National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The most vulnerable place at my house for a break-in is the basement. Old hatchway, low windows with lots of cover. I hang my better paper targets around the basement as a visual deterent. I started to wonder whether or not this is a good idea, does the BG say "he's got guns, lets get out of here" or does he say "he's got guns, lets find 'em"? Other than the targets you'd never know I've got guns in the house and you'd probably never find the safe without an ammo sniffing dog, but maybe I'd rather not give 'em the motive to look. I ordered my "this house protected by S&W" sign for the door but it's on back order. (sarcasm)

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
The NRA sells "Bitter Gun Owner Lives Here" lawn signs.

Dumb idea.

Take them down.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
I don't think posting your target will dissuade a BG, to be honest. If he's already made the decision that your home is a prime target, it's unlikely that you will change his mind by putting up a couple pieces of paper with some holes in it.

Plus, as a practical consideration, and I've posted this before, if you are in an altercation where lethal force is required, how will you explain a target with the center shot out to a jury? How will you get the question out of their mind that goes something like "if he can shoot that well, why did he have to kill the guy? Why couldn't he just wound him?"

It's just my opinion, but I don't think keeping your targets is a good idea in general.

Maybe replace the targets with a picture of the meanest Rottweiler you can find and text that goes something to the effect of "This dog may patrol this dog. Want to find out?"

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Plus, as a practical consideration, and I've posted this before, if you are in an altercation where lethal force is required, how will you explain a target with the center shot out to a jury? How will you get the question out of their mind that goes something like "if he can shoot that well, why did he have to kill the guy? Why couldn't he just wound him?"

It's just my opinion, but I don't think keeping your targets is a good idea in general.
I agree that keeping targets up is not exactly a good idea, but not for that reason. Honestly, that question is going to come up regardless of how good a shot you are. That is why you have your attorney and a certified "expert" in lethal force on speed dial.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
One year when the starlings kept raiding my bird feeder I set out for the cardinals and other more worthy species, I thought I'd start a war campaign. I shot a starling and killed it. I then strung it up on a near by branch to the feeder by a leg. It had no effect on the incoming flock of starlings that still wanted to raid my bird feeder, so I shot more of them. Even though one was hanging from the tree, and several on the ground, they continued to come until all of the feed was gone. The beautiful birds suffered that year, but didn't go hungry....I just went through more feed than I should have. Psychological warfare doesn't always work.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Not only is it a bad idea, but I find it childish as well. I used to hang my targets up on my wall when I was like 12. Besides, all you're doing by hanging targets up for public view is telling all the BGs out there you have guns and they will try and steal them while you are away.

·
Chicago Pro-Gun Activist
2,444 Posts
Actually, I have a work area in my basement where I will hang my most recent target and review my shooting as I am cleaning my firearm. It doesn't stay up more than a couple days but it helps me focus on what I need to improve.

G

·
I think I will disagree with everyone here. Not on the "what will happen?", but on "why will it happen?".

I doubt that it will deter intruders. For one thing, they might not even look at or notice them. They will be worried about what they can steal or kill or whatever. They will be worried about people seeing them.

Which brings me to my next point: if they do see and recognize them for what they are, I doubt it would turn them back. I think they would be more worried about listening for the sound of a round chambering or whatnot, and trying to figure out where you are.

The reason is this: they have already committed themselves. Even if they left and were seen, they are still guilty of breaking and entering. If they are going to risk getting in trouble, they might as well profit by it, right? Not to mention they can't be too good at decision making, seeing as they are breaking in in the first place.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I never bring any home. Sometimes one of the girls might and they last a week or so and are throwed in the garbage. I am not worried about it one way or the other because if a BG is in my house there is going to be a shooting. If I win has yet to be determined. I put nothing in the yard or in the windows.

·
Red State Rising
2,215 Posts
I save targets sometimes for future reference when researching what may be causing me to pull left etc. I don't hang em up though... aside from being not that smart, I think it's tacky also! :D

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
If I'm testing out different manufacturers and varieties of ammo, I save my targets.

I've purchased every manufacturer and load of JHP target ammo there is, and label my targets with the mgr, load, date and time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts