National Gun Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT resident question

3K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  QuickdrawMcgraw 
#1 ·
I have a question and I don’t know where to ask it. I’m new here. First message. I’m not a gun person and do not own any. I live in CT and am a caregiver for my elderly parents.

The gun law forum didn’t look very active so I am making this comment here.

This virus thing has me concerned.

I don’t want to get into a rant about the CT laws but I went to the gun store yesterday to purchase a shotgun and was told CT requires a class and it takes the state police 2 months to process the application. Blew me away.

Does anyone know the laws for CT residents for purchasing one as a non resident out of state? I’ve looked at the CT state government page and the ATF page and while I found some information, it seems to be conflicting. It looks like in some states non residents can purchase a shotgun, but for CT residents without a license from CT, there appears to be a two week waiting period. That would be a lot better than two months. If this thing turns out to be a major issue in the US, I doubt the CT state police will prioritize these applications. They will be busy doing other things.

Are there any gun shop owners in states like Pennsylvania who know the answer to this? Or know someone who might? Or CT residents who have faced the same problem? Otherwise I’m going to look at the Mossberg dealer list in different states and just start calling.

Thank you for your help and I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

Mike

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you, Jim. I have found the name of a guy from a local 2A advocacy group who will know the laws in and out. I’m going to email him now.

This makes me sick. I live 20 miles from New Haven. My fault for not wanting one around here just in case..

Take care and be safe in the event tshtf.

#9 · (Edited)
If the law allows it, then of course I would do it! Who wouldn’t do that to protect their family when we are facing a possible global pandemic?

I wanted to know what the law was. I know some states allow non residents to come and purchases firearms. That’s all I was asking. Since this place is a resource for gun owners, I thought this might be a good place where people would know the answer on the off chance CT allows it. I haven’t even had a speeding ticket since 1989. I am law abiding, which is why I first went to a gun store, asked the question here and then sent an email to the CCDL. I don’t want to look something up on the internet that says I can, get in the car and drive all of the way to WV or PA or some other state and then discover they can’t do it because I am a resident of the CSSR.

Edit: I’m sorry if I sounded defensive. This whole topic is stressing me out a little bit to be perfectly honest.

#5 ·
I knew CT was strict but i had no idea you needed a class and state police permission to buy a simple shotgun.

#11 ·
It gets worse. I live in a town that is in violation of state law and requires a permission slip from 3 unrelated people at 3 different addresses within a certain mile radius of my house just to **submit** a concealed handgun permit to my towns police department to process. I discovered this when I took the NRA class at a large gun store in my state. After they check the permission slips they forward it to the state police.

Now as a matter of principle, I refuse to ask my neighbors for permission to buy and possess something that should be my constitutional right to own. It’s also none of my neighbors business whether or not I own a firearm. I don’t know if they own them. In addition, if someone came to me and asked my permission, I wouldn’t give it. That’s the beauty of this, it’s a win-win for the police because it is guaranteed to prevent people from applying for permits.

My barber is the most popular guy in town. He knows everyone. He wanted to buy a handgun because he had to take his father to dialysis in New Haven at night and he felt unsafe. He told me he had trouble finding people to sign his permission slip.

Next I contacted the NRA but they failed to even reply. I proceeded to email a real nice guy who was the then head of the CCDL, which is a local 2A advocacy group. He and I exchanged several emails and he explained my towns police department was intentionally violating state law. He sent them a list of the statutes they were violating in the hopes of them self correcting, which they had done a few times in the past. They didn’t. He then advised me to not complain too vigorously at the police station because it could open me up for harassment. I gave up and forgot about it.

So yesterday when I learned that I needed both a class and a license that takes 2 months to be processed, I did learn one thing. Shotgun licenses go through the state police, so apparently people in my town can apply for them and will be allowed to have one if approved. Maybe I will sign up for the class this week but I don’t know how long they last etc. In the event this thing in China infects a large number of people in the US it will be too late.

#6 ·
Yes, background check and safety training required to purchase any firearm in Connecticut.

The advice about an Attorney familiar with the laws might be especially helpful for a non-resident.

Wikipedia had a pretty good fly by of the regulations as the author understood the laws and they on the surface seem to be in agreement with the process described by the gun store.

Interestingly, FFL required for private sales as well. (Again, safety training and background check.)

Your thought about your home state, being a non-resident, you would be wise to get dependable advice. Violating a gun law often is a felony disqualifying you from gun ownership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Welcome Mike. You are in a very blue state. This is what the democrats are trying to do and a whole lot more. They want all of the control. Unarmed people are easier to control, just ask the dictators of the world.
I’m in New Jersey. It’s almost as tough to buy a long gun the first time here too. Handguns are even tougher. For a first time buyer here you have to apply for a FOID. “A Firearms ID card. This requires a state police check, a mental health background check, a local police check and 2 letters of character from non relitives. This will require you to get finger printed at your expense. Submit the required documentation and pay $30. and wait about 3 months and if you pass you will get a card to buy as many long guns as you want. Now you go to the local gun store and pick out a nice shotgun. Present your card, drivers license and fill out 3 forms. The dealer will call in the instant (LOL! ) background check which can go from 10 minutes to 3 days depending on the backlog. It’s easy to get a gun. Right?
A handgun is even more restrictive and ridiculous. Criminals have no problem getting them. This is because every gun law only effects law abiding gun owners. Gun laws only work if you’re not a criminal. Gun owners are generally the most law abiding people you’ll ever know.

#10 ·
This is what happens when you vote Democrats into office. Here in NC, we can walk in, pick out, pay for and walk out with a firearm ..... all on the same day.

#15 · (Edited)
You didn't respond to my post. If you wanted to do any good for 2nd Amendment rights in Connecticut you would of followed whats going on. Kind of reminds me of the … well it doesn't have no effect me people so I wont pay attention, then when it does - they want to rant n say what happened. These new illegal and un Constitutional laws pass (shoved down the throats of the People - why? feelings) in 2013 and that's when we needed people at the hearings or even to write / email the politicians.

To keep it simple, going through FFL to FFL and if you have no permission permit (license) to purchase long guns, then you can not pick up the shotgun from the Connecticut FFL.

The long gun class takes 14 hours to complete, then from what I understand up to and eight week wait for the permit. I've seen people get the permit to purchase long guns within two weeks though, your mileage may vary. Longer then eight weeks, file for an appeal.

No permit to purchase ammunition needed when you have either. Have a long gun or pistol or revolver and no permit for either then you need the permit (license) to purchase ammunition.

non Connecticut residents without non-res permits can not purchase firearms or ammunition. Even with a non res pistol permit you can not purchase a pistol or revolver that day and take it home - FFl to FFl. Yet rifles and shot guns, yes though only if its legal in their state to do.

You're best off getting your permit to carry pistol and revolvers. Four to eight hour course and you can purchase long guns, ammunition, pistols, revolvers, and ammunition. Still eight week wait.

The town is not allowed to request anything other then what the state wants and we don't have a concealed handgun permit. We have - State Permit To Carry Pistols And Revolvers. Connecticut is an open carry state.

Our laws do not differentiate between open or concealed carry.

Contact Connecticut Carry. In the past I have seen Connecticut Carry take action and his results were good.

The class certificate does not expire in Connecticut either. So if you did take the required firearm safety course for Connecticut it still is good.

What "gun law forum" did you go on? Never heard of a Connecticut "gun law forum"?

Reactions: Wag and Popeye
#17 · (Edited)
You didn't respond to my post. If you wanted to do any good for 2nd Amendment rights in
Thank you for the detailed information, but you’re wrong. I did reply to your comment. I believe it was the second one I replied to.

Also thank you for blaming all of the problems of this state on a lifelong republican who has never voted democrat once in his entire life (I’m 50 and have voted in every local and national election since I was 18) with the exception of 2007 primary, when I temporarily changed to an independent so I could throw a vote against Obama by holding my nose and giving one to The Beast.

It’s absolutely none of your business but Ive actually been a little bit busy with a serious health problem since around the time I took the class. I have severe nerve pain in my face and it caused me to have to quit my job and eventually move home with my family. In the ensuing years my parents started to decline and I’ve become a caregiver. Think root canal level pain that can only be controlled by high doses of anti seizure medications that cause concentration issues, at least until it stops working. I haven’t even exercised in 5 years with exception of 15 mins on a treadmill 5x a week. I have been laid up for 5 straight years. My life has been destroyed. Coincidentally I was put on a brand new biologic for a different problem last September and it has cured me. I am going back to work. I’m so excited.

You have come at me awfully hard. I was right, this was a great resource to ask questions, but I think this will be my last comment.

Thank everyone for all of your help, including you.

Also, thank you for driving me away. I fully expect you to try to save face by using your “super” moderator status to delete this message.

#16 ·
You can't take one aspect of someones life and expect them to base life changing decisions on it but this is a gun forum. My advice is to move to a gun friendlier state. The air seems fresher and the sun shines brighter knowing that you can exercise your right to keep and bear arms.

I don't meet a lot of Connecticut Yankee's although last night I had taco's with a girl from there. It was around maybe 40° and she wanted to eat outside. I can usually take the cold but it seemed too uncomfortable for me. She had a frozen margarita on top of it all. anyway as usual I digress.

I seem to meet quite a few transplants from Jersey for some reason. They marvel at the lack of tolls and taxes. Their surprised at the easy availability of obtaining guns. Most are not gun people and don't know many but go out and buy one just because it's easy and they can.

My son's ex-fiance's mother from Jersey wanted me to take her shooting. They moved to Kennesaw, GA. I reminded them that every head of household was required to maintain a gun with ammo by law.

#18 ·
Fixitfred
“I seem to meet quite a few transplants from Jersey for some reason. They marvel at the lack of tolls and taxes. Their surprised at the easy availability of obtaining guns. Most are not gun people and don't know many but go out and buy one just because it's easy and they can”
They purposely make it difficult to buy a gun so that people just give up. We only have 2% of our population in NJ that even hunt. Guns are getting to be a rarity in the entire population unless your a thug from one of our many DemocRat cities. We also pay the highest taxes in the country. I look at houses in SC and when I see the taxes are $900. A year and I’m paying $15,000. For a similar house it blows my mind.

#19 ·
If I thought the moderators were deleting postings of opposing views I would leave the forum. One mod seemed to be a little heavy handed but he's been absent for quite a while. Hope all is well with him but glad he's not here. I like forums with varied viewpoints and a good debate and exchange of ideas can be fun. We just need to remember not to cross the line. I've seen a lot of dancing on the line as people get heated but there are only a few that cross it. You seemed to be dancing on this side. Try not to take things personal. We all can't agree on everything.

Reactions: Wag
#20 ·
My next post after advising you to leave would be to stay and fight. Some feel they can't leave for whatever reason and some reasons in my opinion are not valid and easily overcome but I don't make that decision for anybody. You seem to be passionate in your views and little stubborn. Key ingredients in a fighter for constitutional rights.

#28 ·
Thank you for your compliment. I am passionate and angry about my rights. I have to stay in CT for the time being because my parents are older and I can’t abandon them. I have to get back to my life because I’m healthy again, but you know, they need me around so I am here for the time being. After they are gone im moving south, somewhere cheaper. I’m not spending $15k in state and property taxes anymore.

Theres was one thing I was very passionate about in 2002 and after two trips to DC to meet with the staffs of my two senators and my representative, through a lot of letters, phone calls, and persistence I was able to meet personally with my two senators - Lieberman and the loathsome Dodd, as well as Rosa De Lauro. It didn’t make any difference for my cause but I tried.

Believe it or not, I have a tangential personal connection with the current governor of CT. I have met him. I worked for years for his first cousin (or sister or sister in law, can’t remember) and her husband who ran a small business in Oklahoma. One summer their kids went on vacation to stay with Ned in CT and I took them to the airport to get on Lamont’s private jet and I picked them up too. I have met him twice. I am going to call my old boss and ask her for a personal favor and see if she will send a letter to him on my behalf. Worth a try. It won’t do a thing for this, but someone needs to get it through these people that most of these restrictions are onerous and harmful.

#22 ·
People who come here and seam to be in a hurry. To buy a firearm raises my suspicions. And now you are getting all defensive over a post a moderator made from your own state, Who is a well respected member here. And im sure knows his states laws very well and any organizations that are there. Calm down if your intentions are good. Let folks help where they can. I wouldn't get in a panic over the virus either, It will pass.

#23 ·
Oh yea my other post had to do with the pupu'ing of the virus. You never know what might set something off. Certain things happen and a chain of events occurring ending who knows where. The zombie apocalypse is going to get started somehow. Preparing for the end of the world can never be a bad thing. It become detrimental when your entire focus is on that one thing. Food and water stores in preparation for doomsday can be used in case of natural disaster. A shotgun bought to fend off corona virus carriers can also be used to fend off thugs and looters. It can also be used by
a well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Reactions: Coalcracker
#30 ·
Dude we were always cool. I had no issue just pointing things out. We're cool. Your certification from the NRA pistol course or from an approved state firearms safety course does not expire in Connecticut. You're going to spend money on another class spend 14 hours in it only to get an eligibility certificate to purchase long guns. You still need to go through a back ground check and the other steps. I still would opt for your pistol permit, you already done the course

If you call or email Rich at CT Carry, he can possibly help you out with Bridgeport Police and them wanting the three letters. He's talked to them a few times in the past not just with this though with other issues with success. He has even helped me with two of my students in Wallingford.

The question would be with high doses of seizure medication, though you from what I understand are off of now. Still I'm going to look into it tomorrow just for my own benefit of knowing.

Reactions: fixitfred
#35 ·
Ok this thread I believe is not going to go further. Things r good, we have a new member who will be looking for more information on first firearms. My only advice to that right now is for him to take his NRA completion certificate with him to a range whivh rents firearms. Try a few out and go from there. Call the range first and see if they would sccept the NRA cert to shoot at their range. Some I have been to would, others you will need a person with a permit.

Reactions: Coalcracker
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.