Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
March 30, 2020
FDA issues emergency authorization of two anti-malaria drugs

Both chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are used to treat diseases including malaria, and have “shown activity in laboratory studies against coronaviruses, including SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19),” the HHS stated.
“Anecdotal reports suggest that these drugs may offer some benefit in the treatment of hospitalized COVID-19 patients.
Clinical trials are needed to provide scientific evidence that these treatments are effective.”
Under the EUA, health care providers and patients must be given fact sheets outlining the known risks and drug interactions of the medications.
The HSS said it accepted 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine sulfate from an arm of the pharmaceutical company Novartis, and one million of chloroquine phosphate from Bayer Pharmaceuticals to be used for treating hospitalized COVID-19 patients or in clinical trials.
“These and other companies may donate additional doses, and companies have ramped up production to provide additional supplies of the medication to the commercial market,” the HHS said.
“Given the importance of understanding the efficacy of these medications for the treatment and prevention of COVID-19, federal agencies, such as the National Institutes of Health and ASPR’s Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority (BARDA), are working together to plan clinical trials.”
https://inticweb.com/2020/03/30/fda-emergency-authorization-malaria-drug/

Who can the drugs be used to treat?
The authorization is limited to patients who are currently hospitalized and weigh at least 50kg, or about 110 pounds.
Under the emergency use authorization, health care providers must contact their local or state health department to access the drugs.
https://www.kron4.com/news/national/us-fda-issues-limited-emergency-use-authorization-for-two-drugs-usually-used-to-treat-malaria/

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Yes, the US is #1 in cases, but the US is 3rd highest in population (China and India are 1 and 2). So it is idiotic to compare our 331M with Italy's 60M and say we are equal. Also, total cases are not as meaningful as "deaths", namely because the more tested, the higher the number.
I'm keeping an eye on Sweden, since they are not going the "locked down" route.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Spain is now #3 and China #4. China lied and still is. The only way to know the impact is to let it unfold in the rest of the world. Today, we will be 2x China’s numbers.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Up to date information from each state.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/state-by-state-coronavirus-news/ar-BB119PB3?ocid=spartanntp

From there I learned.
Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee has signed Executive Order 23 requiring — not suggesting — that Tennesseans stay home unless they are carrying out essential activities.
> On Thursday, Lee cited analyzed cell phone data and traffic patterns to reach the conclusion such a mandate was necessary. Though a pattern emerged early on, Lee said he couldn't "look too closely" at one or two days to a "trend" before making a significant decision.
> Lee said he is giving local law enforcement agencies across the state the authority to enforce the mandate as they see fit.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smallbusiness/gov-orders-stay-at-home-order-for-residents/ar-BB128TW4

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Idk if the US will start reporting these types of statistics but apparently 73 doctors in Italy have now died from Covid-19.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
They need to mass produce this drug and make it available for everyone.
hydroxychloroquine is mass produced and readily available, it is also cheap and easy to make. I have been on it for 2-3 years for possible lupus, the drug has been around for decades.

·
Registered
12,994 Posts
They want to put it through the same rigorous testing they do with all drugs to see if there are any side effects with this virus. I'd rather have side effects than dead. Those people need to get the stick out of their ass.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
They want to put it through the same rigorous testing they do with all drugs to see if there are any side effects with this virus. I'd rather have side effects than dead. Those people need to get the stick out of their ass.

That's already been done, the side effects are known. The only testing that needs to be done is to see if it works combating this virus.

·
Registered
12,994 Posts
They are worried how it will react with the virus, "within this environment." Apparently they think there might be adverse effects interacting with the virus. Like the virus alone is better than mixing it with a drug. Absolutely nuts. People are dying, but they don't want to risk a cure because it my have adverse side effects.

·
Registered
7,799 Posts
They are worried how it will react with the virus, "within this environment." Apparently they think there might be adverse effects interacting with the virus. Like the virus alone is better than mixing it with a drug. Absolutely nuts. People are dying, but they don't want to risk a cure because it my have adverse side effects.
Because it might end this panic before the first Tuesday in November

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
Why don’t we see any pictures or video of the hospitals or testing centers? In normal times these media clowns would be all over it even if it was shot from 1/4 mile away. Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
5,037 Posts
My town has 33 cases. The next two towns bordering us have 63 & 99. There have been 43 deaths as of 4/4/20

·
Registered
418 Posts
Directly from the virus or people that died and were tested positive for it? The way it is being reported is a sham. If you test positive for the virus, no matter what you die of, they are having it reported as a covid death.
On average, 7,800 people die each day in the U.S.. A very large percentage of those with respiratory causes on ventilators. Or cancer patients on ventilators. The way it is now, they are counted as covid-19 patients if tested positive and had no symptoms of covid-19. They were going to die with it or without it.
What I want to know is this; How much higher is the death rate for people with
Respiratory problems, heart conditions, on dialysis and lung cancer and other immune system disorders than before the virus. If they are getting death certificates that show covid deaths daily, there is no excuse to not have that info as well. Those numbers would give everyone a much clearer picture of how bad it actually is. If the average deaths per day from the other health problems people are dieing of as the approximate number of covid deaths then there really isn't a problem. On average, covid is supposedly killing 121 people per day. With 7800 being normal, 121 more really isn't enough to ruin our economy over.
Unless they don't want to have it for some reason.
Those numbers would paint a much more realistic picture as to just how dangerous it really is.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Where are you getting your information from? I’m trying to follow your logic but it makes little sense. If you are already in the hospital on a ventilator, how did you get covid-19? Covid patients are isolated. If you are on a ventilator you are not breathing unfiltered air. How do you determine if a patient on a ventilator has symptoms? Pretty sure they didn’t get a lung X-ray, and you wouldn’t know if they had breathing problems. Pretty sure if you were compromised enough to be on a ventilator, covid would have killed you faster.

Where did 121 deaths a day from Covid-19 come from? 1165 were recorded yesterday in the US alone. The vast majority of deaths are in isolated clusters, most of the 7800 number you referenced has had little impact from Covid-19. If you tested positive for Covid and got counted, it’s a sharp improvement over how the flu is estimated, you don’t even have to test positive for the flu to be counted, that comes from the C.D.C. themselves.

·
Registered
261 Posts
The death rate for people with pre-existing conditions (especially respiratory) is astronomical higher. They, along with the elderly, make up the vast majority of death from the illness. At-risk groups are always going to have a higher death rate, regardless of a viruses severity.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I can not help but to think that there is movement among certain circles that want to prevent a 5 cents pills from being proven effective, they would prefer to continue holding "clinical testing" for the next two years and come out with something that would cost at least $150 the pill.
Nah! That can not be true in a country like the USA...................

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Average Daily Number of Deaths in the U.S. Due to Various Causes Title
6640 per day 2007
https://www.mdlinx.com/internal-medicine/article/6280
The age-adjusted death rate for Americans decreased by 1.1% (731.9 deaths per 100,000 standard population in 2017 to 723.6 in 2018).

Best I could do current.

61 - 80 of 128 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.