National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a gift card from my wife and bought a Daisy Red Ryder just for nostalgia. (I wore out two of them as a kid), I'm 73 now. My friends and family had a great time shooting it off my porch until it broke. (The new ones are made in China). I took it apart and all the works were plastic and it had destroyed itself. I remember driving by the factory in Arkansas years ago, It was the size of a large garage. Shame on Daisy for destroying something as American as apple pie and the flag for a few dollars profit.

·
Aim true !
11,375 Posts
Cool. It's a shame how manufacturing got farmed out over seas.

·
AZHerper
4,129 Posts
I kind of disagree. I went through more the one Daisy Red Ryder when I was a kid (I'm 80 now). Daisy, like all manufacturers, has to make a profit on what they sell. The contemporary realities rather dictate the use of plastic and non-traditional materials if you want to make something that's affordable for parents to buy for kids. So, in contrast to your opinion, I say kudos to Daisy for not letting the Daisy Red Ryder become a memory (a fond one) into the fading past.

·
Registered
278 Posts

My present day 'Red Ryder' carbine... .Rossi R92 in .357RM.

The original Daisy RR I owned MANY years ago was a pretty cool lil' shooter, but my personal fav was the pump action model... It seemed somewhat more powerful, and the bb's didn't rattle up n' down the 'barrel'. The pump had a spring loaded tube mag, that kept it quiet and it didn't need to be muzzle up, when cocking/charging.

I still have a Daisy, but it's a .22LR.

FLc

·
AZHerper
4,129 Posts
I have a .357 Rossi Ranch Hand which is a handgun with a 12-inch barrel based on the Rossi Model 92 rifle. I had to put on a taller front sight because Rossi left the Model 92 sight on the Ranch Hand and they shoot high. I had a smith put on a TruGlo 0.530 front sight which fixed it. Here's a pic of the Ranch Hand from Bud's Gun Shop:

·
5,082 Posts
I kind of disagree. I went through mo<script id="gpt-impl-0.203757121784652" src="https://securepubads.g.doubleclick.net/gpt/pubads_impl_119.js"></script>re the one Daisy Red Ryder when I was a kid (I'm 80 now). Daisy, like all manufacturers, has to make a profit on what they sell. The contemporary realities rather dictate the use of plastic and non-traditional materials if you want to make something that's affordable for parents to buy for kids. So, in contrast to your opinion, I say kudos to Daisy for not letting the Daisy Red Ryder become a memory (a fond one) into the fading past.
I agree. I have heard there wouldn't even still be repro knock off, of the Red Ryder if it wasn't for the popularity of the movie. I know there "was" a website where you could by one as from the movie, and also even a leg lamp, like his father got. I believe, this repro had a compass in the stock, which I believe Daisy didn't offer in original bb Red Ryders. ?

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
True they are made in china now. But as gvladeg1 stated, at least it's not history.
Our two boys started with them a few years ago, and they still are working. I think
everyone had one. Heck, when the boys get them out to shoot(when they're not
shooting 9 or 22) I even join them. VERY short LOP, but hey, it's fun anyway.
The classics will never die, at least I hope not.

·
Registered
371 Posts

My present day 'Red Ryder' carbine... .Rossi R92 in .357RM.

The original Daisy RR I owned MANY years ago was a pretty cool lil' shooter, but my personal fav was the pump action model... It seemed somewhat more powerful, and the bb's didn't rattle up n' down the 'barrel'. The pump had a spring loaded tube mag, that kept it quiet and it didn't need to be muzzle up, when cocking/charging.
I still have a Daisy, but it's a .22LR.
FLc
Was this the pump model you're referring to?

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Dais...582214710235686&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231

I still have my Daisy model 25 that I got for Christmas in 1962.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts