141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Aim true !
10,290 Posts
It's a good post. :thumbsup:

·
I am a fellow Citizen
886 Posts
I look back at my response to this post and I see I have evolved .
As long as my carry has a Hammer block safety , my holster completely
protects the trigger area ,removal from holster allows for ZERO award grabbing of trigger
I will keep one in the chamber . To not have one chambered is like not carrying till you rack .
I have some small pocket pistols also , if I choose to just keep it in my pocket
in that case I will not have one in chamber

·
Registered
662 Posts
As a handicapped senior citizen, unable to choose fight or flight, I must make a stand wherever I am when the SHTF. To be sure I'm ready for a worst case scenario, I keep TWO rounds in the chamber. Better safe than sorry.
Well, you surely don't want to die, from a lack of shooting back, eh?:lol:

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
All the firearms in my house, and the ones I carry outside are loaded with one in the pipe. I pray I will never have to again take a human life. The best way for that not to happen is for predators to leave me alone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately, in the society we live in today, IF you choose to carry like I do, and again unfortunately more of a necessity these days where unfortunately I have to go to get to my job, I always have it in condition 1 with the hottest .357 hollow points I can get. I hope I never have to use it, but I am very glad I have it with me. When I am in my town where I live, often I do not carry because I do not see much of a threat, and talking to police in the Starbucks or other places like that they tell me that there really isn’t much of a crime problem, but my weapon when it is home is in a condition 1 state. Better to have it ready and NOT need it, than not have the time to have it ready for defensive purposes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't. Yea I know how it sounds but I just don't. So how do you carry your firearm? What are the positives and negatives of carrying with a round in the chamber?
I have to assume that no matter how much I practice, a lot of things are going to go to hell in a threat situation. My ability to think and remember steps will be severely diminished. It’s why I took the laser off my gun. Am I really going to remember to switch it on and find the red dot before I have to fire? No. When the need arises, you’re going to be operating on muscle memory. I know cops who have been involved in shootings. They get just as freaked when they have to draw and pull the trigger. Keep it simple.

Reactions: Coalcracker

·
Registered
13,710 Posts
You may be dead before you can chamber a round. I pocket carry Kahr, used to be a CM40, now it's a P380, no safety, just point -n- shoot. I like Kahr, I know I'm an oddball.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you're going to carry, it makes since to have your piece with one in the chamber. I also get why some people are uncomfortable doing this, which is the reason why I won't carry something unless it's either DA or has an external safety. To each his own I say, but I would never feel right about having a safe action striker pistol pointed at my balls all day with one in the pipe. No amount of training could convince me that is a good idea after a few of the videos I've watched. Yes, these things are always caused by negligence or mistakes. With that said, I over flowed my bath tub last week after I was distracted. It made a huge mess that was totally my fault. If the penalty for spacing out on the phone while drawing a bath was getting my junk blown off, I personally wouldn't only take showers if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
734 Posts
If you're going to carry, it makes since to have your piece with one in the chamber. I also get why some people are uncomfortable doing this, which is the reason why I won't carry something unless it's either DA or has an external safety. To each his own I say, but I would never feel right about having a safe action striker pistol pointed at my balls all day with one in the pipe. No amount of training could convince me that is a good idea after a few of the videos I've watched. Yes, these things are always caused by negligence or mistakes. With that said, I over flowed my bath tub last week after I was distracted. It made a huge mess that was totally my fault. If the penalty for spacing out on the phone while drawing a bath was getting my junk blown off, I personally wouldn't only take showers if you know what I mean.
Yeah, I can't help feeling like carrying a glock, is like carrying a cocked revolver. Except with a cocked revolver, at least you can uncock the hammer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i always carry with one in the chamber, and i am armed all day, even in my house especially now. course i live in chicago aka SHITcago, so.... need to be ready at all times. even when i am sleeping the pistol is less than a foot away from the bed and chambered.

·
Banned
208 Posts
I don't. Yea I know how it sounds but I just don't. So how do you carry your firearm? What are the positives and negatives of carrying with a round in the chamber?
If you don't know "the positives and negatives of carrying with a round in the chamber", may be you really shouldn't be carrying a gun in public at all.

Reactions: Northtidesix

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Yeah, I can't help feeling like carrying a glock, is like carrying a cocked revolver. Except with a cocked revolver, at least you can uncock the hammer.
You just hit the main reason I never carry any pistol or revolver with a striker. With a hammer you always know where you stand. s
Answer to your question is: Yes I always carry with one under the hammer or in the pipe.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is fine to carry one in the chamber as long as its in a holster and you keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot :machinegun:

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
It is fine to carry one in the chamber as long as its in a holster and you keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot :machinegun:
I DO NOT ever wear a holster. I do not plan on shooting my self in the ass or the balls, so I carry revolver in my front trousers pocket. Back in the 70's a middle of the back holster but a close friend on mine in a wheel chair for about 6months. No he did not shoot himself. While fighting with a druggie making an arrest. The druggie landed on top of my buddy. The 1911 in the spine holster injured four of the lumbar vertebra i
If you feel comfortable unloading your pistol/revolver while you carry, go for it. My experience has taught me when I need a gun I need it loaded and right now.

No gun or holster position is fool proof.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'[m usually carrying a revolver, so there's always one in the chamber. :thumbsup:

On the occasion I carry a SA, yes, they're always loaded n+1. They're all decocker guns, so I'm okay with that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
A round in the chamber? Of course.

I consider it a little naïve to assume that [time] will be available to make yourself and your weapon "ready".

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
318 Posts
We all carry different guns, live in different areas, and do so for different reasons. What works for some doesn’t for others. It’s totally different for a 1911 vs a newer semi-auto, revolver guys are a completely different conversation entirely. Some of us are in bad areas, some almost never go in a place they foresee possible danger.

The chances of ME getting into an old west gunfight are slim to none and if you have time to draw from your holster you have time to rack it on the way out, IMO. Especially if you train that way, which you should.... your gun may jam. So I carry condition 3, there are too many safety issues to condition 1 that I personally just don’t want to deal with.

I’m usually carrying 9mm IWB, but sometimes i carry pocket with a smaller 380 because sometimes my attire doesn’t hide my gun - especially in the summertime. I’ve been doing something and had my leg struck by an object many times that would have nailed the trigger in my pocket and set the gun off. Once in a while I’ll throw change in my pocket without remembering I have the 380 because it’s not normal for me to have it. These are just a few reasons why condition 3 is best for me.

Some of you don’t pocket carry mini pistols, some of you don’t work an active job where a construction type job doesn’t have things rubbing and hitting your leg all day. Point is, what works for one doesn’t work for all so people saying its useless to have a gun that’s not chambered is only for YOU. Last week I watched a buddy accidentally put his keys in the same pocket his Glock 43 was in (condition 1) and he immediately realized it and removed the gun and keys at the same time. The key loop was around the trigger depressing the trigger safety just 2 seconds after he did it.

Condition 1 takes so much of the room for error out that accidents can happen easier even to seasoned owners. I personally feel like if I’m ever in a situation to defend my life and I can’t slap that rack as the gun is pulled from the holster then I was going to get shot either way.

141 - 160 of 186 Posts