National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
My personal opinion is that a ten-yr-old needs to be holding the binoculars for another two yrs. There's more to hunting than killing an animal.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
A .243 rifle would have less recoil and more accuracy and reach.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I just bought my son a Rossi Trifecta, one gun 3 barrels, .410 .243 .22LR. $250 brand new. Might be a good combo for your son too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just bought my son a Rossi Trifecta, one gun 3 barrels, .410 .243 .22LR. $250 brand new. Might be a good combo for your son too.
+1 to that
great weapon(s) to start a young hunter on.reasoably priced and reliable as well.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
At the ripe old age of 10 I got a Marlin 336 in .30-30. That was a long time ago.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Wow, I didn't know that even existed. Thanks for mentioning it. I think I know what first guns I'll be getting for my grandkids now.

·
Banned
106 Posts
Several years ago i saw a 20 gauge at walmart for only $250. Try checking there.

And as for shells, when my dad was young, he used to remove some of the gunpowder and pellets from his shells to reduce recoil.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Youth stocks obviously fit youths better, but they are lighter and kick harder than a full size.
I'd be concerned about a 10 year old with a 12 or a 20. If it's legal you might want to consider a 410 with slugs. If you can use a rifle a 357 lever action, or a 223 is also very easy for a kid to shoot.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
youth shotgun

Check out the H&R and NEF lines of single shot youth sized SGs offered by Marlin/Remington. As somebody else offered - these are generally lighter and recoil a bit "harder" - but down loading or using anemic cartridges is a good way to WOUND and not KILL cleanly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts