National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I felt like a dumpster diver while at the range. Nobody was in the place so I went over to the brass barrel and pulled out all the 45 acp, 38 spc, 40 cal and 9mm I could find. I reload them all and realize that if you cut the cost of brass out of the equation your can shoot for a song!

Should I feel guilty or did I do good??

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
sig232 said:
Don't feel guilty at all. I'm a Trapshooter. We are total scroungers from way back. I once fell into a 55 gallon barrel head first scrounging for empty 12 gauge boxes. Yep, cardboard boxes. They cost too much to buy! I had to stop at a drugstore for some Ben-Gay on the way home from a trapshoot once because my back was sore from bending down picking up empties all day. (My club didn't mind as long as the field was dead, and no one was shooting). I even knew a guy who would pick up wads that had been shot, and brought them home and washed them, then reloaded them! Trapshooters brag about how cheap they can reload for. You will see more and more of this as component prices climb. I chase down every spent case. I don't care how long I have to look for it. I'll find it, just give me time. The older I get the cheaper I get, and the longer I'll look. It doesn't bother me at all to spend $3,000.00 on a nice, new Browning O/U, or $2,000.00 for a new Weatherby Mark V DeLuxe. But lose one single brass case, and my day is ruined! Bill T.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
billt said:
sig232 said:
Don't feel guilty at all. I'm a Trapshooter. We are total scroungers from way back. I once fell into a 55 gallon barrel head first scrounging for empty 12 gauge boxes. Yep, cardboard boxes. They cost too much to buy! I had to stop at a drugstore for some Ben-Gay on the way home from a trapshoot once because my back was sore from bending down picking up empties all day. (My club didn't mind as long as the field was dead, and no one was shooting). I even knew a guy who would pick up wads that had been shot, and brought them home and washed them, then reloaded them! Trapshooters brag about how cheap they can reload for. You will see more and more of this as component prices climb. I chase down every spent case. I don't care how long I have to look for it. I'll find it, just give me time. The older I get the cheaper I get, and the longer I'll look. It doesn't bother me at all to spend $3,000.00 on a nice, new Browning O/U, or $2,000.00 for a new Weatherby Mark V DeLuxe. But lose one single brass case, and my day is ruined! Bill T.
That is funny as hell! LOL! I can visualize that picture, feet sticking out and blood running to the head! :lol: :lol: :lol:

G

·
I take home the bucket of brass from the pistol range where I shoot.I sort it out, keep what I use and bring the rest back to the range for other members that use it. When I leave it boxed sitting in the club house it does not last long. Last Sunday I got there for a Turkey Shoot about the same time as another member, he had agrocery bag of brass and bullets,44 mag he was leaving, I took it home.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
OK, it's confession time...My name is Rick and I'm a Brassaholic. I've been a Brassaholic for many years and I've never been in denial. It's just that it's never been as profitable as it is right now. I have been mapping out all the "illicit" shooting spots in the desert for the past 15+ yrs and now that most of my shooting is done at the range, I get there early and pick up brass on one end, then I shoot. Then I migrate over to the other end and collect more brass. I often shoot for an hour and a half and pick up brass for two hours.

Used to be that I was kind of a brass snob. I would not pick up 9mm, .380, .32 or .25 because I don't reload them. Same with .22 RF. No more. I have found that the metal recycle dude has no problem with those calibers and the cash made from that helps defray the cost of my shooting.

If lead goes up just a little more, I'll start bringing my collender and will be sifting the dirt in the berms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts