National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Follower of Christ.
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't. Yea I know how it sounds but I just don't. So how do you carry your firearm? What are the positives and negatives of carrying with a round in the chamber?

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Always carry with a round chambered. If you ever have to use your gun to save your life fractions of a second count. That round chambered could be the difference between Dead or Alive. Someone quick on the trigger could empty 8 rounds in you in the time it takes you to chamber a round. Remember, you will be nervous when you need to pull out your gun and will not be as fast as you are practicing in your house.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,338 Posts
I always carry a round chambered. However I also always use a quality holster, that will not allow movement of the trigger accidentally or otherwise.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Chambered, with a solid holster. If the weapon has an active safety, it's on.

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Do you really believe you can load a cartridge in the chamber quickly enough to save your life or others? How trained are you in this doing this tactic? How trained are you in hand to hand? Someone twenty feet away, your firearm still holstered and unchambered, he unexpectedly runs with a knife in hand to you, do you really believe you will chamber the round fast enough and get off a shoot or two stopping the attacker? I have posted vids on my face book page where average people and police showing this technique.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
A gun without a bullet in it? It is a club at best. Any other time without a bullet in it? It's paper weight or a door stop.

·
Registered
13,723 Posts
^^^^^ By the time you even know what's going on, the perp is on you. Even with one in the chamber, the scenarios I run through my head I'm dead before I even know there is a threat. If I'm the primary target, I doubt I'll react fast enough. If someone else is the first, I might be able to stop it before the second target gets it. I try to keep aware of my surroundings, but most the time I'm in my head doing other things. The attacks I've seen in surveillance cameras happen so fast the victim doesn't even know it's coming,

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
Which is the reason I asked if he was trained in hand to hand or how often does the op train in this technique. The twenty feet away scenario is just to get people thinking.

·
Super Moderator
5,704 Posts
There has been vides of where people forget to chamber their firearm when being attacked. To much of a chance for the firearm to, when trying chambering them, either jams or the user does not pull the slide back far enough, to much of in a rush / adrenaline / excitement / fear, to chamber a round correctly.

Reactions: SGW _Gunsmith_

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I get my CC gun, it will be my first time carrying, so I will NOT be carrying with a round in the chamber at first. After I get to know the gun and get used to carrying it, I'll switch to carrying in the chamber. But as a new shooter with a new weapon, not yet.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I can't even imagine carrying a firearm without a cartridge in the chamber.. I mean otherwise why not just point your finger and go bang.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
At 7 yards (21 feet) an adult human in good shape can be on you in one (1) second. You have to ask yourself this- Can you react, pull your weapon, rack the slide, aim, and fire a round in one second?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I didn't used to. I thought all I needed to do is rack it and be ready. But after reading the newer guns will not fire when dropped or without pressing the trigger, I started carrying with a round chambered. I don't even think about it any more ready to go pew, pew, pew...

·
Registered
13,723 Posts
I didn't used to. I thought all I needed to do is rack it and be ready. But after reading the newer guns will not fire when dropped or without pressing the trigger, I started carrying with a round chambered. I don't even think about it any more ready to go pew, pew, pew...
I inspect the safety mechanism regularly to make sure it won't go off without my intent. Mechanical stuff fails, I want to be sure my mechanical stuff works properly!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Now that I think about it, the OPs question is a good argument for revolvers as ccw. I'll stick with my XD though

1 - 20 of 186 Posts