National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the unfortunate problem of living in Illinois, but the good thing is conceal and carry will be passed in the upcoming months!! I want to know what everyone suggests as a good carry gun, holster, and any other equipment that might be useful. I am looking for something thats not to small and not to big, obviously needs to be reliable, and needs to have a decent sized magazine capacity. Also I would like to know whats an ideal caliber (if any) for a carry gun.
Thanks guys and girls! Any suggestions will be helpful!

·
1,796 Posts
I carry a glock 23 majority of the time. 13+1 of 40 s&w and conceals very nicely. Of all the holsters I have the one I use most is a blackhawk soft nylon iwb that sells for about $10. Its simple and comfortable. I use the size 6 for the g23 so it drops in farther letting the grip ride right at my beltline.

Reactions: DPM

·
Irish Member
226 Posts
I also have the unfortunate satisfaction of living in Illinois. Even though I am not a Glock fan, they conceal quite nicely. Glock 23 as highboy said is a good option if you're into the poly make of weapons. I don't personally care for the poly make. I prefer metal over plastic. Just a personal choice. I am a 1911 fan and the Kimber is a very good conceal as well. If it isn't going to be an open carry weapon, you don't usually want to go with a full sized gun. Compacts and sub-compacts are ideal. If you're looking for something a bit smaller, the S&W Bodyguards are good. They have a semi-auto and a revolver version. Both very small. As I previously stated, I prefer 1911 over all. For holsters, you'll most likely want something with a strap that goes across the back or a latch/switch that holds the weapon in. Too many times someone has decided on having a plain, leather holster which gives enemies the ability to easily snag the gun from you in a matter of moments. Caliber is another good question. .40 caliber is the most common used in our area, but I prefer the .45 to the rest. "Knock-down" power seems to be the best with a .45. 9mm rounds are fast, make a smaller hole, and don't have the "knock-down" power of a .40 or a .45. In the recoil state of things, if you go with a poly gun, the smaller caliber bullet, the less the recoil. Example is if you go with a Glock, the 9mm would probably give the least amount of recoil compared to using say a Kimber 1911 in which a .45 would be just fine. I'm no expert on firearms and won't claim to be, but this is my opinion from the intel, information, stories, and personal experience I have encountered.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
There will be lot's of different advice on this question and there have been several post on this very subject I recommend you read through some of them as well. That being said: You will need to visit some gun stores and the internet for some research on what gun you may like and if you can find one that rents guns you can shoot that would be helpful.There are lot's of good guns out there and a few bad one's.
Caliber: I recommend you stay 9mm or larger. Not because a .22 or .380 will not kill someone but it's about at that point where you insure the proper amount of penetration and energy. It is always about shot placement not how big the bullet is. You have to hit a vital organ. If you hit a BG in shoulder, it won't matter if it is a .22 or a .45 acp he will still be in the fight.
Holsters I give up on, The old adage you will have 4 holsters for every gun is true and it may be higher for me, but you will have different carry situation because of your dress that will require different holsters. I love my crossbreed supertuck.
Once you decide on a gun and your rig I recommend a training class and lot's of practice shooting and drawing and look up dry fire practice.

Good luck in Illinois and I do hope you guy's win over there.

·
Irish Member
226 Posts
I agree with Larry on this one as well. The only way to know whether or not you like a gun is to shoot it. Classes are always a plus as well. And thanks for wishing us luck, Larry. We sure as heck need it.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
As stated above, shoot as many as you can to see what feels good to you. What feels good to me will not feel right to you. Me personally own several diffferent semi`s and revolvers. My everday carry is a Ruger SP101 revolver in .357. I can load with .38`s or full bang .357. I am comfortable with it and have faith in it`s operation.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I carry a glock 23 majority of the time. 13+1 of 40 s&w and conceals very nicely. Of all the holsters I have the one I use most is a blackhawk soft nylon iwb that sells for about $10. Its simple and comfortable. I use the size 6 for the g23 so it drops in farther letting the grip ride right at my beltline.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Not much more reliable than a Glock, provided you can grip one lol.
I myself love Glocks, I simply cannot hold them lol. Any of their compact models would be suitable to your needs, 9mm, .357 sig, .40 smith, and .45 ACP are all good calibers.

·
Irish Member
226 Posts
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. Not much more reliable than a Glock, provided you can grip one lol.
I myself love Glocks, I simply cannot hold them lol. Any of their compact models would be suitable to your needs, 9mm, .357 sig, .40 smith, and .45 ACP are all good calibers.
We have the same problem then, friend. My hands are much too small to comfortably hold onto them. Reliable guns though.

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
I have the unfortunate problem of living in Illinois, but the good thing is conceal and carry will be passed in the upcoming months!! I want to know what everyone suggests as a good carry gun, holster, and any other equipment that might be useful. I am looking for something thats not to small and not to big, obviously needs to be reliable, and needs to have a decent sized magazine capacity. Also I would like to know whats an ideal caliber (if any) for a carry gun.
Thanks guys and girls! Any suggestions will be helpful!
go small...........as in pocket carry. The gun will be with you 24/7. Minimal costs on holsters....no drastic clothing changes to accommodate.
Later, you can always go to a more substantial handgun for IWB/OWB, fanny pack, belly band, etc, etc as you gradually change your habits and clothing style to accommodate the larger weapon.

this way you will still have the smaller pocket weapon for those times when you just can not conceal the larger one........and the smaller pocket gun makes a good back-up weapon and can be kept in service to complement the larger gun when concealed........nothing wrong with packing two guns concealed........LEO's do it all the time.

For a pocket gun......s&w airweight snubs are my favorite. If i had to have an auto, nowadays it would be a s&w BG380. Still would like to give the Beretta nano 9mm a try.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Glock 26 or is about the perfect carry gun IMHO. It has a 10 round capacity if that should become law or you can use any of the larger capacity magazines.

·
Old Cowboy
125 Posts
I carry daily, and my firearm is a Kimber Ultra Carry in 45 ACP caliber with a set of Crimson Trace Grips installed. I use a Ted Blocker IWB type holster. In my back pocket is a Diamondback DB9, but if I'm going to be driving any distance that gun goes into an ankle holster on my left leg. I'm a former LEO, and I know police agencies can not protect the general public, so we need to be able and willing to protect ourselves. I carry only to protect myself, not to stop a bank robbery or a holdup in a store, or even a shooter in a mall. I don't want to take another person's life unless it is to keep for loosing my own, so I won't stick my nose into anyone else's business to stop a crime against them. More important than what you carry is how much you practice. At the range today I witnessed a man of about 65 years of age shooting his 40 S&W Sig 229. With every shot he fired he ducked his head because of the recoil, his shots were all over the target, he will never be proficient with a handgun until he can overcome flinching. Start shooting a 22 and practice until you can hit consistently with the gun you plan on carrying.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts