National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I’m getting out more recently, per my plan, to shoot and enjoy my collection of firearms—I‘ve also been significantly reducing the number I own. I still acquire the occasional gun via trade or purchase but my acquisition pace has slowed.

My adult children and I have gone through my collection to identify the “keepers”.

I’m down about 25% overall with another 25% reduction contemplated in the next few months. I found an out-of-state LGS who is very good at helping me sell these guns, via consignment, with a reasonably small consignment fee. He also sends me shipping labels to make it easy to ship the firearms to him.

Anyone else reducing your holdings as you age? So far… I have no seller‘s remorse. I enjoyed them all while I had them, but having them sit idle in the safe didn’t make much sense.

·
Registered
981 Posts
While I’m getting out more recently, per my plan, to shoot and enjoy my collection of firearms—I‘ve also been significantly reducing the number I own. I still acquire the occasional gun via trade or purchase but my acquisition pace has slowed.

My adult children and I have gone through my collection to identify the “keepers”.

I’m down about 25% overall with another 25% reduction contemplated in the next few months. I found an out-of-state LGS who is very good at helping me sell these guns, via consignment, with a reasonably small consignment fee. He also sends me shipping labels to make it easy to ship the firearms to him.

Anyone else reducing your holdings as you age? So far… I have no sellers remorse. I enjoyed them all while I had them, but having them sit idle in the safe didn’t make much sense.
So, you've been buying one a day for how many years? I'm guessing you're down to 5 to 6 thousand now. You should be well protected. (y)

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
I've been reducing my gun hoard, cache or whatever you want to call it too.......Hahah, just kidding, anyone want to buy a bridge?

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Sold off all my magnum hunting rifles years ago decided that I didn't need any modern hunting rifles above 30-06

·
Super Moderator
14,896 Posts
I don't have any kids and my friends are all the same age as I am so I don't know who to leave any guns to. I should probably sell them some time in the next few years.

--Wag--

·
Live Free
4,425 Posts
I have been intentionally eliminating polymer framed guns; just a few left now that I do not wish to be done with. I am left with a tidy collection of steel and alloy framed handguns which I am quite satisfied with. Mostly just wood and steel among my long guns now; yeah, that too makes me happy!

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
31,992 Posts
I don't have any kids and my friends are all the same age as I am so I don't know who to leave any guns to. I should probably sell them some time in the next few years.

--Wag--

If you are looking for volunteers .....
Yellow Font Circle Event Macro photography

🤣

·
Registered
981 Posts
I have been intentionally eliminating polymer framed guns; just a few left now that I do not wish to be done with. I am left with a tidy collection of steel and alloy framed handguns which I am quite satisfied with. Mostly just wood and steel among my long guns now; yeah, that too makes me happy!
I remember playing with polymer guns when playing cowboys and Indians and playing war as we killed all the Japs with them. We didn't worry too much about political correctness then either. I didn't even know what the term meant. The guns just broke and we got new ones. Still don't like plastic guns.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
31,992 Posts
It's likely gonna be a while. Are you going to live that long or are you and old fart like the rest of us?!

--Wag--
Considering I'm (just guessing) older than you, I'll probably get to that shooting range in the sky before you do.
Gas Font Electric blue Circle Symbol

Reactions: Wag

·
Last Stand on Earth
6,039 Posts
I’m there with you. Reduced my collection by 25% since August. Everytime I sell a bunch off, I buy a bunch more. I was buying 4-5 a month earlier this year. I’ve only bought 3 or 4 in the last 2 months. I am hoping to slow the roll next year. It might be possible since I’m fairly content with what I have at the moment. My focus has greatly narrowed this year. While there is still room for new toys, it’s harder to find something that “fits” in the collection. Makes telling myself “No”, a bit easier to do. I still might throw a few in the upcoming auction, have to see. I still have several shotguns that haven’t been fired. At least 6 ARs I haven’t fired.

·
Super Moderator
14,896 Posts
Considering I'm (just guessing) older than you, I'll probably get to that shooting range in the sky before you do. View attachment 143515
We'll all get there eventually and have a beer. At that point, I won't be the least bit concerned about what happens to my guns. Or anything else, for that matter. :)

--Wag--

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
We'll all get there eventually and have a beer. At that point, I won't be the least bit concerned about what happens to my guns. Or anything else, for that matter. :)

--Wag--
We can't take them with us? Don't you think there might be some ranges there after we leave this miserable rock?
Oh and can I switch my beer for bourbon?

·
Super Moderator
14,896 Posts
We can't take them with us? Don't you think there might be some ranges there after we leave this miserable rock?
Oh and can I switch my beer for bourbon?
No, we have to use THEIR guns. Never requires cleaning. Always gets the bullseye. No FTE's, FTF's or stovepipes. Ammo always available at no cost. Same with reloading and casting supplies.

:)

--Wag--

·
Registered
Yes have some
34 Posts

Anyone else reducing your holdings as you age? So far… I have no seller‘s remorse. I enjoyed them all while I had them, but having them sit idle in the safe didn’t make much sense.
I did the same thing several years back, gave some to my sons and others I sold. I did get a couple of new ones in the last couple of years. However, I am still about 20% of my original ownership.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts