National Gun Forum banner

121 - 140 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
I grew up carrying either a Colt 1911 .45 or a Ruger single action revolver. I am hard wired to thumb to automatically thumb the hammer back when I draw it. Yup, even under stress. So carrying with one in the pipe is something that I have always done with out second thoughts. I would add that I don't touch the trigger until it is time to shoot. Practice, practice, and then practice some more. It has to be automatic or you will surly forget when the fat is in the fire. Particularly if it is you fat getting seared.

·
Wyoming
4,252 Posts
Damn Northtidesix you been reading my mail.:lol: My first handgun was a 1917 Colt New Service .45 ACP. they sold new condition for $18 dollars. That would be $153.00 in today's dollars. The National Guard never seemed to miss 500 rounds of .45 ACP. Later on I acquired a South American 1911 .45 Ballister Molina. The old .45 harvested many Sidewinders gliding over hot sand.
I own many revolvers and a pile of 1911 Colts. But I still remember those old sidearms from so long ago.:25:

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
I bought a 1911 Ithaca .45 from a pawn shop outside Ft Bliss Army Base for $50. I had to mow lawns @ $.50 a piece for an entire summer. I was 12 yrs old. My first Ruger was a fluted cylinder Ruger Black Hawk .44 mag. cost me $125. brand new in 1969. I wouldn't care to have the Ruger back. I do wish I my cousin hadn't run off with my 1911 while I was in Vietnam. That pistol had been tricked out for bullseye target shooting by a previous owner. We didn't miss much we shot at.

·
Wyoming
4,252 Posts
There was a shooting Range near Ft. Bliss.:weapons::lol: Wow, those long gone days. We were handling weapons from Crane Naval Ammunition Center Indiana and Browning Arms at Arnold, Mo. to points in SE Asia. I think that was in 1968? The shipments of Agent Orange leaking from drums was not considered a danger.:yikes1: My Mdl. 36 S&W Chief was fed so many .38 metal case bullets the bore was worn out. We spent many hours shooting cans and killing time.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
That shooting range was likely a place called "Fletchers" on hwy 62-180. Montana street inside the city limits. That was where I had to proof the rifles I made in the gun shop. That range was nearly 'Downtown' the last time I was there in 1997. Horizon City is now a thriving community. El Paso is a dirty drug town that isn't any fun anymore.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I grew up carrying either a Colt 1911 .45 or a Ruger single action revolver. I am hard wired to thumb to automatically thumb the hammer back when I draw it. Yup, even under stress. So carrying with one in the pipe is something that I have always done with out second thoughts. I would add that I don't touch the trigger until it is time to shoot. Practice, practice, and then practice some more. It has to be automatic or you will surly forget when the fat is in the fire. Particularly if it is you fat getting seared.
I will go one further, I do not even touch the gun unless I intend to shoot while carrying.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
Wen I draw it it will be time to shoot. Otherwise it stays hidden. During the bad old days on the job we had to give warning, sort of a last chance to give it up, before firing. As a civilian I am not compelled to give warning. When I draw it is already too late to give up. That is a fact. Sorry if that offends. :thumbsup:

·
Wyoming
4,252 Posts
That shooting range was likely a place called "Fletchers" on hwy 62-180. Montana street inside the city limits. That was where I had to proof the rifles I made in the gun shop. That range was nearly 'Downtown' the last time I was there in 1997. Horizon City is now a thriving community. El Paso is a dirty drug town that isn't any fun anymore.
All true as I recall. My old friend there passed away a few years ago. The last time we were in El Paso was 2010. It is truly a dump. My friends were neighbors to Lee Majors and Farrah Fawcett back in 1974. It seems we may have been there at the same time.

·
Registered
7,947 Posts
All true as I recall. My old friend there passed away a few years ago. The last time we were in El Paso was 2010. It is truly a dump. My friends were neighbors to Lee Majors and Farrah Fawcett back in 1974. It seems we may have been there at the same time.
I wore a city badge from 1972-1982 mostly in the North East sector. The drug wars were just really getting started at that time. Got just a mite excitin fro time to time. I couldn't survive on the job today. My son is a BP agent and some of the crap he has to put up with obay. I would windup fired or in jail. Most likely both.
I really didn't intend to hijack this thread. Just talking to someone that walked the same ground is sort of fun.
:wink:

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Yup! really no need to explain, common since prevails :lol:

·
Wyoming
4,252 Posts
I wore a city badge from 1972-1982 mostly in the North East sector. The drug wars were just really getting started at that time. Got just a mite excitin fro time to time. I couldn't survive on the job today. My son is a BP agent and some of the crap he has to put up with obay. I would windup fired or in jail. Most likely both.
I really didn't intend to hijack this thread. Just talking to someone that walked the same ground is sort of fun.
:wink:
I am going to PM your regarding the policing of the Border.

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
Yes, I do. Doesn't everyone?

·
Registered
99 Posts
During the period of time it takes you to become comfortable with your firearm, particularly if you are new to cc, I would say go ahead and carry unchambered until you develop that familiarity. Get a good holster that doesn't collapse when you draw, and practice drawing and reholstering (please empty your firearm for this) over and over. Once you trust yourself enough, its time to start carrying with one in the pipe. I have a p-64 that I carry safety on because there is no slide lock and I read about an AD where the slide pulled the hammer back enough that it fired and the scared but fortunate fellow ventilated his floor. Before this i carried safety off. My other carry pistols are a Glock 30s and an s&w model 36, neither of which have an external safety. All carried ready to rock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I first started off without one in the chamber, but now I always have one in the chamber but I have my safety on. It's a 1911 so it's pretty easy and quick to turn the safety off.

·
Aim true !
10,290 Posts
I first started off without one in the chamber, but now I always have one in the chamber but I have my safety on. It's a 1911 so it's pretty easy and quick to turn the safety off.
Welcome to the forum. Stop by the new members area and introduce your self. :wink:

·
I am a fellow Citizen
886 Posts
Interesting How One-Nation decided to move on a time ago , Yet post's he started live on .
-------------------
Revolver's are my favorite ,
I wont carry a Semi Auto Chambered but I live in the most peaceful town
I don't goto Philly cause it's far from me ,
but sure if I was in a bad neighborhood i'd have it chambered
But living in a farm country , it's all hypothetical
I'd more likely have an issue with a Bear

121 - 140 of 186 Posts