National Gun Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there make a practical concealed carry holster for a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt with a 4 5/8 inch barrel?

I;m mainly wanting something I can wear under a coat or long shirt in the fall or winter.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I only know one man who ever carried a BH and he was almsot as fast as Bob Munden with it and he was very accurate also. It takes a lot of time and practice to get that good. Most perfer more than six shots and something a little eaiser to carry.:biggrin5:

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
i can understand like a Redhawk, or a Smith wheelgun (i carry my 44 with a 8 inch barrel) but a single action!!!??! WTF?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a "farm" (it's really my hundred acres I bought for hunting) about 30 miles from my home. Normally, when I'm there I have my Ruger Vaquero on a hip holster, but I get tired of taking it on and off to go into town and such, so I thought if someone made a holster that rode a little higher on the belt it might be more convenient. I'm not anticipating any fast draw situations.

Generally for concealed carry everywhere else I have Keltec P-11.

I'll try some of those holster sites.

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
Id like to applogize for questioning what you gun you prefer to carry. I myself carry a 44 magnum revolver and I wouldnt like someone questioning me. It was a very rude move and Im sorry.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Id like to applogize for questioning what you gun you prefer to carry. I myself carry a 44 magnum revolver and I wouldnt like someone questioning me. It was a very rude move and Im sorry.

It takes a gentleman to admit it when he steps over the line. Good for you 44mag lover.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem really. Actually, I was going to ask if there is any appreciable difference in 4 5/8 44 mags vs the 7 1/2 inch 44 mags say in a Super Blackhawk as far as performance or handling?

I used to own a 7 1/2 44 mag years ago, like 36 years ago, but I haven't really shot one in a long time.

It would be nice if there was perfect a handgun for all occasions, you know, you could shrink it if you need to or go bigger if you have to.

Actually, if you remember the old Dan Wesson 357s, they were kinda like that, change barrels, change grips and you're good to go for something different. Maybe someone could do that with a big bore like a 44 or 45. Although, here in Missouri I can't imagine that there's anything I can't stop with a 357 if I had to.

·
The 500 S&W stare...
10,304 Posts
I can understand CC with a single action. It keeps it outa the rain and slop while you work.

As far as performance, I have taken deer with a 4 inch and even s 3 inch barelled 629 with fine results. I have recovered any bullets so far, only dead deer with exit holes. The 4 inch gets 240 grain bullets while I stepped back to 180s for the 3 inch to keep velocity up for the hollowpoint.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
i can understand like a Redhawk, or a Smith wheelgun (i carry my 44 with a 8 inch barrel) but a single action!!!??! WTF?

Cheesus, man - how do you carry that concealed? Shoulder holster? I've got enough trouble with a 3 or 4" barrel poking out from under my overshirt or jacket.

p.s. - Congrats on being man enough to admit a mistake - a very rare occurence here and anywhere else in cyberspace.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
I think you need to start off with some big loose oversized clothing and I'm not being sarcastic. I sometimes carry my 6" L frame 357 mag on me as a black bear defense gun. I have an oversized wind breaker that hides it just fine in my hunter holster attatched to my heavy pants belt.

G

·
Does anyone out there make a practical concealed carry holster for a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt with a 4 5/8 inch barrel?

I;m mainly wanting something I can wear under a coat or long shirt in the fall or winter.

Several folks make concealment holsters for SA's. I would give El Paso Saddlery a call. They have a open top and a thumb snap pancake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts