National Gun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they do have 165 grain 9mm. would that be equivalent to or close to the 40 cal 180 grain? and can i order ammo online in cali or is that illegal with cali strict gun laws?

·
Aim true !
10,068 Posts
No is the short answer. Less case capacity = less powder to push the bullet.

Reactions: Fitasc Shooter

·
AZHerper
3,671 Posts
Unfortunately, in California, you have to have online ammo purchases shipped to an FFL holder or authorized ammo vendor.

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
Knock down power is a myth. Stopping power however comes from a combination of bullet penetration and expansion to create rapid blood loss. None of which is worth a hoot unless you can hit the vitals.

·
Live Free
2,808 Posts
Deeper penetration and I guess good for steel plates. Might be somewhat useful in the woods against predators, but there are many more effective cartridges for that. For self defense this would not be a premium choice. Looks to be on the expensive side also because of low demand.

·
Registered
158 Posts
they do have 165 grain 9mm. would that be equivalent to or close to the 40 cal 180 grain? and can i order ammo online in cali or is that illegal with cali strict gun laws?
Kinetic energy is based upon velocity and mass. However a faster bullet will out do a bullet of equal weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
21,963 Posts
Ideally, you want the round that expands the most and penetrates 12"-18".

·
Super Moderator
11,198 Posts
For 9mm, I'm convinced that the best balance of all of the components is a 147gr hollow point. Gold Dots, Hydroshok, Ranger XT, etc.

--Wag--

Reactions: SGB

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
they do have 165 grain 9mm. 1. would that be equivalent to or close to the 40 cal 180 grain? and 2. can i order ammo online in cali or is that illegal with cali strict gun laws?
1. No
2. No

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,782 Posts
For 9mm, I'm convinced that the best balance of all of the components is a 147gr hollow point. Gold Dots, Hydroshok, Ranger XT, etc.

--Wag--
And I'm convinced its a 124/125 gr premium hollow point. Different folks, different strokes.

Reactions: Nrah and Wag

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
i consider the 124 gr to be the best operating standard......in gun cycle reliability, accuracy, and penetration..

everything else lighter or heavier is very dependant on bullet technology, profile, and +p levels for stopping power and feed reliability......

·
Registered
28 Posts
The heavier 9mm bullets were designed to make the gun more controllable (less snap) and to have more hang time on the steel targets (the lighter bullets tend to bounce off steel and not knock it down as well). They do have one shining moment though. They tend to go through auto windshields and stay on track and deliver more punch to the target. Wit all that said a handgun is woefully under powered and 80% of the people shot with them survive. You must hit exactly where you need to to stop a threat with any handgun small enough to carry.

·
Aim true !
10,068 Posts
You don't want a self defence round going through 3 water jugs. Over penetration reasons. I can run a hard cast lead 115 grain though 3 jugs of water.

Reactions: Popeye and Wag

·
Registered
662 Posts
And I'm convinced its a 124/125 gr premium hollow point. Different folks, different strokes.
Whereas I like the 115 grain pill for the increased FPS. Jacking bullets isn't going to cause the sea change or quantum change you desire. If you want that much more power, just go to a more powerful caliber. Higher power bullets jack your slide, frame, and internals. You're going to almost finish shooting up one of those jacked "premium " boxes of ammo, one day, only to find a cracked slide, busted extractor, or a beat up frame.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts