National Gun Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following is a new forum rule pertaining to copying and pasting articles from outside sources.

Posting articles from other sites is fine if you follow 2 simple rules:

1) Only post a small sample of the article

2) Include a link to the original content with this sample.

Failure to comply with the above will result in a warning. Repeated violations will result in your account being locked.

Background:
These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings. Posting someone else's content harms them in several ways, most of all the circumventing of their sites and thus the loss of traffic. This is becoming more serious of an offense across the internet and lawsuits are becoming common. Understanding the simple rules posted above will not only help this site, but also those who are creating content. It will also keep you from being sued as this site is a 3rd party engine, meaning YOU are responsible for the copyright violation, not us. We will always abide by author requests to remove content.

Reactions: Steyr Man 146

·
Super Moderator
14,196 Posts
I guess the lawyers have found a way to censor information even in as grand an experiment as every created by man in the realm of communication. Intellectual property, as with most other property, does not belong to the one who produced it. It belongs to the one who copyrighted it. The older I get the wearier I become in dealing with the greed and trifling bitterness of mankind and his quest for ownership of all the pebbles on the beach. It's times like these that I wait for some small spark of purity in mankind to shine a bit and remind me that there is still goodness in the world.

BTW, I just created the above passage and whomever may do whatever with it as long as it is used for goodness.

Alan

Reactions: Steyr Man 146

·
Registered
18,446 Posts
Well....following the above two (2) steps isn't all that difficult. You do have to bring a little cooperation and effort to "the game".

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
Then there's this...

FAIR USE NOTICE: This site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been pre-authorized by the copyright owner. Such material is made available to advance understanding of political, economic, scientific, social, art, media, and cultural issues. The 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material that may exist on this site is provided for under U.S. Copyright Law. In accordance with U.S. Code Title 17, Section 107, material on this site is distributed without profit to persons interested in such information for research and educational purposes. If you want to use any copyrighted material that may exist on this site for purposes that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
Update:
These days more and more original content is being placed directly on websites. In order to combat copyright protection and maintain ownership of content, sites are employing people to hunt down unauthorized repost and contacting those sites with warnings.
These folks have been severely slapped down by the Courts.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Legally, once somebody publishes an article (or a photograph) on the internet they have severely limited their copyright options. 'Fair Use' becomes the norm. The only way anyone who posts their own copyrighted material on the net can sue for copyright violation is if someone uses their copyrighted material to make money from it.

Here in this forum, it is perfectly legal to copy and paste the entire article and a link to the source should always be provided. That alone guarantees that the article (or picture) is being used as 'Fair Use' for disseminating information in the public forum.

I have done research on this before. In this context of a public forum, the 'fair use' laws pertaining to copyrights will prevail once the material is published on the internet. There are case law cases for this also.

One thing I would ask people who post something that comes into their news feed or from other sources is to please double check the content for validity. Try to verify that what you are posting is in fact true. There is a lot of **** on the internet that is plain false or just taken out of context.

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
Doing the right thing doesn't require a law. If you quote someone, give credit where credit is due. Using the link is plenty good.

--Wag--

·
Crazy Cat Lady
1,496 Posts
One thing I would ask people who post something that comes into their news feed or from other sources is to please double check the content for validity. Try to verify that what you are posting is in fact true. There is a lot of **** on the internet that is plain false or just taken out of context.
You mean kind of like when you posted this...
http://www.nationalgunforum.com/news-room-latest-headlines/49698-commiefornia-banning-45-acp-ammo.html

And then responded with this...
Much agreed, my apologies. Quite honestly I don't get time to double check everything that passes my way. So, for those of you who did have the time to fact check, Thank You.
...when people pointed out it was total bs off a bs website?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
For the record then: Anybody can use material from my blog "Greybeard Speaks Out" provided they include a link to the blog. Getting the ideas out there is more important to me than the non-existent revenue.

·
Aim true !
10,045 Posts
I just love it when new folks bump old threads. :lol:

·
Aim true !
10,045 Posts
lol yes.

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
It's good advice -- it follows the 'fair use' doctrine/custom. Pasting full text can violate copyright law and get folks in trouble, we don't want that to happen. Linking back to the original is the right thing to do for everyone concerned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts