National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'm currently applying for my concealed carry license and just planning ahead. Any recommendations for holsters, guns, and logistics of concealed carry when wearing a suit or sportcoat (which I wear every day for work)?

Thanks!

·
Aim true !
11,954 Posts
Your going to get many different answers. As we all have our likes for what and how we carry.

·
Super Moderator
14,861 Posts
which state?
Heavy tweed suit or silk suit
Big gun?
Little gun?

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,861 Posts
Many detectives in cities wear suits. They also carry somewhat concealed. They would be an excellent resource.

Alan

·
Registered
24 Posts
I second the shoulder holster. Get a small revolver, like the S&W 637 and tuck it in your armpit.
You will hardly know it's there and nobody else will either.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,885 Posts
As for a firearm, I suggest a Sig P938, Sig P238, CZ 75 Compact, Officer's model 1911, Walther PPK/s, Bersa Thunder 380, among others.

For a suit, sportcoat, etc., get it tailored by someone with years of experience. They should be able to "adjust" the way the suit hangs, to hide any trace of a firearm.

Reactions: bcaz121

·
Super Moderator
14,861 Posts
Sig p938 or S&W Bodyguard depending on your budget (I actually like the S&W because it's thinner and has less sharp corners.

Simply sew or have sewn a pocket divider into the front slacks pocket on your gun hand side. The pistol will fit nicely in next to your thigh and can be accessed by simply putting your hand in your pocket. With the proper material it will not print at all.

It will still be on your person even when you remove your jacket.

Above all, make sure you are legal wherever you go.

Alan

·
Super Moderator
14,861 Posts
It's also going to depend on your build and the fit of the suit.

Alan

·
Premium Member
7,523 Posts
Wait, you’re getting a CC permit in NY? A gun you’re inheriting? I’m no expert on NY carry and possession but if you aren’t a LEO, you’ve got a long road to even possess much less carry. You just can’t pick up a gun left to you and call it your own. Carry permit??? Forget it. I’m from NJ and I think it might be easier for me to get a NJ carry permit and the reality is there’s no way they’ll issue anyone a permit. I could be wrong but…….

·
Registered
889 Posts
One other thing to think about, what are the rules for your place of employment? Also if you are out and about to customers rules about firearms in their places or buildings? Where I work it is automatic termination, just food for thought.

·
Registered
14,892 Posts
Wait, you’re getting a CC permit in NY? A gun you’re inheriting? I’m no expert on NY carry and possession but if you aren’t a LEO, you’ve got a long road to even possess much less carry. You just can’t pick up a gun left to you and call it your own. Carry permit??? Forget it. I’m from NJ and I think it might be easier for me to get a NJ carry permit and the reality is there’s no way they’ll issue anyone a permit. I could be wrong but…….
NY has some vast territory outside of NYC that does allow you to carry with a permit.

Reactions: bcaz121

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi!

I am not in NYC and am aware of the laws in order to legally own and carry a pistol where I live. As for inheriting, my father passed away recently and yes, I cannot simply pick them up. Another relative who is legally licensed to possess guns in that state (not NY) is currently holding my father's pistols for me. Once my pistol permit and CC license have finished approval process (currently takes about 3-4 months where I live), I plan on taking possession of them through licensed FFLs (one from the state where they are to my local one). As I said in the original post, the pistols my father left me may not be the best for CC so may want to purchase another, but as for the legality part, I'm making sure I'm crossing all the "T'"s and dotting the "i's."

Thanks to all for your replies so far. I'm enjoying the discussion.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
You have many different options while wearing a suit.
As some have mentioned shoulder holster. Also OWB holster is most comfortable also.
I prefer OWB over IWB for comfort and with a suit there is no problems.
I no longer need to wear a suit daily, but for occasions when I do. I mostly carry on my belt OWB

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Have a competent tailor adapt (tailor) your suitcoat to the shoulder holster and handgun of your choice.

Reactions: Wag

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
shoulder holster.
Yep! Galco Miami Classic 2
Nothing but the best! I use mine almost every day around the farm. It is all day comfortable. Horizontal magazines are nice also. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I second the shoulder holster. Get a small revolver, like the S&W 637 and tuck it in your armpit.
You will hardly know it's there and nobody else will either.
Shoulder holster for sure. I used to carry a 4" Colt Python in one. Maybe a little slower on the (cross) draw, but nobody ever saw it. Get a good leather one, not the crap Kydex and nylon BS.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts