National Gun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My name is Brian. I'm 14 years old and am involved in competition shooting as well as 4H shooting. I personally own a CZ 452 Trainer and a CZ 512 .22lr. I have a funny dilemma. I am right handed (and am not changing to left馃槫) but left eye dominant. Now, I know thousands of people have this problem but the added factor is I can not close my left eye for the life of me. Is there any way I could shoot right handed and left eye open with a better technique. I would also prefer not to have a patch because (eventually) I could not wear a patch while defending myself. But I can shoot a pistol just fine due to the draw-chest 1-move under my left eye- push out technique.
Thank You
All options open (sorta馃槃)

Ancient Gaseous Emanation
Tape your dominant eye closed while rifle shooting. Over time the tape will become unnecessary.

Reactions: Ziggidy

Registered
After twice suffering the detaching and reattaching of the retina in my right eye, my vision there is kinda blurry and it's useless even with a scope. So I am now left-eye dominant by default. My solution was to mount all my scopes on high bases or in tall rings so I can lay my head across the buttstock bringing my left eye in line with the crosshairs. Works for me - I can still shoot surprisingly well despite the awkwardness. Obviously, I now keep to low recoil calibers, .308 being tops.

I doubt that my improvisation will work well with open sights, mounted low as they usually are. But I'm sure with a little money, a gunsmith will find a way to adapt workable open sights to just about anything. Good luck.

Registered
I am the same way and my father was smart enough that he taught early on to shoot Left with a rifle and right with a hand gun. It really came natural at an early age and is ingrained in me. He also was good enough to teach me to fish left handed which in my Bass fishing tournament time help and made me some money over the years.

My suggestion is to try it. Resistance is futile. LOL

land of the free so far.
I'm a well a few years older than you and I have the same dealieo but over time i got use to it and i shoot great with my scoped .270 and iron sights on my other guns. i tried what you tried but it didn't work :)

Registered
Learn to shoot with both eyes open.
Offset mounts.

On a Search For Truth

On a Search For Truth
I am cross-eye dominate too. But, I have been training to be accurate with both right and left handed stance(pistol, I don't shoot rifles to often). So as the others say, give it a try!

What competitions do you do?

Super Moderator
Eye patch.

--Wag--

Reactions: Popeye
1 - 10 of 10 Posts