National Gun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice now I have woken up from a dead sleep to a real loud 'crashing' sound and ran immediately toward the source of the noise. It is not until I have left my bedroom or later that I remember that I have a gun on the headboard.

I can't understand this: I have had a gun on the headboard (sitting right on my bible) since I was 17yoa. I live in the country so there is not much commotion out here and as many of you know, I am veteran law enforcement. I can't understand why I am rushing off to confront the situation unarmed and without much thought for tactics. This happens in the early hours like 0400 hrs (which is when I am most asleep) These are my questions:

1. Am I still asleep and not processing what is happening?
2. Am I in a rush to confront something so that it nevers gets near my daughter?
3. Is it just instinct to attack an intruder? (I have always been VERY aggressive towards bad guys)
4. My dreams are always violent. Does this cause adrenaline when I am sleeping that overrides any common sense or caution?

Does this happen to anyone else? Any ideas on how to better prepare? I put an 870 in a hall closet and a King Cobra in a kitchen drawer just so that one is always in reach for any occassion. Thought it might come in handy for when I wake up.

Any help/advice/thoughts appreciated

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Hey SBH welcome back. Did you take your bar yet? How did you do? Should we/I call you Sir?

As for your reaction concern, could all this be because you have been studying so much, going
to sleep mentally and physically exhausted? I know the mind can play some pretty wicked tricks
and waking up in the middle of the night and reacting out of the norm, ie. you not taking your
handgun with you when you go toward the noise, leaves you feeling pretty vulnerable. If you are
still studying, are you studying up to the time you go to bed? Try knocking off an hour or two earlier?
I would say that "yes" is probably the answer to all of your questions, and that is very disconcerting.
I wish I could do or say something that would magically make all the worries go away, but all I can do
is offer my $.02 worth and tell you that if you need anything you know there are a bunch of folks on
this forum that are there for you.

Marsh

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I agree with the lady but I think your defense of your daughter plays into it to. I know when something goes bump in the night around here I am on the move (with gun) to protect her at all cost. She does have a gun in her room also and knows how to use it very well I might say. Still the father in me clears the rooms and untill I hear from her I am on full alert. :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Sounds like a natural reaction to me. Waking up out of a deep sleep with fear driving the reaction.

When I hear sounds at night I am all ears. I will come to full alert and listen for further sounds before I react. I am immediately awake, and have always been that way. Can still move very fast to grab the gun at my age. I am very lucky in that regard, no health issues.

I do think that the violent dream issue is a different matter. I wonder about you bringing your law enforcement expenences home with you and to bed at night. Sounds like you may be replaying a lot of that fear/danger stuff at night. Thats not healthy, in my opinion. Time to switch over to the legal side of the asile.

I only have violent dreams when I eat the wrong stuff before I go to bed. Then I get chased by that extra two pieces of pizza half the night.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
I have no idea how you and your fellow LEOs can compartmentalize your work and your home life. I can't completely (although I get better at it as time goes on), and my white collar work threats are all merely perceived ones. They used to give me violent dreams, also, until I think I burnt out on wrapping myself around my own axle with no tangible benefit.

Being on high alert during your shift and then being a relaxed family man must be tough to do.

I respect the hell out of guys like you.

While I hope that discussing this issue may help to shift your perspectives and reactions, I also have to say (if I may, sir) that you might consider at the upside of having a secure family environment and this forum in which to process your stuff.

I think that we all try to walk a reasonable line in life, at least within a given range.

Please be easy on yourself.

G

·
When I hear a noise in the night (Im a light sleeper) I grab my gun and flashlight and look out the different windows covering my yard then I make my way downstairs and quiet the dogs and check around. I always reach for my gun and my spotlight.

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A lot of interesting thoughts and ideas here. Thanks guys (and gals). I guess one thing I should make mention and then see what you think is this:

If the noise is very loud and sounds like it is in the house or entering it...I seem to charge to the source without tactical preparation...just a 'terminate the intrusion' mind set. (a night time twister threw a livestock feedbunk into the side of the house once and broke a living room window). I was literally waking up while standing there at the window with my fists clenched and already hell bent for a fight...althhough I think the tornado would have taken me.

A quieter or 'less alarming' noise...for lack of a better word (car door shutting, my dog barking outside, etc.) and I will wake up, be on full alert and check out the situation armed and much more tactically sound.

I have worked a some home invasion cases that were pretty brutal (usually drug collectors), but have seen the innocent party incidents both from investigations or training class examples of real cases. It has to be terrifying to those not able to repel the invaders. Do y'all spend much thought working through that scenario at your own homes? I know some give a lot of attention to scenarios of being carjacked or at a convenience store when it is robbed...but do you train to repel a violent and rapidly developing entry into your home...which is becoming more common in some places?

After reflecting on the comments posted to my original question, I think I must be reacting to these situations while still in 'Cop-Mode' and forgetting that I don't have my duty weapon/gear on when it happens. You naturally react to a disturbance by running towards it when it is near and loud.

I don't know that I will ever lose my aggressive attitude towards criminals, even now that I will be a prosecutor instead of L.E.O. "take care of the good people and stalk/harass the bad people" was always my belief. I also think I will worry about an invasion scenario now that there is no patrol unit out front of the house...kinda gonna miss that.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
SatanzBountyHunter said:
A Do y'all spend much thought working through that scenario at your own homes? I know some give a lot of attention to scenarios of being carjacked or at a convenience store when it is robbed...but do you train to repel a violent and rapidly developing entry into your home...which is becoming more common in some places?
Yes.

I keep a spare set of house keys in a plactic bag in my bedroom. The bag also has one of those break 'n glow sticks in it, so it can be easily found in the dark.

My handgun and cell phone are beside my bed. (Another advantage, cut phone lines are a wasted effort).

Although I currently use a semi-auto, I used to practise reloading my .357 with a speedloader, in the dark, over and over, at least weekly.

I also have funky sleep habits. When I wake up in the 2am-4am time frame, I look out my windows at my neighborhood before I turn on any lights.

And I remind myself that I have the home field advantage. I know the layout of my house, an invader does not. There's NO WAY they could find my bedroom before I'm waiting for them.

I do all of this, and I live alone.

BTW-My neighbors LOVE having a gun owner in the neighborhood, even though I live in ever-liberal Northern Virginia and they all have kids.

The wife next door has occassionally asked me to scout out her house if she returns to find the garage door open, although she may have forgotten to close it on her way out. Glad to do it, and I'm kinda flattered by the trust. And we do the whole house--upstairs, downstairs, basement, closets.

Folks across the street know that I carry, and I'm their first choice as a babysitter for their two boys for a couple's night out...their kids even ask when they're going out next so that I will come over & spend an evening with them. Again, flattered beyond words.

I'm thinkg of moving soon, when I do I intend to get a dog again. That should complete my securty system.

Damn right I prepare.

PS- If you have tornados AND clean undies, you're a better man than I am. I'd be in the bathroom, and NOT because it's the safest place to be!

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep a spare set of house keys in a plactic bag in my bedroom. The bag also has one of those break 'n glow sticks in it, so it can be easily found in the dark.
I am unfamiliar with this tactic... would you mind elaborating on that a little?

My handgun and cell phone are beside my bed. (Another advantage, cut phone lines are a wasted effort).
I have gone back and forth about that...the cell phone or the house phone...punching 9-1-1 on the house phone will automatically provided your address to L.E even if you aren't able to talk into it...but the cell phone would allow you to exit the house if necessary, even get into a vehicle without ever breaking communcation. I have tried to weigh the chances of having the phone line being cut...at first I thought only an assassin would do that...but have heard of some people doing it because they think it will disable the home security system.

I'm thinkg of moving soon, when I do I intend to get a dog again. That should complete my securty system.
Staying in a southern state hopefully? I thought I read the other day that Fairfax Co. was close to tops in the amount if rich people living there? Boxer? Doberman?

PS- If you have tornados AND clean undies, you're a better man than I am. I'd be in the bathroom, and NOT because it's the safest place to be!
It was one of those that you never hear until it breaks something, or you go out in the morning and see trees uprooted and a grain bin tore up about 200 yards away from the house.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
SatanzBountyHunter said:
I am unfamiliar with this tactic... would you mind elaborating on that a little?
I saw this idea posted elsewhere in this group. The idea is that you can throw your houserkeys out to LEO to give them easy entry. If your issue is at night (most likely), break the stick so the keys can be found in the dark. Pretty clever, huh? Wish I had thought of it.

SatanzBountyHunter said:
I have gone back and forth about that...the cell phone or the house phone...punching 9-1-1 on the house phone will automatically provided your address to L.E even if you aren't able to talk into it...but the cell phone would allow you to exit the house if necessary, even get into a vehicle without ever breaking communcation.
Hadn't thought of that. I guess I could do both--call on the land line, state that I'm calling again on the cell, then lay the land line phone down. I guess it would depend on the situation.

SatanzBountyHunter said:
Staying in a southern state hopefully? I thought I read the other day that Fairfax Co. was close to tops in the amount if rich people living there? Boxer? Doberman?
Yeh, I'll stay in the Mid Atlantic I think, definitely south of here. Sure we got rich people. If you want to see the most self-important people in the world, come by and visit. Regarding the dog, I've always liked terriers. Had a pure bred fox terrier as a kid (hell on wheels) and a mix breed terrier as an adult (she lived to be 19).

SatanzBountyHunter said:
[quote:24062]PS- If you have tornados AND clean undies, you're a better man than I am. I'd be in the bathroom, and NOT because it's the safest place to be!
It was one of those that you never hear until it breaks something, or you go out in the morning and see trees uprooted and a grain bin tore up about 200 yards away from the house.
[/quote:24062]

Uh, did I mention that I would be staying in the south?

G

·
I'm late at reading this thread. But I wanted to chime in.
This is the way I see it:
reaching for a weapon when you believe something's up requires conscious thought. If one is jostled awake by a LOUD, startling, crashing noise that demands immediate attention, the SNS kicks in and gets you ready to fight or flee. The fight/flight response isn't about thinking logically, but processing and acting rapidly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts