National Gun Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I would love to know more about the history of this gun that hung on my dad's mantel. It is old and decorative. Between the barrels it says "London Laminated Steel Wire" and on the sides it has "W M Carlow". I included some photos if anyone can help me.

Attachments

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,084 Posts
Beautiful old black powder, muzzle loading, side by side shotgun.

·
Super Moderator
14,668 Posts
Yep, "Beautiful old black powder, muzzle loading, side by side shotgun." is an excellent description. I would only add that for its age it is in remarkable condition. The checkering is crisp and the butt stock is a nice piece of wood. It still has luster and very pronounced fiddleback. It has Damascus barrels and probably (definitely) should not be fired. The wood to metal fit is, of rite age, incredible. Normally the wood on old guns like that has begun to shrink away from the metal. Judging from the size of the barrels in comparison to your hands I would say it is likely a 10 gage.

If it were mine, I would check the length of the barrel with the ram rod on the outside form muzzle to cap nipples. Then drop the rod in each barrel and see if it goes in to your measured spot. If it comes up short then there may be a load in the barrel. We (you) can deal with that issue if it arises.

It is a beautiful firearm. Hang it back up.

Alan

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Yep, "Beautiful old black powder, muzzle loading, side by side shotgun." is an excellent description. I would only add that for its age it is in remarkable condition. The checkering is crisp and the butt stock is a nice piece of wood. It still has luster and very pronounced fiddleback. It has Damascus barrels and probably (definitely) should not be fired. The wood to metal fit is, of rite age, incredible. Normally the wood on old guns like that has begun to shrink away from the metal. Judging from the size of the barrels in comparison to your hands I would say it is likely a 10 gage.

If it were mine, I would check the length of the barrel with the ram rod on the outside form muzzle to cap nipples. Then drop the rod in each barrel and see if it goes in to your measured spot. If it comes up short then there may be a load in the barrel. We (you) can deal with that issue if it arises.

It is a beautiful firearm. Hang it back up.

Alan
This ^^^^^^^

And keep it clean and oiled!

·
Super Moderator
14,668 Posts
Don't put gun oil on the wood. Only boiled linseed oil in very small quantities (drops) and rub it in by hand. Try not to get that on the metal. Oil metal with him oil and only handle by the wood whenthrough. Ram rod can be oiled with linseed oil as well. Do not dry fire on bare nipples (lots of good advice in that statement) as ourwill deform them.

Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts