National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya folks.

I'm an Australian, who is planning to go on a holiday to the US withing a year or so.

I'm taking with me my disabled girlfriend who (not to mince words) is a midget.

She is far to small to actually fire most guns, especially since her bones are very fragile.

So.. i'm asking if anyone knows of any firing ranges (or similar) in the US, near the following places, that possess derringers to fire? Specifically the 'purse gun' type, and nothing bigger than a .38

LA, calf
Columbus, OH
New York

Thanks ahead of time,

Sam

(Oh, and if curious, the condition is called 'osteogenesis imperfecta type 3'.. google that to get a good idea as to her size) :)

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,923 Posts
Bear in mind, the weight of the firearm absorbs recoil forces. This makes a relatively heavy firearm easier to control under recoil than a light firearm.

I understand that physical size and strength issues must be considered but a derringer, chambered in any caliber larger than .22 LR, would be a poor choice for her.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
True

You do have a point, certainly, but she literally has hands the size of an infant, and probably couldn't even grip around the grip of a normal frame handgun

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts
Sam... I know you did not specifically ask for which guns would be best in your situation but I want to recommend something.

North American Arms (NAA) is based out of Provo, Utah. They make a line of very high quality small handguns. One of their guns (I have one and sometimes when concealment is difficult for any reason I carry it) and if there is anyway you can get ahold of one while you are here, let her try it.

I'm talking about the NAA Black Widow. It is a 5 shot, single action revolver in either .22 magnum or .22 LR. It is less than 6 inches long, about 3 and 1/2 inches high, and weighes about 8 ounces. Because of the size of the grips in relation to the size of the gun recoil in .22 LR is non existant and even in .22 magnum it is not punishing.

Kel Tec makes a number of small "purse" type guns and while they are very good carry guns, they are generally not pleasant to shoot especially if recoil is a problem. I have one in .32 and even in that diminutive size it kicks like a mini mule.

I wish y'all a great trip to the US, have a good time, and if you have any other questions about guns while you are here please feel free to ask them.

Don

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Bear in mind, the weight of the firearm absorbs recoil forces. This makes a relatively heavy firearm easier to control under recoil than a light firearm.

I understand that physical size and strength issues must be considered but a derringer, chambered in any caliber larger than .22 LR, would be a poor choice for her.
As usual, Popeye makes a good point.

I have a derringer in 9mm, and it kicks worse than most ay gun I've shot.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
If she has hands the size of an infant it must make things look huge when she is holding them.
The NAA revolvers would probably look about right and would be bad to shoot.

·
Dong Tam, RSVN '69/'70
3,428 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Sam... I know you did not specifically ask for which guns would be best in your situation but I want to recommend something.

North American Arms (NAA) is based out of Provo, Utah. They make a line of very high quality small handguns. One of their guns (I have one and sometimes when concealment is difficult for any reason I carry it) and if there is anyway you can get a hold of one while you are here, let her try it.

I'm talking about the NAA Black Widow. It is a 5 shot, single action revolver in either .22 magnum or .22 LR. It is less than 6 inches long, about 3 and 1/2 inches high, and weighes about 8 ounces. Because of the size of the grips in relation to the size of the gun recoil in .22 LR is non existant and even in .22 magnum it is not punishing.
I have a NAA in .22 mag and would highly recommend it for a concealed carry weapon.:thumbsup:

My NAA drops about 6" at 50 yds there is some recoil but it is not horribly bad at all in my opinion. this weapon is every bit as effective as a 38 or 9mm to 50 feet using HP ammo. make sure you use hearing protection they are LOUD:eek6:

Shooting a 38 or 9mm derringer is worse then my full size 44 magnum Ruger Redhawk in my opinion, not something you want to do very often. Plus you have 5 shots not just 2. they are not fast to reload but the report from the first shot will likely have every bad guy running for cover anyway.:lol:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol.. that holster grip thing is so cool!

I'll look into it.

How much more kick does it have than one of those standard 'target' .22 pistols?

I shot one of those once at a target range down here, and it had practically nil kick.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i would put the recoil of a 22mag to be no more then two to three times what a 22lr target pistol dishes out, it is quite reasonable in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Hiya folks.

I'm an Australian, who is planning to go on a holiday to the US withing a year or so.

I'm taking with me my disabled girlfriend who (not to mince words) is a midget.

She is far to small to actually fire most guns, especially since her bones are very fragile.

So.. i'm asking if anyone knows of any firing ranges (or similar) in the US, near the following places, that possess derringers to fire? Specifically the 'purse gun' type, and nothing bigger than a .38

LA, calf
Columbus, OH
New York

Thanks ahead of time,

Sam

(Oh, and if curious, the condition is called 'osteogenesis imperfecta type 3'.. google that to get a good idea as to her size) :)

I have a Davis derringer in stainless steel and .22 magnum caliber. It is without doubt the worst gun I own. The trigger is horrible and I would think you would have to be within 5 to 10 feet inorder to hit someone who may wanting to cause you are your girlfriend harm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a Davis derringer in stainless steel and .22 magnum caliber. It is without doubt the worst gun I own. The trigger is horrible and I would think you would have to be within 5 to 10 feet inorder to hit someone who may wanting to cause you are your girlfriend harm.
It's just for target practice, so she can have an experience.

Not going to buy her one to tote around :p

Waay illegal over here anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only gun i think she could possibly fire (ie: actually fit her hand around the grip and reach the trigger) by herself would be a derringer.

Unless you've thought of something I haven't, i'm just asking for somewhere that has one for paper targets.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah

yeah, i looked at them, and the spring-action-flip-out thing on the (widowmaker?) was pretty cool.

Didn't see any info on shooting ranges though.

G

·
The ruger .380 would be an excellent choice and she can easily grip it. Also have you heard of the cricket .22 rifle that is an excelent rifle and is very tiny.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I will reiterate what so many others have already said. Derringer is not an easy gun to shoot. The heavy recoil makes it not fun for a woman, trust me!

Many of the "compact" handguns are small in size, but their reduced weight will make the felt recoil significantly more. A .22 target pistol is probably your best bet......

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If she has the 'condition' as specified and has hands that are literally no larger than an "infants", there are NO commonly found hand guns with a grip circumference nor length of pull that will accomodate her limitations, not even "derringers". Stick to video games.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,923 Posts
If she has the 'condition' as specified and has hands that are literally no larger than an "infants", there are NO commonly found hand guns with a grip circumference nor length of pull that will accomodate her limitations, not even "derringers". Stick to video games.
Now we are getting to the unvarnished truth.

If I may add: If there was a handgun that she could comfortably hold, because of her "condition", its recoil would do her harm!

"Video games" is a good, healthy and proper suggestion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts