National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m gonna stuff this in here because I’m looking through reviews for my next Henry. I’m gonna first say it’s not often I disagree with Hickok45 but it happens from time to time. I was specifically looking at reviews on the .327 fed magnum and I came across one of his videos. Posted below.

I’ve recommended this chambering before in a revolver, specifically because of the variety of cartridges that can be run in that chambering. This video prompted me to do some math. The American Eagle 100gr traveling at 2186 FPS from an 18” barrel (on paper, I’m sure the 20” is probably moving faster) has more muzzle energy than the average 55gr .223 from an AR-15 carbine. I’d say it’s absolutely a respectable round. Granted, due to its shape, it’s not going to fly as flat as far as a .223 will but am I wrong here?

I am just opening the discussion because ill be I’ll be doing some testing soon enough.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I was considering a Henry in 327 but the issues A. McDaniel had with his .41 made me turn away.

·
Live Free
2,894 Posts
I don’t agree with everything he says, but often he makes reasonable points regarding the numerous guns he tests. Personally, I would go with a .357 instead of the .327 also. The .357 easily bests the .327 in a carbine sized rifle. The Henry he was shooting strikes me as being an oddball attempt at sales that will result in very limited production and thus may become collectors some day...maybe. Nothing wrong with the caliber or the rifle if one likes shooting it...I just do not see where it excels anywhere to make it more desirable. Course, that is just my opinion. Got a couple of pennies here too...:smilewinkgrin:

·
Live Free
2,894 Posts
I was considering a Henry in 327 but the issues A. McDaniel had with his .41 made me turn away.
Yeah, and there is that situation too. I have a slightly jaundiced view of Henry after following that issue.

·
Registered
369 Posts
According to charts on Ballistics by the Inch (links below), a 100gr .327 magnum fired from an 18" barrel has about the same muzzle energy as a 55gr .223 fired out of a 16" barrel.

.327 mag

.223 win

That said, it's not really a fair comparison IMO, they're two very different rounds made to fill two very different roles. I think a better comparison for the given application (lever rifle) would be .327 vs .357. Or if you're comparing it to an auto, then I would go with 9mm, since it is a similar diameter and can be commonly found in both handguns and carbines.

EDIT: .327 might have slightly more, taking another look at it, but they're pretty close.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.327 soft tip vs .357 jhp, both federal, both will mushroom pretty well. Both from and 18” barrel. 327 will have deeper penetration. .357 a slightly larger wound cavity. Again, it’s on paper and not tested yet.

26ABEF5E-27BE-420B-86CC-0047118449A0.jpeg

BB74F12E-09BA-44A4-9B7F-B0E5F10DFE2E.jpeg

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
According to charts on Ballistics by the Inch (links below), a 100gr .327 magnum fired from an 18" barrel has about the same muzzle energy as a 55gr .223 fired out of a 16" barrel...
I get what you’re saying but my comparison is between a standard AR-15 setup vs the 20” lever action he is shooting. Yes they are different but the point is, the Henry he is holding has more muzzle energy than the standard AR-15 setup and even more so than the 14.5” M4 rifle our soldiers get handed. The comparison was simply stating it’s underestimated in terms of its power in a rifle.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just for fun I want to test it against so body armor. I’ll have to order some. Rating will depend on what I can reasonably acquire.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
Both from and 18” barrel. 327 will have deeper penetration.
Based on what?

Penetration is based on bullet design......the more expansion the less penetration is the general rule of thumb.

A extra .005 of expansion is mute compared to extra bullet holes that are complete pass throughs.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Based on what?

Penetration is based on bullet design......the more expansion the less penetration is the general rule of thumb.

A extra .005 of expansion is mute compared to extra bullet holes that are complete pass throughs.
Smaller diameter bullet traveling at a higher rate of speed will penetrate further if comparing 2 equal bullet designs and comparable muzzle energy, yes? I’m not sure where .005 expansion came into play but (and I’m speculating here, I’ve been surprised before) 158 grain .357 has 58% more mass to expand than a 100 grain .327. My guess is that’s going to amount to a little more than .005”

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
There is a thread in this forum, but I can't find it. Alan would be the best one to talk to the issues he had had with his .41 mag Henry. But more to the point, Henry was filling a gap with the 327 left by Marlin. Marlin made a 32-20 that is very popular in the CA (cowboy action) market. Those folks had been after Marlin to bring it back to market. Henry jumped in when Marlin refused. One of the reasons you don't often see Henry 327 on the used market, cause they are snapped up fast.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
158 grain .357 has 58% more mass to expand than a 100 grain .327. My guess is that’s going to amount to a little more than .005”
Bullet expansion is based on design not weight.

If it makes it better, lets give it .010 more expansion now we're up the average size of three human hairs combined.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For the record, I don’t disagree on design. But I do believe mass will play a factor. I think you might have missed where I said of equal design.

·
Registered
6,247 Posts
[QUOTE.327 soft tip vs .357 jhp, both federal, both will mushroom pretty well. Both from and 18” barrel. 327 will have deeper penetration. .357 a slightly larger wound cavity.][/QUOTE]

This is what I was working off of.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Smaller diameter bullet traveling at a higher rate of speed will penetrate further if comparing 2 equal bullet designs and comparable muzzle energy, yes? I’m not sure where .005 expansion came into play but (and I’m speculating here, I’ve been surprised before) 158 grain .357 has 58% more mass to expand than a 100 grain .327. My guess is that’s going to amount to a little more than .005”
I meant here. I did originally compare a soft point and a hollow point but they are both expanding designs. I was just limited on data at hand. I think we agree on everything but mass. We are just talking around each other.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Let’s level set here. It’ll be 6 weeks before I can order the rifle and probably another 2 before it comes in. I still have 2 guns I’m paying off before I can order this one. I already have the .357 here.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts