommon practice even if you were to go back as far as the late 1700s. I don't say that to suggest that there is anything wrong with it, there's not. Its just that bandits suddenly springing from the rafters is often a fairly easy condition to mitigate. People have guarded against such intrusions for thousands of years even before guns were invented.

The gun can certainly be an important part of any self defense system but its not always about the gun.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I said nothing about you being doomed. It is simply an option that should not be dismissed out of hand. And excavations in Pompei show that home invasions were a big problem and many of the homes had barricades on the doors. The had no local organized LE basically besides vigilantes.
Many people, like me, live places that have very limited ways they can harden their homes. What are they supposed to do? Suffer?
So some people have time to go and get their gun from wherever. You seem to think that every will every time. By that logic, since there are homes that are never invaded, no one ever will be.
You go ahead and think what you want. Your home is a hard target? Good. I genuinely hope if the need arises that it is enough. But there are those that DO NOT have that option for one reason or another. Or the option to move. To not consider every option and the possibility of needing it is simply asking for disaster. The more options they can plan for the better. But think about this. If they have it on them and don't have time to make use of it, no matter how hard their home is or is not, then the one in the nightstand or in the safe is equally useless. Isn't it?
Better to have and not need than to need and not have. Including in the home.

·
Live Free
2,997 Posts
Each person has to assess for themselves what is essential for security in their home. Structures differ from one area to the next and so do threat levels. Threat levels might change from one day to the next, as we have witnessed recently with rioting and looting. What is seen as practical for one may appear as quite unrealistic to another. To that end, sharing ideas/information is great, but we have to accept that not everyone will agree with our own ideas and maybe leave off criticizing another for their methods/ideas.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Each person has to assess for themselves what is essential for security in their home. Structures differ from one area to the next and so do threat levels. Threat levels might change from one day to the next, as we have witnessed recently with rioting and looting. What is seen as practical for one may appear as quite unrealistic to another. To that end, sharing ideas/information is great, but we have to accept that not everyone will agree with our own ideas and maybe leave off criticizing another for their methods/ideas.
You put it much more succinctly than me. Each of us is responsible for our own decisions on if, when and how to carry.
I have very bad joints, bad lungs and a bad heart. Moving quickly to get defensive tools is simply not a viable option.
I am also on a fairly fixed income, as are others. Turning my home into a fortress is also not a viable option.
Not considering when you will be aware of an intruder, regardless of how hard your home is, could be disastrous.
As I said, as far as the rest of the world is concerned, you are the other guy that those bad things will happen to.
The one option you don't plan for, no matter how unlikely, may very well be the one you have to face.

·
Registered
722 Posts
No 2 people are alike in their health or minds as to safety or being safe. Carrying a gun will not put the fire out if your house is on fire and you will suffocate from smoke inhalation if in a safe room. Children and elderly will depend on others to help them in time of need--if they are close by. You are responsible for your own safety and actions and must adjust accordingly no matter what others think or say. The advise or action they say to do may not fit you and your family.

·
Registered
74 Posts
So some people have time to go and get their gun from wherever. You seem to think that every will every time.
I plainly said.. majority, plenty and "most". None of those words mean.. all.

But there are those that DO NOT have that option for one reason or another
True.. that is why I made allowance for such a circumstance early on and mentioned it more than once.

To not consider every option and the possibility of needing it is simply asking for disaster.
Which is why I suggested that self defense/personal safety is a "process" made up of many issues and consideration.
If they have it on them and don't have time to make use of it, no matter how hard their home is or is not, then the one in the nightstand or in the safe is equally useless. Isn't it?
Well.. that really doesnt make sense in the way you presented it. How well a persons home is secured is very likely going to impact the time it takes for someone to make entry. So saying.. no matter how hard their home is, doesnt really seem realistic(IMO). How hard the home is.. will undoubtedly effect "time" regarding a forced intrusion. I will say that although a person might not be able to bring a weapon to bear.. moving, running, or otherwise putting space between you and your attacker can afford you critical seconds needed to bring a weapon into action. So, in theory.. if I cant get to a gun in my pocket but run to the bedroom. I may be able to either produce the weapon from my pocket ( on the run) or possibly access another weapon nearby.

If your suggestion is that a weapon on your person is more conducive toward an instantaneous self defense.. sure, I agree. I am merely suggesting that if a person feels that instantaneous defense is what is needed inside a private home that they themselves control .. perhaps there are others security issues that also need examining. If a person is renting or otherwise currently unable to make enhancements to the dwelling, I completely understand because I have been there. Unfortunately, there are many people who never think beyond the [weapon]. If nothing else, maybe this discussion has fostered the desire in one person to better secure their home.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I have a 1911 on my hip at all times. I keep a shotgun by every door. I have a 9mm on my night stand. I keep a 357 under my truck seat. I have a 380 tucked between the seats of my couch. There’s a .38 in the kitchen pantry. I keep a .22/1911 behind the toilet tank in the powder room. I have a small IED device I designed myself set near the garage door. None of this is true.
How do you remember where they all are? I carry a Ruger LC9 around my shop and at home, with one in the chamber, so it's easy to access if ever the need were to arise. :sneaky:

·
Registered
Pistoleer
74 Posts
I like to have defined guidelines depending on a given situation so I have created my version of the US Armed Forces DEFCON system. At the moment I am at my version of DEFCON 4 at home.

DEFCON 5 - No national, regional, or local problems to be concerned with. Pistol with loaded magazine and one in the chamber located nearby.

DEFCON 4 - One or more national problems which would be closely monitored. Pistol with loaded magazine and one in the chamber located nearby. Possible additional loaded magazine available.

DEFCON 3 - One or more regional problems which would be closely monitored. Multiple firearms with loaded magazines and one in the chamber located nearby. Additional loaded magazines available.

DEFCON 2 - One or more local problems which would be closely monitored. Pistol with loaded magazine and one in the chamber directly carried in a holster. Multiple firearms with loaded magazines and one in the chamber located nearby. Additional loaded magazines available.

DEFCON 1 - One or more immediate problems near my home. Pistol with loaded magazine and one in the chamber directly carried in a holster with multiple loaded magazines directly available. Multiple firearms with loaded magazines and one in the chamber located nearby. Additional loaded magazines available. Extra defensive posture in preparation for a possible direct attack against myself, family, or home/property.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts