National Gun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a Gun show in Orlando today and took the concealed weapons class :D I've been wanting to do that for a while.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not much, the instructor talked for a hour on gun safety and where you could and couldn't carry a gun. Then we went to the range and fired 6 rounds. Thats about it.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I did a couple classes in Oregon and most of the class was spent discussing the legal issues involving the permit and having to use the gun for defense.

A quote: "Remember pulling that gun is like grabbing the handle of your toilet and flushing your assets down the drain!" Think about it folks! Before you go for that gun! Yikes!

I took some advanced range training and a couple of other advanced classes to help you learn how to control your weapon in the draw, fire routine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dclifton said:
Not much, the instructor talked for a hour on gun safety and where you could and couldn't carry a gun. Then we went to the range and fired 6 rounds. Thats about it.

I have two classes i teach. the first one is the absoulute minimum required to get an alaska state ccl. you have to have 5 hours of lecture from a cop or similar and ive found the cops generally dont know crap. so now i bring in the local DA really good guy and a little bit of a gun nut to.

the other class i offer is a piggy back to my ccw class. (for the ccw class you have to get 6 out of 10 rounds on paper at 7 yards..... life size target kinda like shooting grizzly. never seen any one fail it.) the defensive skills class is an all day shooting course that generally burns threw 250-300 rounds. we go over every thing from holstering,concealment, low light, reloads, use of cover, identifying threats, the difference between cover and concealment, and shooting on the move. and the biggest eye opener of my class is reactionary gap.

ccw classes are all the same there pretty wishy washy and rarely invovle practical application. take a good defensive skills level one class you ll be alot better off with it.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
the other class i offer is a piggy back to my ccw class. (for the ccw class you have to get 6 out of 10 rounds on paper at 7 yards..... life size target kinda like shooting grizzly. never seen any one fail it.) the defensive skills class is an all day shooting course that generally burns threw 250-300 rounds. we go over every thing from holstering,concealment, low light, reloads, use of cover, identifying threats, the difference between cover and concealment, and shooting on the move. and the biggest eye opener of my class is reactionary gap.

ccw classes are all the same there pretty wishy washy and rarely involve practical application. take a good defensive skills level one class you ll be a lot better off with it.

Lee, that sounds like a class that would be very worthwhile for most folks to take that choose to carry a gun. If fact, a good refresher once in a while is good for the majority of us that don't get out to practice the fundamentals as much as we should.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its all the basics. all the theory and a little bit of application in each. basically a step in the right direction kinda class.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[

ccw classes are all the same there pretty wishy washy and rarely involve practical application. take a good defensive skills level one class you ll be a lot better off with it.[/quote]

Although I had a very good instructor for my CCW class, he only touched on the very basics of safety and laws regarding carrying. We had to hit a target I think six times out of ten shots. Sense I'm kind of new to this stuff I would have liked to see more class time required and even range time required as well. I have sense gotten further instruction at the range on my own. I think it's ridiculous to have a CCW class and not teach the stuff mentioned above.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Im not above taking a refresher course, trouble is I dont know of any around here. I just cant afford to go off to a school for a week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts