National Gun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you own or carry a Derringer or similiar type pistol? I was thinking of getting one for collecting purposes. I bet some people probably carry them as a backup ( or maybe a backup for the backup :lol: ). Id personally rather have a pocket .380 as backup but think I should put a derringer on my list of "to get" guns just to say I have one. Looks hard to shoot though with that little "nub" grip. How do you like yours? and whats it like shooting one? I never had the pleasure.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I have had several over the years and find they all end up as safe queens. They are not much fun to shoot, a very close up and personal weapon.

They only thing I have at this point that could be close to a derringer is my North American Black Widow 22 LR/Mag. It does have adj sights and a nice rubber grip. Can be fun to shoot but it sits in the safe most of the time, unless a friend wants to shoot it.

My humble advice is to spend your money on something you will use. But then, I do understand that if you have never owned one then you might be driven to have one.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I've got one of these:

A Cobra in 9mm.

I agree with Sig, I hardly ever shoot it and rarely carry it.

Bought it on a whim at a gun show, less than $100.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I have two Bond Arms derringers in 45 Colt/410. I take them out and shoot em here and there. They are fun. I carry them outside if I might find a snake or something. I say get one! Bond makes good ones and offer nice holsters too.

G

·
Do any of you own or carry a Derringer or similiar type pistol? I was thinking of getting one for collecting purposes. I bet some people probably carry them as a backup ( or maybe a backup for the backup :lol: ). Id personally rather have a pocket .380 as backup but think I should put a derringer on my list of "to get" guns just to say I have one. Looks hard to shoot though with that little "nub" grip. How do you like yours? and whats it like shooting one? I never had the pleasure.

They are fine for a collection...Find yourself an old .41 cal Remington and collect away...The serve no purpose today.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Not even for snakes?

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
Problem solved! You crack me up.

·
Politically Incorrect
183 Posts
if I were headed into a highly snake-populated area, the LAST gun I would bring would be a woefully inaccurate and hard to aim gun like a derringer.

The only purpose for a derringer is that which it was designed for, shooting someone within stabbing distances.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
They are fine for a collection...Find yourself an old .41 cal Remington and collect away...The serve no purpose today.
They're good for collecting and not much else...

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
The only snake that is a danger is the one that is close to you. If you have ever shot a 410 derringer you would know that it is VERY easy to hit with at those kind of distances.

·
Registered
10 Posts
100_0307.JPG CHARTER ARMS UNDERCOVER 38 with CCI shotshell near our back door. One shot, about 3 feet away down by my feet, and forward abit.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I don't have a derringer now, but back in the late 70's I had a nickel High Standard Derringer in 22 Mag. It was a two-shot, two barrel over/under. No hammer to cock; just pull the trigger for each shot. It shot pretty well - up to 15 feet.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I don't know if a NAA Mini Revolver is considered a "derringer" or "similar type pistol" but my NAA .22 Magnum has been my EDC gun for a quarter of a century. Am I undergunned? I don't think so. I can still put 5 rounds into a 5 inch circle at 5 yards in 6 seconds, and with the advances made in modern ammunition technology, you don't want to be on the receiving end of literally anything anymore. Times have definitely changed - nowadays, as far as calibers go, excepting maybe the .25ACP and non-magnum .22 rounds, they're all good.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
in the early part of my career, i carried a High Standard 22 magnum derringer as a last ditch backup.......i appreciated it for what it was at that time.

if i chose to carry a derringer again today, it would still be as a last ditch "get off me now" belly gun behind the primary.

Not exactly a fun gun for the range unless you enjoy a lot of "up close and personal" point shooting.........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts