National Gun Forum banner

Cop wants to know what is in the case, is it a gun?

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  coach1299 
#1 ·
So you decide to walk to the range, or you buddies house to go shooting, and you get interrogated for a mere case! WOW

with the civil code so complex and complicated, I guess it is better to not say anything, better safe than sorry.

In California though, if you admit it is a firearm, then the legislation gives them the right (so they think) to inspect the firearm, open the case, run the serial #'rs ect...

Do not answer any questions and have some fun with them lol

#2 ·
Fortunately I live in a free state, so that crap doesn't happen here.

However, if I thought it would be a problem, I'd stick another item like a small screw from a PC case in the case, so I could truthfully say "computer parts"

Reactions: LCPtoter
#3 ·
I'm not so much worried about the cops as I am my neighbors. Got a crew across the street that deal and steal. So I've wondered how I'm going to get my AR in and out of here without looking obvious. So my plan is get one of these for the upper,

Clarinet Oboe soprano Saxophone sax gig bag case NEW

and the lower and stock in my back pack. If anyone asks, I'll tell them I'm taking music lessons.

#7 ·
I'm not so much worried about the cops as I am my neighbors. Got a crew across the street that deal and steal. So I've wondered how I'm going to get my AR in and out of here without looking obvious. So my plan is get one of these for the upper,

Clarinet Oboe soprano Saxophone sax gig bag case NEW

and the lower and stock in my back pack. If anyone asks, I'll tell them I'm taking music lessons.
Call me musically ignorant but when my kids had band instruments it was in hard plastic cases. The item looks to me like a fancy AR case. I have a suspicious kid nearby too that hangs out with suspicious characters.

#4 ·
i was thinking a guitar case...............

as far as the video...........yep, he was having fun.......thought the officers handled it well. The thing is, with more crazies out there, street shootings, random public shootings, college shootings, etc, etc that is in the news, its going to get to a tipping point where the public WILL BE WILLING to sacrifice a little bit of freedom for temporary perceived safety. Keeping pushing the issue and wrapping yourself in the Flag and go for shock and in your face actions......and promote them........well, it may get to the point where the public will clear up any misconceptions with the vote. While we have won many new "pro" laws and have defeated some "anit-gun" laws.....those victories have been without said tactics.

not that i am picking on california..........but such tactics that was "within the law" some years back......such as the starbucks meetings with long guns.......i believe that those tactics back-fired and now open carry of any firearm in california is illegal? So can i see a new bill being promoted and signed into law that prohibits open carry of gun paraphernalia?.....sure could.

Start relying on such tactics...as public "education".....well, the pendulum could swing a different direction with voter opinion.......it did in california apparently.

Reactions: Popeye
#5 ·
Weird... and here in Iowa there is another weirdness. My local LGS is part of a regional franchise that is more or less like a Wal-Mart of sporting goods. The gun section is all the way in the back, in a corner. (Like the local Wal-Mart sells ammo out of a corner on the far end.)

I've been in and out of the gun section more than a few times, took a rifle back in for some re-work, they guys said, no, you don't have to put the (big-bore semiauto 'black rifle') gun in a case, just bring it in. No, you don't have to push in the takedown pin and 'shotgun' it. Just walk in past the cash registers, no problem.

WTH? People are mellow about guns in Iowa, but that mellow? Maybe so! I live in a small woods and don't get out much...

#8 ·
You have the benefit and privilege of living in a free state. Never ever try doing that in a communist state.

#6 ·
I've had cops harass me before. I had one cop that told me from what I could gather that he was going to lie in court about a speeding ticket because he didn't remember me or what happened. I had a run in with him later he saw an ammo can in my hatchback and was telling me he wanted to look at it because he thought it was illegal to have.

I always refuse searches of my vehicle during routine traffic stops. I comply with lawful request but try to know the limitations of the law.

#10 ·
"So I've wondered how I'm going to get my AR in and out of here without looking obvious."

I have a garage, so I park my car with the trunk facing the garage door and just put the lid up. It serves to block viewing from across the street. Otherwise, if I were to re-case all my rifles to musical instrument "deception" appearances, you'd think I was a band "roadie". My gun range visits entail my using 4 to 5 rifles. That a lot of horns and woodwinds!

#15 · (Edited)
Hummm, this reinforces my idea that where ever you are police are your friends as in how can i f** up your day today

It's not the chief of police that asks for this or the city it's the officer's own prerogative

#16 ·
After Paris, tell him it's The First Anti ISIS Defense system - First AID kit

#18 ·
Hmmm. Lessee here.

The police receive a citizen complaint and dispatch an officer. The officer arrives to find a man carrying what appears to be a rifle case down the sidewalk. This man is video and audio recording events and appears to be looking for a confrontation of some sort. He is polite but uncooperative.

The officers initial job is threat assessment. Is the man a threat to the officer? Himself? Another individual? The community? The man's lack of cooperation makes this difficult to ascertain. More interaction is required. 'Backup' is rightfully called for. After a period of time the officer decides the man is not a threat and tells him he is free to go.

He doesn't leave and continues recording the officers. It is now obvious that he is a jackass looking for a fight who may push things to the limit of legality to achieve his goal.

The cops did good. He is an agenda driven clown looking to make a splash.

#20 ·
Nope. Ya just gotta look beyond the obvious.

It also helps to look at any situation from the other guy's point of view before making any conclusions.

#22 ·
Were he not looking for a confrontation to 'prove' his agenda he would not be recording video and audio while walking down the street carrying a gun case.

Had he been actually going somewhere specific with his gun case, he would have continued on about his business when told he was free to go. He didn't. He hung around, still recording, hoping to instigate his agenda proving confrontation.

This entire incident was a set-up designed to entrap the police.

#23 ·
If I was dispatched to this when I was a police officer, I would of not asked the person carrying the case any questions because there is nothing illegal or suspicious for merely carrying a gun case according to the laws that I was taught and the training that I received. I would of reported the following back to dispatch: Subject appears to be carrying a gun case and I see no threat to public safety at this time. I'll be resuming patrol. Not saying that there is any clear right or wrong, not saying that those officers were right or wrong, just saying how I would of handled it. Why would I waste my time or the tax payers time? He showed no threatening behavior, and the chances were that he was looking for just what he got, attention. I would of not given it to him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.