National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a local gun shop in my county and a gentleman came into the shop looking to sell his Deagle, so the shop owner bought it from him and I purchased it from the shop. What was special was that it was the double barrel set the 6 inch and the 10 inch barrels. So as soon as I bought it i started thinking, this is my favorite gun so im gunna go all out on it. I started to call around and got a hold of a friend who is now threading the 10 inch barrel and moving the front sight back. Plus he is making a custom titanium can for the desert eagle 50 action express. So basically i was just wandering if i am the only one with one or if there is someone else out there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as soon as i get it back i will most certainly post some pics, but i was just wandering if i am the only one with one because that would be awesome but my guys say they will start manufacturing them.

·
Don't Tread on Me
485 Posts
It will be interesting to find out just how "suppressed" it will really be. I'm really not familiar with the Desert Eagle; do you know yet if it will be able to cycle with the suppressor attached?

Keep is posted, should be a lot of fun

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
It will be interesting to find out just how "suppressed" it will really be. I'm really not familiar with the Desert Eagle; do you know yet if it will be able to cycle with the suppressor attached?
I do not see why it would hinder the function of the firearm.

·
Banned
268 Posts
Im not really sure if it can be supressed like the other handguns out there. But why do you need it supressed?

·
Don't Tread on Me
485 Posts
I do not see why it would hinder the function of the firearm.
These sorts of systems are very sensitive to changes in mass. IE the barrel moving backwards with the slide will behave much differently with the added mass/moment of inertia of the can. It may simply translate to a slower rate of fire, which you would never notice, or it could mean a failure to cycle at all. Some of the heavier/more effective .45acp cans will cause this to happen on a 1911. You obviously don't see this problem on rifles or pistols with fixed barrels (think ruger MkII).

SO, I'm interested to see how the project works out, sounds like a lot of fun.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
The change in mass should not affect the gases pushing the slide back. If it did then gas recoil systems seen in numerous firearms would have this same problem. This is not the case.

Now, back to the OP. I would suggest against modifying the front sight, and instead use a fixed front and rear on the can. That way you do not have to adjust your POA any when using the can or firing without it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
to answer your question yes it should be a fully opperating system, that will cycle every round and should be suppressed a good deal. Now im not sure exactly on then number of decibals it will be reduced but when i talked to the suppressor maker he said you could shoot it all day without hearing protection. As far as it not cycling it should be good because the barrel of a desert eagle doesnt move at all the slide actually has like an AR bolt that goes into the back of the barrel if you look at a picture of one u can see that the slide is actually just the block at the back of the barrel meaning the barrel is completely seperate from the slide. should be a load of fun to shoot and I cant wait to get it back from the suppressor maker. As far as why am I doing this, simple because to my knowledge it is the only one suppressed and the Deagle 50 AE is my favorite gun I carry it more than any other gun I own. Not to mention it was my first handgun I ever bought. So why not

·
Don't Tread on Me
485 Posts
The change in mass should not affect the gases pushing the slide back. If it did then gas recoil systems seen in numerous firearms would have this same problem. This is not the case.

Now, back to the OP. I would suggest against modifying the front sight, and instead use a fixed front and rear on the can. That way you do not have to adjust your POA any when using the can or firing without it.
Mass is sort of a fundamental indicator of inertia, like an object's resistance to changing velocity..accelerating (in this case a slide and barrel locked together not moving and suddenly accelerating to some velocity). In most cases, adding a suppressor will more than double this mass, in effect increasing inertia. The force (pressure from exhaust gasses expanding against some surface area) is going to be constant regardless of shooting with or without the suppressor. So, with the force constant and increased inertia, the motion cannot be the same when mass changes. That doesn't mean it won't work.

One common solution is adding a doohickey that momentarily separates the mass of the suppressor from the slide & barrel while the action cycles. I think this is pretty common situation with suppressing those short recoil firearms we all know and love. Good ol' JMB.

But like I said, I know nothing about the DE..I'm really talking about short recoil systems in general and making the assumption that the DE works on the same principle.

However I do know that Newton was no fool, something more like a demigod.

Try duct-taping a brick or two to the slide of your 1911 and observe.

I'm interested in the results of this project, it sounds like a lot of fun. I take it this is a design & prototyping situation.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by NOMAC
As far as it not cycling it should be good because the barrel of a desert eagle doesnt move at all the slide actually has like an AR bolt that goes into the back of the barrel if you look at a picture of one u can see that the slide is actually just the block at the back of the barrel meaning the barrel is completely seperate from the slide.
In that case I'll shutup. Enjoy, and let us know how it works out.

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
to answer your question yes it should be a fully opperating system, that will cycle every round and should be suppressed a good deal. Now im not sure exactly on then number of decibals it will be reduced but when i talked to the suppressor maker he said you could shoot it all day without hearing protection. As far as it not cycling it should be good because the barrel of a desert eagle doesnt move at all the slide actually has like an AR bolt that goes into the back of the barrel if you look at a picture of one u can see that the slide is actually just the block at the back of the barrel meaning the barrel is completely seperate from the slide. should be a load of fun to shoot and I cant wait to get it back from the suppressor maker. As far as why am I doing this, simple because to my knowledge it is the only one suppressed and the Deagle 50 AE is my favorite gun I carry it more than any other gun I own. Not to mention it was my first handgun I ever bought. So why not
Exactly, thank you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is a very good point and idea and i will take that into consideration because when u suppress anything the accuracy wont change, but the actual point of impact will change. so that is very good idea thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts