National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very old H&R Revolver that i have been rebuilding as a fun project. I am almost ready to test fire, but I am curious about the endshake travel on this cylinder. To explain the question best, I recorded a video so you can see how the cylinder gap reacts when the trigger is pulled:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I'm not sure I would test fire it until I have a knowledgeable gunsmith look at it. When you push the cylinder back, the flash gap (which should be around .006) is excessive. That would allow unburned & burning powder & other particles to shoot out the sides at high velocity. If you do decide to fire it, I'd make sure no one is standing next to you.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
31,992 Posts
The H&R .32 revolver was made sometime around the end of the 19th century. Your problem is the gun and parts you acquired are not built to the same specifications. They are close, thus both being covered by the same patent. Measure the distance from the center (or edge) of the pivot hole to the cylinder end of the barrel on both barrels. I suspect the original barrel's measurement will be shorter. And/or possibly your acquired cylinder is shorter than the original.

IMHO, the pistol in it current configuration is not safe to shoot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.