161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Always.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I carry with one in the chamber, it's ludicrous NOT to. How much advance notice does anybody think a bad-guy will afford you?

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
There aren’t any “time outs” in a gun fight!
......and that’s exactly why I DON’T carry condition 1. The average thief is not attacking you personally. He wants your wallet and you CANNOT shoot him over it legally. The average person with an attitude will not go from pissy to blazing without your influence and you should have shut up and walked away when you could. Quite simply .....there are no instant gunfights. Not even in the old west (they have been proven to be a made up legend). The only people who get fired on for “nothing but talking“ are Police because they are doing something directly affecting the other person. There simply are no instant gunfights for zero reason in anywhere USA and proponents of carrying chambered would have you believe otherwise. If you know somewhere is hot and you still go there armed, cocked, and loaded then prepare for the prosecutor to point out you already went in intending to fight ......causing more problems than good. Little things like that are the difference in 20 years in jail and walking free. I don’t care how anyone carries, but the “instant gunfight for no reason preparedness“ notion has gotten more people put in jail by more prosecutors than you know. “what bullets were you using, and why are they called DEATH WISH, why were you fully cocked and loaded instead of de-escalating the situation”, etc...... intent to go armed is instantly enforced carrying condition 1.

·
Live Free
2,879 Posts
......and that’s exactly why I DON’T carry condition 1. The average thief is not attacking you personally. He wants your wallet and you CANNOT shoot him over it legally. The average person with an attitude will not go from pissy to blazing without your influence and you should have shut up and walked away when you could. Quite simply .....there are no instant gunfights. Not even in the old west (they have been proven to be a made up legend). The only people who get fired on for “nothing but talking“ are Police because they are doing something directly affecting the other person. There simply are no instant gunfights for zero reason in anywhere USA and proponents of carrying chambered would have you believe otherwise. If you know somewhere is hot and you still go there armed, cocked, and loaded then prepare for the prosecutor to point out you already went in intending to fight ......causing more problems than good. Little things like that are the difference in 20 years in jail and walking free. I don’t care how anyone carries, but the “instant gunfight for no reason preparedness“ notion has gotten more people put in jail by more prosecutors than you know. “what bullets were you using, and why are they called DEATH WISH, why were you fully cocked and loaded instead of de-escalating the situation”, etc...... intent to go armed is instantly enforced carrying condition 1.
Well! That was quite a rant! Let me see if I can summarize; you seem to know everyone’s intentions when they rob you are actually intending no harm, only wanting your money, and you seem confident that people don’t get shot if they passively cooperate with the thief, and you even seem to think you know how every prosecutor is going to handle the cases... maybe not every case but every case where a citizen defends with a firearm. And thus you seem to predicate why it is best to carry a gun that is not ready for action. I sort of wonder why carry it if not in readiness, but I will leave that for the moment and try to respond to your comments.

First I would suggest it is foolish to think you know what a thief is thinking. When that person comes at you with a knife or firearm or even fists, you do not know what they are thinking, period! You have no idea their state of mind or how much alcohol or drugs are affecting their mind, to pretend that you should placate every thief who assaults you is foolish in my opinion. When attacked I will defend. I do not foolishly wander in areas where this kind of thing is more prone to happen, but thieves do not necessarily stay where you think they would be either.

Second, people who rob other folks are not Hollywood’s version of Robin Hood either! Just as most gunfights are nothing like Hollywood depicts, neither are the thieves. Thinking they just want to take your wallet and run away smiling is foolish.

Third, gunfights are sudden death to the unprepared or the one who does not maintain awareness of situational changes around them. You don’t know when some nut is going to walk into the store you are shopping in, the theatre you are at, or the church you are worshipping in and start shooting! And it might be very true that you cannot be the hero to stop the crazy man, but you are just part of the slaughterhouse without proper, ready protection! You will likely be caught unawares by the thief/robber on the street too...having the firearm is only half of the battle, you must always be aware of your surroundings, and, when possible avoid dangerous situations/places. And you need to train with the firearm; sharpen your skills! Be smart.

Finally, should I be forced to defend my family or self from harm, I am fully prepared for the possibility of litigation and the potential that there may be an attempt to make me the assailant instead of the victim who defended. I am not intending to shoot anyone; I live desiring that should never happen, but knowing that it could. Shooting will always be my last resort, but the last resort can come at you faster than you think so I want my firearm to be as ready as possible and yet carried safely. That might look different to another than it does to me. I don’t expect the shoot out at the OK Corral, or a draw down at thirty paces, but I am prepared for reality as best I can. And in my opinion, reality demands preparedness, so I am watchful, and I carry with a round in the pipe, or in the case of my RO Compact, cocked and locked. And I pray every day that I need never use it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yeah, well you go tell all of that spew to those that died at numerous schools and churches, Aurora Movie Theaters, and especially WalMart stores. As for as hold up men, you don't know what their intentions are. A person that sticks a gun in my face immediately tells me that this person is out to do me major harm and if I can get to my gun without tipping my hand, and bring it into play, I don't need to be racking or flipping safties.

The fact of the matter is that it is a free country with all different types of people with differing opinions. That being said, if you aren't comfortable carrying in condition one - fine, do it your way. But for me it's chambered and ready to rock.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
True life story...

A acquaintance of mine, his buddy and girlfriend went to the mall. Girlfriends ex-husband confronts them in the parking lot....ex-husband goes for his gun my acquaintance goes for his...ex-husband is shot and killed...acquaintance is shot through both pectoral muscles and lives to tell the tale.

Bottom line had acquaintance not been locked and loaded he would be dead today over something he knew nothing about.

IMO carrying a unloaded firearm for personal protection puts you in more danger. 🤷‍♂️

·
Banned
208 Posts
SIX frigging posts on a gun board and thinking you are the supreme ruler of how every one else should or shouldn't carry is like, you are a democrat or something. I bet ya even read a magazine yesterday.
MYOB

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
SIX frigging posts on a gun board and thinking you are the supreme ruler of how every one else should or shouldn't carry is like, you are a democrat or something. I bet ya even read a magazine yesterday.
MYOB
Nice way to run off new members.
I was not aware there was a minimum number of posts you need before you can have an opinion on something.

·
Banned
208 Posts
And all this time I thought it was YOU running off new members. I'll search the TOS agreement for that definition of "fools".

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yes, I do. Doesn't everyone?
Whenever I see this discussion on a gun forum, I like to remind the know-it-alls that there are two groups who use guns a lot in real combat and who are damn successful at it who don't carry with a round in the chamber: The Israelis and Russian Spetsnaz. So anyone think they are fools, or wussies, or people you would want to go up against?

OK, I'm ready for all the incoming "buts." Everybody's got one!

·
Registered
276 Posts
“Incoming butts??” :oops:

However you choose to carry you best train for it...
"Buts" with one "t," a noun meaning "an argument against something; an objection." Not "butts" with two "t's" meaning a persons' posteriors. Although everyone has one of those too!

Your point is well taken about training. FWIW, I carry with one in the chamber, but I just like to point out that someone who doesn't is not necessarily incompetent. Also, I have been in more than one tactical shooting class where we had to practice a quick, one armed reload and rack. It is a good skill to have, even if you carry with one in the pipe.

·
Live Free
2,879 Posts
"Buts" with one "t," a noun meaning "an argument against something; an objection." Not "butts" with two "t's" meaning a persons' posteriors. Although everyone has one of those too!

Your point is well taken about training. FWIW, I carry with one in the chamber, but I just like to point out that someone who doesn't is not necessarily incompetent. Also, I have been in more than one tactical shooting class where we had to practice a quick, one armed reload and rack. It is a good skill to have, even if you carry with one in the pipe.
Yeah, I was just pulling your chain a bit. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,358 Posts
Let's put it this way, since you're looking for buts.........

If your livelihood involves training with and even using firearms on a daily basis;
If you're training frequently and regularly to draw a weapon and rack the slide in a combat situation;
If you're dang good at it and can perform that function flawlessly in the face of an attack;

By all means, carry with an empty chamber.

If you're not doing any of the above with great frequently and intensity, then it's probably not worth the risk to carry without a round chambered at all times.

No two situations, no two people, no two weapons are ever the same and when you start combining these and other innumerable factors, you cannot, in good conscience, apply one answer to all situations.

Which is THE reason why such threads which attempt to apply a global answer are so completely absurd.

That said, though, such conversations can shed light for people who may not understand all the variability of carrying, etc. But it simply isn't reasonable to believe that you or anyone else knows enough to provide an answer that works for everyone.

--Wag--

161 - 180 of 186 Posts