National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, i've been going to a lot of gun shows with my dad and im starting to take a liking to revolvers. I dont know much about them. I know a little history. I know how to work them, but what make (Ruger, S&W, Taurus...) is the best quality. im looking for the cheapest revolver that isnt a piece of crap. Preferably a .45 colt, but if anyone knows of a good cheap revolver bigger than a .22, hit me up.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I would give some thought to at 38 special made by Charter Arms or Rossi, If money is a big factor.

I like the Smith & Wesson revolvers a lot and you can find a lot of good used ones around. If you were to find one in 357 mag you have a choice of a light weight 38 special load which is cheap to shoot or the 357 mag which is a barn burner for defense or light hunting, provided you have a longer barrel model.

The 45 LC is a large heavy revolver and its not inexpensive to fire or small enough to pack as a carry gun. Not a good choice to start with.

The best choice for a starting revolver would be a 22 Long Rifle, Ruger single six. Lots of them around and they are inexpensive to shoot. Start your collection with that little revolver and move on up as you get more proficient.

G

·
I have a .22 pistol and rifle and also a shotgun with the folding overhead butt stock and pistol forearm grip.

What i want is a big, pretty, bad gun. I like the older style of revolvers. I've been looking at Uberti's. The new style is fine, but nothing's more bad than a .45 colt peacemaker. .357 and .38 is fine too, as long as it looks good and fires great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMHO, the best value in a great, reliable, revolver is none other than the Ruger GP100. The best .357 Mag for the money on the market.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
+1 for the GP100

Used ones are relatively inexpensive.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I have a .22 pistol and rifle and also a shotgun with the folding overhead butt stock and pistol forearm grip.

What i want is a big, pretty, bad gun. I like the older style of revolvers. I've been looking at Uberti's. The new style is fine, but nothing's more bad than a .45 colt peacemaker. .357 and .38 is fine too, as long as it looks good and fires great.
For the money I like the ruger 45 LC a lot. I have the one with the polished SS finish and the Bisley grip. Its a sweet machine.

The Colt single action army is one beautiful revolver but the cost is double. Plus its not nearly as strong, so you can't hotrod the ammo for shootin bad guys.

Umberti makes fine guns too. Buts lets keep the money in America please!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I see on Rugers website that they now offer the Redhawk in 45 LC. That might be fun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm also a big Ruger fan. I've had several and have yet to have a single problem. Since you're looking for less expensive, I've also had good luck with used S&W revolvers. In my experience, I've noticed S&W's seem to have smoother actions, but the Rugers are built like a bank vault.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts