National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have wanted to own a gun for a long time I don’t live in a safe area and as a single female who lives alone I feel like it would make me feel safer.

When I was 15 I was living in CA, and I was committed to a mental institution for depression and self harm. I remember signing a court document saying I could not own a gun or live in a household with a gun for five years.

Fast forward now I’m 20 I worked through all that stuff from when I was a teen, and I’m turning 21 soon the legal age in Washington to own a gun.

So if I go to purchase a weapon and they do a NICS check on me will I get rejected? Should I just risk it and go down and try to buy a gun? I can’t find any information on the court order, I just remember it said five years after the incident. I do know all the laws with mental illness and guns are changing or in the process of being changed so I was just wondering if any of you had any idea?? Thanks a lot.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
When you turn 21 try. All it will cost is the price of the NCIS check. To find out. What is Washington's age requirements on long guns? If it's 18 try a long gun for now if you desire a long too.

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
The 5 year thing may be that at 21 you're no longer a juvenile. Those records may be sealed. So they said you couldn't own a firearm for 5 years? You were under 21, so.... I don't know how long that law has been in effect, in CA, probably forever.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
why trust a community forum for an answer when its your freedom on the line?

call your regional BATF Inspector and simply ask before you put your signature to a document that comes with a potential penalty for an incorrect answer.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
Last time i was at my LGS a guy was turned down. He claimed he had no idea why. And asked how to find out. Zach gave him a form to find out. At Dunhams they told me folks were hauled away when they tried to buy guns. They said something pops up from NCIS that tells them to stall the buyer so the police have time to arrive. So yes good idea to check before applying, Sorry I gave bad advice.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I worked selling firearms for an FFL for 20 years. The only thing NICS will do is tell you proceed or denied, possibly their ID number. Nothing else.
Of that 20 years, I recieved one call from ATF to see if the guy was still in the store and could I stall him for local LE without putting anyone at risk. He was wanted for a string of straw purchases from Texas to Arizona but had left by then.
If you were voluntarily committed, as far as I know you should be good.
If it was court ordered or you were a ward of the court, you may not be.
My advice is talk to an attorney that specializes in such cases.
An ATF agent will USUALLY tell you what the law is and if you still qualify legally. But not always.

Talk to a lawyer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
How does a 15 y/o sign any legal document? Where were your parents in all of this. Forget the legal requirements and I'm neither qualified nor can I examine your mental state but are you medically and mentally capable of safely owning a gun?

You should be able to find out what document you signed with a diligent search. See if you can get legal aid. Obviously from what you said you should be able to legally purchase a gun. If you are able and you do make sure you get proper safety instruction.

A gun is not a magical item that makes you safe. It should be used as a tool of last resort. I don't know your financial situation and you may be stretching it budget wise. If you don't live in a safe area you should consider moving to a safer one. Get some pepper spray.

·
Aim true !
10,266 Posts
One time my son was put on pending. We left. We were almost home. Zach calls and said come get your gun. Who knows why it happened.

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
If you call the agency that handles this, they can't tell you over the phone why you were denied. But, if you have an idea what it is, you can ask them a general question, like "Does it have to do with California", and they can answer yes or no. When I was denied, I had to write to them to find out why I was denied. An incident in NYS in 1972 stopped it. I got that cleared up, got my gun. Later, when I applied for my permit or buy another gun, it was stopped. I called tham and asked if it was NY, they said yes. So I knew what it was, I just emailed the documents again with the case number, it was cleared within an hour.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The "delay" doesn't have to make sense!
I've never been delayed.

A good friend says:
1st time was delayed. Waited 20 mins but took 3 days.
2nd time was delayed. Didn't wait expecting another 3 days. Got call in 15mins approved.
3rd and 4th time approved immediately.
5th time delayed approval call never came. Picked-up rifle after the 5 day period.
next 2 times delayed - Both for 15 mins.

He doesn't have a very common name, puts SSN on application each time and has never been arrested.

So go figure ???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts