National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets get a little bit of a debate going.

Points to make:

Glock for a LEO is - $350.00 maybe a little bit more.....

Glock for a citizen - 550-600 Not a good deal

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm getting my brand new Glock 23 with night sights, 4 mags and a Glock tac-light for less than 500.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I paid $400 for mine during a sale back many years ago.

They have been so successful in selling Glocks that greed has set in like it always does as a product matures and they have jacked the pricing up into an area where there is much more competition with other brands.

They will not, most likely, be able to retain the % of the market that they enjoyed for so many years. When I start looking to spend $600 for a handgun I will look long and hard at all the other fine options available to me today. That's up in 1911 territory for the Taurus and RIA. You got the XD's, M&P, Taurus 24/7, EAA, CZ and other mfgs to review.

If the police departments can buy them for a $200 discount that's a big difference! For $350-400 I would buy more Glocks! I wonder how they prevent officers from buying them at that discount and then selling them to friends and relatives? I suppose they can only buy one per year or something like that!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Travis said:
From who?

The gun shop that's less than 2 miles from my house.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Zulu7 said:
Travis said:
From who?

Are you sure its new??? the mags are $16 each on sale plus the light? Dam buy a gross of them and have a giveaway!!! ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
sig232 said:
Zulu7 said:
Travis said:
From who?

Are you sure its new??? the mags are $16 each on sale plus the light? Dam buy a gross of them and have a giveaway!!! ;) ;) ;)

I'm 100% sure it's brand new, unfired. John had to order it from one of his distributers.

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another thing is that the agencies dont care about their officers looking good or having real expensive "toys".... They drive cron vics around....

They could own BMW 750I's with 14 airbags and could out run most cars...... So for me, Glock is not an option in todays gun market... At least for me of course.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Police agencies use Crown Vics for a reason. They handle amazingly beautiful at 100+ miles per hour. Even fairly large bumps, potholes and cracks don't even throw those cars around at those speeds. That and they have enough mass to push other vehicles around if need be.

A lot of US police agencies are going over to Chevy Impala's for patrol cruisers, but in a high-speed chase, they pale in comparison to the Crowns. They can't keep up and they're harder to control.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
Zulu7 said:
Police agencies use Crown Vics for a reason. They handle amazingly beautiful at 100+ miles per hour. Even fairly large bumps, potholes and cracks don't even throw those cars around at those speeds. That and they have enough mass to push other vehicles around if need be.

Not compared to Mercedes, BMW or Porsche they don't!!

Have you ever thrown a BMW or a Benz around at high speeds?!?!? I have! NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING compares in handling to German engineering!!!! Except maybe Ferrari, but that is another category all together.

Crown Vics and Chevy's are cheaper to replace, and it's LEO's duty in the US to buy American ......... EOD

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SheNine said:
Zulu7 said:

Not compared to Mercedes, BMW or Porsche they don't!!

Have you ever thrown a BMW or a Benz around at high speeds?!?!? I have! NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING compares in handling to German engineering!!!! Except maybe Ferrari, but that is another category all together.

Crown Vics and Chevy's are cheaper to replace, and it's LEO's duty in the US to buy American ......... EOD

Test drive a BMW one day. Best handeling a car can have. I can literally do 136MPH on cruise control down a country road with Hendrix BLARING, eating a hamburger, talking on the cellphone, and feel safe with my 14 air bags. You think a cop feels safe going 136 is his Crown Vic, Impala, or corvette? No to sure about that.

The point is that the agencies buy whats cheap and reliable. YES the Glock is a good gun, but NOT for a high price. I rather get a 1911 or somthing that has a little bit more technology behind it for the same price...

Are you going to go to the moon in a capsule or the atlantis? Of coruse the would both cost the same..... We KNOW the capsule got their safe but the atlantis can do it to. Thats what im basically getting at.

I know bad examples but you get the point :D

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'm not arguing in favor or against the Glock. I personally don't think it has enough safeties on it. Is it a good, proven firearm? Yes. Am I growing more favorable towards them? Yes. Am I still a 1911 guy? Hell yes.

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
I will preface my statement with an apology.... ;)

I think they're just plain ugly.............. I don't like the "block-ish" styling, and I find them incredibly uncomfortable in my girly-hands.

I know the "glockophiles" claim they're the best things since sliced bread, and I have no doubt that they are a reliable and rugged handgun. I just think there are better guns out there for the money.

jmho...... :mrgreen:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Yep, the Glocks are Ugly, but that's why people buy them. They feel sorry for the ugly duckling sitting in the gun case and just have to buy it and give it a nice home!

Their attraction was their cheap price and awesome reliability.

I have two and I can't shoot them worth a crap! ;) ;)

G

·
SheNine said:
I will preface my statement with an apology.... ;)

I think they're just plain ugly.............. I don't like the "block-ish" styling, and I find them incredibly uncomfortable in my girly-hands.

I know the "glockophiles" claim they're the best things since sliced bread, and I have no doubt that they are a reliable and rugged handgun. I just think there are better guns out there for the money.

jmho...... :mrgreen:
You just broke my heard sweetie.... :mrgreen:

BTW, I got my Glock 19 new for $479. Zulu, any possible way that you can hook me up with that deal of yours? I will even throw some money your way.

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
547 Posts
It depends what Glock U buy. A G17 or G19 is $499 at my local shop. U can get it for $469 at Houston gunshows too.

The 40 cal, 45 ACP and other calibers cost a bit more.

I have owned Glocks over the years, but got rid of my last one in Feb and do not intend to buy any others.

G

·
I just don't like how Glocks feel in my hand. I do think they are great guns but I'd rather have one that I'm going to have a good grip AND perform all the time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts