National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it says, disappointed in the results with TiteGroup in 100gr 380 loads. Load recipe says 2.7-3.0gr. 3.0 should produce 912 fps. I tried 3.0 with no increase in speed. None topped 860. I am curious about the load data only showing 14,700 CUP @ 3.0gr. Isnt the max pressure like 21,500 psi?

2.9gr 2.7” barrel

2.9gr 3.6” barrel 380

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
How did the gun function and were they accurate? I have never used a crono when doing my loads, i just look for the two things i mentioned.

·
Registered
14,894 Posts
Don’t know about accuracy. I know that 157lbs of energy is a bit weak. Yes, they functioned in both.
Well i guess it depends on the intended use of the ammo. Self defense, hunting or just range fun. 99.9% of my ammo is just intended for range fun so function and accuracy is all i hope for. Speed, energy etc means nothing to me. The other ,01% would be for self defense and hope i never use it to see how effective it is.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i guess it depends on the intended use of the ammo. Self defense, hunting or just range fun. 99.9% of my ammo is just intended for range fun so function and accuracy is all i hope for. Speed, energy etc means nothing to me. The other ,01% would be for self defense and hope i never use it to see how effective it is.
It’s simple for me, I don’t want to have to read a tag in the event I need in it in a hurry. Whatever I load should function for any intended purpose.

·
Aim true !
11,954 Posts
.380 hard cast. Goes right on through a green propane bottle. That will penetrate any clothing a bad guy will be wearing.

Reactions: fixitfred and Wag

·
Aim true !
11,954 Posts
Allaint sport pistol. 3.0 grains. I didn't chrono them though. Gun was my SW EZ.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Aim true !
11,954 Posts
Yes power pistol probably does have higher velocity. The latest Speer manual is the only one that has sport pistol data.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
.380 hard cast. Goes right on through a green propane bottle. That will penetrate any clothing a bad guy will be wearing.
I'm surprised to hear this. I shoot ball to get penetration in my 380's. In my early days I spent a lot of time in the woods doing ballistic testing. Sometimes I wondered about some of those country people that make impromptu dump sites in the woods but it did provide many targets of opportunity. I did a lot of real word penetration testing or more like over penetration testing with my 357 and 44 mag.

Then again washing machines and car doors, yes plural, didn't provide much challenge being sheet metal. It would crack bricks and concrete but not sure how much travel after. Surprisingly some small tree's were a challenge especially for a 12ga with birdshot.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
As it says, disappointed in the results with TiteGroup in 100gr 380 loads. Load recipe says 2.7-3.0gr. 3.0 should produce 912 fps. I tried 3.0 with no increase in speed. None topped 860. I am curious about the load data only showing 14,700 CUP @ 3.0gr. Isnt the max pressure like 21,500 psi?

2.9gr 2.7” barrel

2.9gr 3.6” barrel 380
Random thoughts -- I don't fully understand it but CUP does not equate to PSI and there is no direct correlation. Outside of lab equipment there is no way to accurately measure pressure in the field. I went with flattened primers and hard extraction as indicators but had no clue as to real pressures.

My limited exposure to chronographing was eye opening. Paper velocities did not match measured velocities even with similar components and guns, when used. I didn't always get what I expected with variations in velocities. Like your findings I didn't always get the expected variations in velocity with changes in powder charges.

When I first started I had a thirst for knowledge. Anecdotal information from old timers and magazine articles were my main sources of information as Al Gore didn't invent the internet yet. Reliable data was hard to come by and I would have loved to have a chronograph to experiment with but it was priced, relatively speaking, out of my reach. So was a $400 Colt Python..

Reactions: Popeye

·
Aim true !
11,954 Posts
When i started to reload. I worked loads up to the fastest velocity in the recipe. It didn't take long to realize i don't need to send every bullet fast as possible. I learned i can shoot better with the loads backed down some. And brass last longer. Guns don't take as much abuse. And powder will go a little further.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
380 might have been the first caliber I loaded with Titegroup. I got a little freaked out when eye balling the powder charge seeing how little was in there. I just shoot ball, Montana gold bullets, for carry in my LCP too. 2.7 gr sounds about right from memory. It feeds reliably and I can hit paper at 7yds point and shoot and rapid fire which is all I ask 'lil Elsea Pea to do for me. Her and her twin sister.

I have a case (1,000) of off brand 380 hollow points I bought on clearance somewhere. I don't carry it because I haven't function tested it. I need to hurry and try to sell it before the ammo crisis ends. I think I have some Federal HST's too. Again I didn't really have enough for function testing so they just got added to the heap. I mean the emergency stock pile.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Stumbled on using WW AutoComp a couple years ago, good velocity, very good accuracy. I don’t run reloads for carry/defense, my current favorite is the Sig V-Max, full mag in the gun, another in the pocket.
TiteGroup is just too fast for optimum results, IMHO.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did the Manual give length off the test barrel? Tight group is fast burning but maybe a little longer barrel would increase the speed.

·
Aim true !
11,954 Posts
With a longer barrel. You would go with a slower powder. Most .380's are short barreled. I would love to shoot .380 out of a full size like 5 inches. That is one of the fun things with load development. Finding out what powder(s) work best for the gun. If i ever get a Hi-point .380 carbine. I'll use slow powders in it. Doubt i will. I don't shoot my other Hi point carbines much.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With a longer barrel. You would go with a slower powder. Most .380's are short barreled. I would love to shoot .380 out of a full size like 5 inches. That is one of the fun things with load development. Finding out what powder(s) work best for the gun. If i ever get a Hi-point .380 carbine. I'll use slow powders in it. Doubt i will. I don't shoot my other Hi point carbines much.
Don’t you have a Baby Rock 380? What’s the barrel length on that thing? Also, just come to mind as I was typing this, they make a 380 Hi-Point carbine. I bet that would be fun to test slower powders with.

I’ve given it some thought. While I may be somewhat disappointed in the outcome of this load, my #1 objective with the 380 is keeping my wife interested in shooting. With that said, I am going to move forward with the load as it is listed above. 14,700 CUP @3.0gr is still in the safe zone (some loads @16,100) so 2.9 should be @ a safe pressure and fun for her to shoot. I have about 1,000 of these to load up. For all those that chimed in, I appreciate the voice of reason as always.

·
Last Stand on Earth
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Something gave in the powder check last night. I ran about 150 through it and felt a pop kind of like it bound, which happens from time to time. I should have checked it right then but I ran about 5 rounds through it and it felt fine. I checked the 2 that were still on the press and 1 was 1.7gr, the other was 1.0gr. The next one threw 3.2gr (which is +0.3). I took the top layer off the bin they fall into and fired them through my Springfield 911. I found another that must have had nothing in it. I didn't even hear the primer go off but it squibed and never fully exited the chamber. That must have been the one that I felt the pop. I have to take it apart and see what happened. Very irritating. meanwhile, I will go ahead and fire off the other 120 through the chrono just to make sure it was just those 3 squibs and the rest were consistent.

All of the others I checked in that run prior to the pop were all throwing exactly 2.9gr.

·
Aim true !
11,954 Posts
The baby rock is 3.75 inches.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts